U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 10:37 AM

5,319 posts, read 7,855,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
My sentiments exactly. She probably told him she was leaving him and that it was over, then he killed her, then made it appear like it was accidental. He should spend the rest of his life behind bars, or executed, for what he did. Damn shame.
And if Oscar approached the bathroom door and actually believed an intruder was inside, wouldn't he have yelled at the door something like "Who's in the bathroom? Come out now or I'll shoot ... I have a gun!"

And wouldn't Reeva have replied back from inside the bathroom?

I find it completely impossible for me to believe Oscar's version of the story.

And it's amazing that Oscar wasn't found guilty of 1st degree murder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 10:55 AM

1,429 posts, read 959,484 times
If not 1st degree, then 2nd degree. I don't beliieve his lame brain story 1 bit!!!

Old 10-18-2014, 11:15 AM

7,106 posts, read 9,341,059 times
It's a tough call. He's a batterer for sure and those guys by definition are childish, melodramatic, unstable, likely to shoot first and ask questions never -- but you sure wouldn't want to see someone use that as a mitigating factor in a criminal trial.

I also want to know more about what the definition of 1st degree murder is in South Africa. It's all a matter of the wording of the law. Their laws might make it impossible to give this guy what he deserves. I just read a book that explains that in Tennessee it is close to flat impossible to get a 1st-degree murder conviction, unless the guy videotapes or writes out for posterity exactly what he plans to do and to whom. Otherwise it is 2nd-degree or less.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:17 AM

55,647 posts, read 74,585,953 times
what do we learn from this? dont own firearms? watch out for high achievers? watch out for ADA people? dont mess with ADA boyfriends? dont use the bathroom if there is a gun in the house?
avoid people that do olympics they are over stressed?
what is the lesson?

Old 10-18-2014, 11:27 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,047,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
what do we learn from this? dont own firearms? watch out for high achievers? watch out for ADA people? dont mess with ADA boyfriends? dont use the bathroom if there is a gun in the house?
what is the lesson?
It's the same lesson the world over:

Money, power, and prestige can get you out of almost anything.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:27 AM

7,106 posts, read 9,341,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
what is the lesson?
Don't date a borderline-paranoid batterer who sleeps with a gun under his pillow after threatening to kill you with it.

Old 10-18-2014, 03:38 PM

15,158 posts, read 13,418,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
And if Oscar approached the bathroom door and actually believed an intruder was inside, wouldn't he have yelled at the door something like "Who's in the bathroom? Come out now or I'll shoot ... I have a gun!"

And wouldn't Reeva have replied back from inside the bathroom?

I find it completely impossible for me to believe Oscar's version of the story.

And it's amazing that Oscar wasn't found guilty of 1st degree murder.
If I thought I had an intruder TRAPPED in the bathroom, I would have yelled for Reeva to call the cops while I guarded the door.....then told the intruder if he opens the bathroom door he is going to get shot.

Then, of course, Reeva would have called out that it was her in the bathroom.

Like you and others, I also think he should have gotten life, as I believe he knew damn well it was Reeva he was shooting at.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:01 AM

15,158 posts, read 13,418,020 times
Just heard on the news.....he only got 5 years in prison.

Does that mean he can be up for parole and out in 2 or 3 years like in the US?

Old 10-21-2014, 04:54 AM

25,877 posts, read 39,135,773 times
Under Dutch law which is similar to what South Africa has he will be out in 2-3 years or sooner for time served.

What a judicial error for a guy who shot his girl friend.

I feel for the parents and hope other girls stay far from this ticking time bomb.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:06 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,047,847 times
I just heard on Today show that he could only do 10 months and then be placed on house arrest. With the severe overcrowding of South African prisons, that is a real possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or