U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-03-2015, 05:34 PM
 
Location: tampa bay
6,587 posts, read 6,819,999 times
Reputation: 9851

Advertisements

Can't believe the prosecution gets to appeal a loss in S.African courts...but hope the murderous bum does some hard time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-03-2015, 06:49 PM
 
2,502 posts, read 1,543,879 times
Reputation: 5349
Yes! This P.O.S scum-bag should have been convicted or murder from the beginning. It's obvious that he knew his g.f. was in the bathroom. It's also obvious that the only reason he wasn't convicted from the beginning was because of all of his money & notoriety as an athlete.

Hopefully this piece of twisted excrement will get either prison for the rest of his life, or the death penalty. However, I doubt either will happen - he's got way too much money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2015, 09:36 PM
 
1,562 posts, read 1,137,168 times
Reputation: 2686
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
So he's guilty of killing someone intentionally. Surprise, surprise.

I'm probably the odd one out here but I think the guy is a class A idiot and intended to kill someone... but just didn't intend to kill the girlfriend. He's obviously the type to shoot first and ask questions later. But I don't think there's a "stupid moron" defense." I believe he was an uber paranoid personality type, with idiot tendencies, and a trigger happy finger, waiting for the chance to take someone out because he assumed there would eventually be someone to try to enter his home. Being rich, famous, living in S. Africa with an extremely high crime rate... could give him cause to think he was a legitimate target which set him on edge. If he's not the sharpest tool in the tool shed and paranoid, he's going to do things that contradict common sense (maybe he doesn't have common sense???). I don't know... we'll never know for sure I guess. I'm glad he's getting jail time though, killing that poor woman the way he did... intentional or not.
I would certainly agree that you're the "odd one out" here. If you live in a high-crime area and someone breaks into your home, "shoot first" is the most sensible policy. If I believed for a moment that Pistorius honestly didn't know who was in that stall(which I don't), I think he should walk free. You, on the other hand, think he should be locked up either way. So, in your mind apparently, shooting an intruder in your home warrants a prison sentence. Incredible. And you say all of this, without a hint of irony, as you call someone else an idiot and question their common sense. Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2015, 09:08 AM
 
Location: CA
2,464 posts, read 5,820,795 times
Reputation: 2593
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
I would certainly agree that you're the "odd one out" here. If you live in a high-crime area and someone breaks into your home, "shoot first" is the most sensible policy. If I believed for a moment that Pistorius honestly didn't know who was in that stall(which I don't), I think he should walk free. You, on the other hand, think he should be locked up either way. So, in your mind apparently, shooting an intruder in your home warrants a prison sentence. Incredible. And you say all of this, without a hint of irony, as you call someone else an idiot and question their common sense. Wow.

I'm not interested in arguing my point with an incurious poster who isn't interested in benign discourse. Find someone else to quote and blabber to. Have a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2015, 09:25 AM
 
5,190 posts, read 4,047,062 times
Reputation: 13169
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I'm not interested in arguing my point with an incurious poster who isn't interested in benign discourse. Find someone else to quote and blabber to. Have a good day.
So you can't defend your position in other words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2015, 09:39 AM
 
Location: CA
2,464 posts, read 5,820,795 times
Reputation: 2593
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
So you can't defend your position in other words.
Of course I can. But not with someone who is implying that I'm an idiot and puts words in my mouth and/or misinterpret what's stated without clarification. Been contributing to CD since 2007. And my experience with people like that is conversations go nowhere (if I wanted that, I'd go the Political threads).

Last edited by mommabear2; 12-05-2015 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2015, 02:09 PM
 
1,562 posts, read 1,137,168 times
Reputation: 2686
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Of course I can. But not with someone who is implying that I'm an idiot and puts words in my mouth and/or misinterpret what's stated without clarification. Been contributing to CD since 2007. And my experience with people like that is conversations go nowhere (if I wanted that, I'd go the Political threads).
You're more than welcome to clarify your post if you feel it's been misinterpreted. Pistorius admitted that he emptied a pistol at an occupied toilet stall; it's no revelation that he intended to shoot/kill someone. But without any ambiguity, you stated that you believe he "didn't intend to kill the girlfriend". If that's so, why do you think he should be imprisoned? For protecting himself, his girlfriend and his home by shooting at an intruder?

No one has put words in your mouth. I think it's precisely as mochamajesty suggested; you simply can't defend your position. It's much easier to just respond with a dismissive post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2015, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Canada
5,878 posts, read 2,378,409 times
Reputation: 5335
I'm just thankful that South Africa has a system when any Judge who mis-applies laws to charges..disregards all evidence..then applies some laws that suit her (mis) interpretation of accused evidence > gets "Judged" on how she processed the law!! (Sorry for run on sentence )

Oscar will have to face his Judge once again..and be sentenced appropriately. I for one hope it's the max..why? Because I do NOT believe Oscar's story one bit. He boo hoo'd his way to appear sorry..however, his past history and gun knowledge and past careless usage speaks volumes !! He knew he shot to kill..and I happen to believe he knew it was Reeve..

BUT no one can prove what was in his head..BUT his behaviour and carelessness alone was enough to prove intentional murder..NOT an accidental murder..and that what the Appeal Court found!!

Just a thought tho..IF he got out after just 1 year ( after 5 year sentence) will that mean he'll be out in the next 2 years? OR is an intention murder make it more difficult to get parole? Given his "Status" (Wealth and fame) there, I have to wonder just what "Perks" go with that status??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2015, 09:00 AM
 
2,502 posts, read 1,543,879 times
Reputation: 5349
What I think happened is that Pistorius got into a serious argument with his g.f., she locked herself in the bathroom, and he shot through the door in a rage, killing her. Then, he back-pedaled & made up the story about thinking that an intruder was in the bathroom. Obviously, we'll never know what happened here since the only other person that can tell us what really occurred is the g.f., who is deceased. He had anger issues, so I wouldn't put this past him at all.

However, even if I'm wrong & Pistorius genuinely believed that an intruder was in the bathroom, he still shouldn't have shot through the door - on the chance that it was his g.f. in there. I'm not sure if they lived together or not, but I do find it unlikely that he didn't know she was in the house at the time; even if she came in while he was asleep & he woke up, startled, and heard someone in the bathroom, he should have asked if it was her before he started shooting up the house.

In either case, as far as I'm concerned he's guilty of murder - whether or not he was 100% sure she was in the bathroom or not.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 12-06-2015 at 09:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2015, 05:05 PM
 
1,562 posts, read 1,137,168 times
Reputation: 2686
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
What I think happened is that Pistorius got into a serious argument with his g.f., she locked herself in the bathroom, and he shot through the door in a rage, killing her. Then, he back-pedaled & made up the story about thinking that an intruder was in the bathroom. Obviously, we'll never know what happened here since the only other person that can tell us what really occurred is the g.f., who is deceased. He had anger issues, so I wouldn't put this past him at all.

However, even if I'm wrong & Pistorius genuinely believed that an intruder was in the bathroom, he still shouldn't have shot through the door - on the chance that it was his g.f. in there. I'm not sure if they lived together or not, but I do find it unlikely that he didn't know she was in the house at the time; even if she came in while he was asleep & he woke up, startled, and heard someone in the bathroom, he should have asked if it was her before he started shooting up the house.

In either case, as far as I'm concerned he's guilty of murder - whether or not he was 100% sure she was in the bathroom or not.
We know exactly what happened, and you're not wrong. It doesn't take a genius to recognize what took place here. Even an "incurious poster" can see that Pistorius knew exactly who he was shooting at. Who is startled awake in the middle of the night and doesn't notice if his girlfriend is in bed next to him? Of those, who would then proceed to unload a pistol on a toilet stall without warning? Nobody. Clear as day, this was a murder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top