U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 03:21 PM

2,431 posts, read 4,618,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
First, he was not an "Olympic Hero". People who play games well are not heroes. The misplaced worship we have for athletes is part of the reason that the news over the past few weeks has been dominated by athletes revealing themselves to be humans.
That's one of my pet peeves. The over-use and mis-use of the word "hero" has really weakened the term. So few "real" heroes these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 06:22 PM

2,683 posts, read 3,417,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
First, he was not an "Olympic Hero". People who play games well are not heroes. The misplaced worship we have for athletes is part of the reason that the news over the past few weeks has been dominated by athletes revealing themselves to be humans.
I think he was considered a "hero" by many because of dealing with his disabilities and becoming an incredible athlete despite being a double amputee. He certainly wasn't your typical athlete.

I do agree that we shouldn't treat athletes as heroes, although I do think people in the public eye should try to be good role models.

Unfortunately so many athletes are treated as golden gods in school (I'm especially thinking of American football players), that they get away with a lot of bad behavior. This does not do them or anyone else much good.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,659,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
-In 2009 he spent a night in jail after allegedly assaulting a 19 year old woman.
-Neighbors said that police had been called to investigate incidents of a "domestic nature" at his house in the past.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/14/oscar-pistorius-murder-girlfriends-shooting

-An article in January, 2012 in the New York Times magazine described him talking about how he pulled a pistol to search his home when his alarm went off the night before an interview.
At Pistorius’s suggestion, he and the journalist went to a nearby target range where they fired at targets with a 9mm pistol. At one point Pistorius told the writer: “If you practised, I think you could be pretty deadly.” Asked how often he went target shooting, Pistorius replied: “Just sometimes when I can’t sleep.” -United Kingdom Press
Very interesting set of facts. His past is showing his violent side and its not looking good for him. You just don't shoot through a door "thinking it was a burglar."

I RARELY do this, because of alot of reasons, however, in this case, this guy is most likely guilty. I'm just wondering what sparked such a fight he would kill her???

Old 02-20-2013, 04:15 AM

5,144 posts, read 10,859,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Very interesting set of facts. His past is showing his violent side and its not looking good for him. You just don't shoot through a door "thinking it was a burglar."

I RARELY do this, because of alot of reasons, however, in this case, this guy is most likely guilty. I'm just wondering what sparked such a fight he would kill her???

In the south africa thread I posted this and other info about head injuries. Before that incident and this current one he had a severe injury and that can make anyone prone to violent behavior for years after it happens. Triggers can be minimal to none.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:35 AM

5,319 posts, read 7,862,758 times
The excuse Pistorius gave yesterday seems too far fetched.

I would be really surprised if a jury believes it?

His girlfriend was sleeping with him that night.

He "supposedly" got up in the middle of the night to go to the balcony because he thought a robber was in the bathroom.

Wouldn't he have immediately noticed that his girlfriend wasn't in the bed as he got up, and wouldn't his first assumption be that she was in the bathroom?

If he thought there was danger in his home, wouldn't he be concerned about where his girlfriend was?

Why would he not simply yell out to the bathroom "Honey ... is that you in the bathroom?" or something like that, before firing gunshots through a closed door?

And if a female behind the bathroom door started screaming when the gunshots were going off, wouldn't he have immediately realized it was his girlfriend inside the bathroom, and not a burglar, and then stop shooting? So why did he continue to shoot at least 2 more bullets? She was hit in three different locations.

Also, since witnesses heard an argument coming from their home, I doubt his story about his not arguing with her will stand up in court.

It also seems like he is now trying to use his handicap to play upon the sympathy of the court.

Last edited by RD5050; 02-20-2013 at 08:45 AM..

Old 02-20-2013, 09:23 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 22 days ago)

8,704 posts, read 10,850,989 times
I don't buy his story, from what I've heard anyways. You can be a hero and still do things like this. Your personal life doesn't always match your public personna.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:16 PM

8,233 posts, read 11,277,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You have no clue if that's true.

Maybe you've never heard of knives? Too bad OJ didn't have a gun. The crime scene wouldn't have been so messy.

This is a lame retort as OJ had intent. supposedly this person had none. a knife would require close proximity where he may have noticed it was his girlfriend... Now if with a knife, he still killed her then you must question his intent. You are far more likely to survive a knife attack than that of guns... Compare Sandy Hook with the knife attack in China 27 deaths vs none...

Now you can go back and place your fingers in your ears and pretend not to hear. I stand by she would be alive had the gun not been present,,

Old 02-21-2013, 06:44 AM

19,398 posts, read 17,499,328 times
Olympic hero is not a term that has much meaning. I would have made an exception in his case since he did overcome great adversity and was a huge inspiration to many which did make him rise above other athletes. But now he's just a murderer, a criminal.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:12 AM

147 posts, read 189,058 times
When they got into the details of needles and testosterone (or some type of herbal equivalent), my first thought was he went into a roid rage and murdered his wife. He had to have had it in him prior to snapping though. ...And shooting through a bathroom as a further scare tactic that went horribly wrong? Poor woman.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:13 AM

5,319 posts, read 7,862,758 times
I'm really bugged about his firing shots through a closed door without knowing who he was firing at?

Why would he begin shooting at a closed bathroom door without first knowing where his girlfriend was?

Was this the very first time his girlfriend (whom he was "deeply in love with") ever went to the bathroom in the middle of the night, that he has no previous experience with this exact situation?

If so, wouldn't he have gone for his gun on every previous occasion has well? What made him decide to pull a gun on this specific night, and not on previous nights?

I think this guy is guilty as hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or