U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 08:08 AM

5,144 posts, read 10,847,982 times

Advertisements

Prosecutors: Fifth-grade boys brought knife, gun to school in plot to kill classmate - U.S. News

"SEATTLE -- Two fifth-grade boys are in custody in Washington state after they brought a knife and gun to school with the goal of killing a schoolmate in a foiled murder plot that shocked their rural town because of their youth, prosecutors said on Friday."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 12:23 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,448,932 times
Those little sociopaths need to be institutionalized/medicated.

Their young age means nothing. They knew perfectly well what they were doing and understood the consequences of their actions.

They are too dangerous to be allowed out in society. Imagine what they will do once they're older?

Old 02-18-2013, 02:41 PM

I know right?!

I was surprised no one else had a reaction to this. I would not want that child in my house even if it was my own. Permanent hospitalization.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:58 PM

7,106 posts, read 9,341,059 times
You guys are really overestimating the social development of a 10-year-old. And Opsy, if that child were yours you probably would have been the one who taught him to behave that way, so you'd be charging unto the breach to defend him!

The other most likely possibility is that they were getting so badly harassed by the intended victim, and the school was doing so little about it, that they figured all they could do was take matters into their own hands. It happens.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
You guys are really overestimating the social development of a 10-year-old. And Opsy, if that child were yours you probably would have been the one who taught him to behave that way, so you'd be charging unto the breach to defend him!

The other most likely possibility is that they were getting so badly harassed by the intended victim, and the school was doing so little about it, that they figured all they could do was take matters into their own hands. It happens.

It will be interesting to see what the parents are like. No way would I defend a kid that did this.
Sorry. I would worry for the rest of the family's safety. It bugs me when kids do messed up things and the parents get quoted on them being a "good kid". Just sounds like a parent not paying attention.
Also would not of let the school let the bullying thing go. There are plenty of signs to look out for if your kid is getting picked on. Parents need to be parents and start paying attention to that stuff. Makes me wonder what life would be for them if the parents came in to rectify this issue before it got to a death plot.

Two words: Mary Bell - 10 year old serial killer. You can find more stories on "kids who kill" if you look around of course.

She used the same lure technique to do this.

If the bully story is true I will agree with you on that one. Schools should take that much more seriously than they do considering its absolutely unnecessary and creates a hostile environment for everyone, including the bully when it gets to the "bite back" phase.

The ease of gun access will always bother me when its a kid this young. I think they should start requiring purchase of a trigger lock if not a gun safe to hopefully avoid some of these types of issues.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
It will be interesting to see what the parents are like. No way would I defend a kid that did this.
Sorry. I would worry for the rest of the family's safety. It bugs me when kids do messed up things and the parents get quoted on them being a "good kid". Just sounds like a parent not paying attention.
Also would not of let the school let the bullying thing go. There are plenty of signs to look out for if your kid is getting picked on. Parents need to be parents and start paying attention to that stuff. Makes me wonder what life would be for them if the parents came in to rectify this issue before it got to a death plot.

Two words: Mary Bell - 10 year old serial killer. You can find more stories on "kids who kill" if you look around of course.

She used the same lure technique to do this.

If the bully story is true I will agree with you on that one. Schools should take that much more seriously than they do considering its absolutely unnecessary and creates a hostile environment for everyone, including the bully when it gets to the "bite back" phase.

The ease of gun access will always bother me when its a kid this young. I think they should start requiring purchase of a trigger lock if not a gun safe to hopefully avoid some of these types of issues.
But Mary Bell was a battered, chronically sexually violated girl. Her mother was severely mentally ill. Were there any such antecedents with these kids? The thing is, that would make them even more vulnerable to harassment by other kids, or just fear of the people around them even if they aren't being harassed with an exaggerated sense of danger and maybe the need to kill them to make themselves feel safe. If it's "just" bullying, the schools are pretty useless in addressing it; if the kids have serious mental issues already at 10 and were also being harassed, they'll just blame the kids and continue to do nothing about the way they were treated.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
But Mary Bell was a battered, chronically sexually violated girl. Her mother was severely mentally ill. Were there any such antecedents with these kids? The thing is, that would make them even more vulnerable to harassment by other kids, or just fear of the people around them even if they aren't being harassed with an exaggerated sense of danger and maybe the need to kill them to make themselves feel safe. If it's "just" bullying, the schools are pretty useless in addressing it; if the kids have serious mental issues already at 10 and were also being harassed, they'll just blame the kids and continue to do nothing about the way they were treated.
There are people out there that have gone through that though and don't turn into killers.

We shall see with the parents of these kids. Absolutely agree with you on that making them a bigger target which..where is the guidance counselor? The teachers? (etc)

If this happened at my school I would also bring up the bullying aspect at a PTA meeting. All those kids are put in danger because no one wants do anything about it DESPITE it being part of their job.
I think they should give the bullies a three strikes you are out. Then you get to go to the "bad kids" school in your area and maybe then they will learn why you don't act like an animal unless you want to be treated like one. Its emotional terrorism gone unchecked to me. People need to wake up and realize abuse can break a person. Even if it just comes from kids. There have been a lot of articles about schoolyard aged suicides due to bullying...I don't understand why people let it go.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
There are people out there that have gone through that though and don't turn into killers.
I understand that, but sooner or later everyone runs out of ideas. Some kills themselves; some turn to drugs; some kill others. There are very few other options.

Quote:
We shall see with the parents of these kids. Absolutely agree with you on that making them a bigger target which..where is the guidance counselor? The teachers? (etc)

If this happened at my school I would also bring up the bullying aspect at a PTA meeting. All those kids are put in danger because no one wants do anything about it DESPITE it being part of their job.
I think they should give the bullies a three strikes you are out. Then you get to go to the "bad kids" school in your area and maybe then they will learn why you don't act like an animal unless you want to be treated like one. Its emotional terrorism gone unchecked to me. People need to wake up and realize abuse can break a person. Even if it just comes from kids. There have been a lot of articles about schoolyard aged suicides due to bullying...I don't understand why people let it go.
In some cases the teachers are joining in on the harassment themselves. Others are too dense to see that kids don't behave the same in front of them as they do out of the line of sight of an adult. And they think it;s none of their business.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:54 AM

I think they need to start hitting apathetic teacher where it counts. The paycheck. Sick of unions that do nothing but protect incompetence. But thats another rant for another thread.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:05 AM

With all the fluff courses they make people take in teacher's college, why do they not have instructions in the prevention and cure of student-on-student brutality? One problem is that people who grow up to be teachers were very happy and successful in school and never want to leave; they were almost certainly not bullied in any significant way. Bullying is as far off their radar as mutual funds are off the radar of a blue-ribbon hog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or