U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 03:50 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,803,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpajr View Post
At least it is white collar crime?
Does that make it better for honest tax payers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 08:49 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,958,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
There's only one way to end this sort of thing: end the income tax and end the IRS as we know it. Consumption taxes, fees, tariffs, etc. That'll do it.
So let me get this straight -- you are going to tell every retiree in America that after paying 30-40% of their income to the government their entire lives so that they can now spend their hard-earned money that they saved, they get to continue paying those same level of taxes but without the income?

Good luck with that!

Old 02-17-2013, 09:03 PM

5,556 posts, read 5,100,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
So let me get this straight -- you are going to tell every retiree in America that after paying 30-40% of their income to the government their entire lives so that they can now spend their hard-earned money that they saved, they get to continue paying those same level of taxes but without the income?

Good luck with that!
So let me get this straight -- you are going to make something up entirely out of thin air and pretend I said it? Good luck with that!

All I said was, elimination of the income tax and replacement by a simpler, more secure, more workable system is inevitable in a globalized society. That's all. It's just inevitable, however it's done.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:02 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,380,437 times
Or the state of Florida, at any rate!

Old 02-19-2013, 05:22 AM

4,837 posts, read 3,495,356 times
Quote:
So let me get this straight -- you are going to make something up entirely out of thin air and pretend I said it? Good luck with that!

All I said was, elimination of the income tax and replacement by a simpler, more secure, more workable system is inevitable in a globalized society. That's all. It's just inevitable, however it's done.
aside from a few island nations that are mainly tax shelters, some oil rich arab kingdoms, which countries do you see that don't have an income tax?. You probably think smaller goverment, no new taxes makes a fiscal policy platform.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:52 AM

8,706 posts, read 8,853,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
You probably think smaller goverment, no new taxes makes a fiscal policy platform.
Yep!

New taxes has proven to be a failed policy. I won't even debate you or any other big brother believers, because there never is any convincing you. What works is smaller "federal" government, a broader tax base (not additional taxes), closing loopholes and returning more decision making power to local and state governments.

After the last several years and including the upcoming several years, there is now no way to pay off the debt, other than hyper-inflation. It's a done deal at this point. We have already gone over the cliff.

I won't even comment on this again, as I was only commenting on it in response to the post above.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:33 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,539,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
That is exactly the problem. The punishment for this type of crime should be stif to discourage these people. If some kids carry in his poket a drug, he could be in jail for a long time. This kid didn't even affect anybody yet. These criminals holding identities of other people should also be sent to prison for years....even before stealing

Unfortunately, it is becoming a risk/reward kind of thing for the cons. You can easily steal thousands of money without a gun and get away with slap in the rist.

The only way people can do is minimize the likelihood of their identity being stolen, which is not easy task.
Without divulging too much (company policy), I work for a major brand as a fraud analyst and let me tell you, these fraudsters are VERY creative. Unfortunately, I see identity theft on a daily basis and it is a full time job just maintaining fraud detection. Companies are cropping up all over to offer their (IT) services for fraud prevention and as soon as you have one tool in place, the fraudsters figure out a loop hole and you're back to scrambling for the next answer. It's a perpetual cycle. From what I have seen, it makes me want to operate on cash only.

And to tag onto Denudin's post, it takes a lot to build a case to interest outside authorities - not because they don't care, but because it is so widespread, they have to draw the line on what consititutes being worthy of their time and investigative resources.

So everyone, be careful out there!!

Old 02-19-2013, 07:16 AM

5,556 posts, read 5,100,453 times
"From what I have seen, it makes me want to operate on cash only."

Exactly. Which is why the income tax as we know it is just not viable as a method anymore. Too much paper trail, too much electronic trail. The SS# has become a method of destroying people's lives. And as you've illustrated, it's going to get worse, not better.

There are so many ways of raising revenue outside of an income tax. For one thing, fees on wire transfers out of the country could more than cover the enormous amounts that we as citizens pay for illegal immigration and the problems created. It was attempted, but all the sob stories put an end to that.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:27 AM

158 posts, read 193,929 times
Quote:

He was gunned down by a thug. I'd hardly call that "white collar crime".
i didnt mean to make light of the dead postman, my mistake.

unfortunately that shooting is what happens when people who are too stupid to get involved in identity theft and tax fraud get involved in identity theft and tax fraud.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:28 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,539,910 times
Over the weekend, I finally went through all my old files so I can shred/destroy what has been piling up. I know I'm dating myself but I was reminded at how little our information was protected years ago. Old bank statements contained my social security #, old receipts contained the *full* 16 digits of a credit card, billing return envelopes requesting your acct. # on the return address, etc..

Back then (and, really, we're not talking that long ago), more of our information was out there yet it wasn't as easily compromised. With today's technology, the fraudsters are just as smart as the good guys. Computers have allowed them to steal our identities from the comfort of their own homes (or from wherever it is they operate) vs. rifling through our garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or