U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 07:44 AM

5,556 posts, read 5,068,477 times

Advertisements

"i didnt mean to make light of the dead postman, my mistake.

unfortunately that shooting is what happens when people who are too stupid to get involved in identity theft and tax fraud get involved in identity theft and tax fraud."

No worries, didn't mean to attack you or anything. I figured maybe you hadn't read the entire article. I've been following this whole issue on the news and it just enrages me.

"Back then (and, really, we're not talking that long ago), more of our information was out there yet it wasn't as easily compromised."

I also think people had more ethics in their behavior, too. Office personnel weren't that tempted to pass on sensitive information. Seems like these days, to some people, it's sort of a joke to grab that SS# from some job applicant and pass it on to a friend or significant other for a little fun and profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 AM

4,823 posts, read 3,480,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Yep!

New taxes has proven to be a failed policy. I won't even debate you or any other big brother believers, because there never is any convincing you. What works is smaller "federal" government, a broader tax base (not additional taxes), closing loopholes and returning more decision making power to local and state governments.

After the last several years and including the upcoming several years, there is now no way to pay off the debt, other than hyper-inflation. It's a done deal at this point. We have already gone over the cliff.

I won't even comment on this again, as I was only commenting on it in response to the post above.
I am not arguing high school economics, yes less taxes stimulates the economy, money multiplier etc. BTW deficits don't cause inflation. According to the members of the house majority closing loopholes are new taxes. My point is less government is a tag line, is not a comprehensive policy which is what we need to run the economy. I would welcome any policies to reduce spending as long they aren't of the "sink or swim" type to our less fortunate members of society.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:58 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,535,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post

I also think people had more ethics in their behavior, too. Office personnel weren't that tempted to pass on sensitive information. Seems like these days, to some people, it's sort of a joke to grab that SS# from some job applicant and pass it on to a friend or significant other for a little fun and profit.
To that point, I took a webinar in which the guest speaker was a former convicted *********. It was extremely valuable and insightful. When posed with the question "why" (what drove him to commit numerous acts of fraud) do you know what his top reason was? Not for the money as one might assume but for the shear thrill of it and the adrenaline rush of just how much he could get away with.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:19 AM

8,706 posts, read 8,818,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I am not arguing high school economics, yes less taxes stimulates the economy, money multiplier etc. BTW deficits don't cause inflation. According to the members of the house majority closing loopholes are new taxes. My point is less government is a tag line, is not a comprehensive policy which is what we need to run the economy. I would welcome any policies to reduce spending as long they aren't of the "sink or swim" type to our less fortunate members of society.
Clarification - I did not say deficits "cause" inflation. I was saying given that there is no way to ever pay off the debt now in real terms (we simply cannot tax enough to pay it off anymore....the horse has left the barn on that one), the only way to wipe it out is "intentional" hyper-inflation. At some point, it will be done....by either side of the isle. They will not admit they are doing it, but they will do it. So a loaf of bread may cost $20.00, but you may make $250 and hour. Look it up and you will see how it is the only way out at this point. BOTH sides of the isle, including current powers that be, have created and continue to worsen the situation. There is no plan on either side, in any way, shape or form, that actually corrects the real issue. It's all smoke and mirrors, for the benefit of re-election....again on BOTH sides.

Of course party loyalists....on BOTH sides....will claim their guy (side) is doing the right thing and it is all the other guy's (sides) fault.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:57 PM

3,926 posts, read 10,313,410 times
This is old news. The tax fraud and identity theft was broken by the Tampa Police Department back in 2010 and coined Operation Rainmaker. Here's one article of many from September 2011: 49 accused of tax fraud and identity theft | Tampa Bay Times

And look at the number of fraudulent returns from 2011 and the first nine months of 2012: : http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...191809671.html

I feel bad for the victims. Several reports said the IRS would not give them their refunds due.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 02-19-2013 at 03:09 PM..

Old 02-19-2013, 03:48 PM

25,881 posts, read 39,160,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
To that point, I took a webinar in which the guest speaker was a former convicted *********. It was extremely valuable and insightful. When posed with the question "why" (what drove him to commit numerous acts of fraud) do you know what his top reason was? Not for the money as one might assume but for the shear thrill of it and the adrenaline rush of just how much he could get away with.
I have a hard time believing that, I think first of all it is for the money andwhat they can buy for it...maybe later the other thing kicks in, but I don't think that is how it starts.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:04 PM

4,229 posts, read 5,695,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Yep!

New taxes has proven to be a failed policy. I won't even debate you or any other big brother believers, because there never is any convincing you. What works is smaller "federal" government, a broader tax base (not additional taxes), closing loopholes and returning more decision making power to local and state governments.

After the last several years and including the upcoming several years, there is now no way to pay off the debt, other than hyper-inflation. It's a done deal at this point. We have already gone over the cliff.

I won't even comment on this again, as I was only commenting on it in response to the post above.
If you want more decision making by the local governments, you're in the wrong state. Tallahassee has made it almost impossible for city and county governments to raise revenue, make decisions on schools , growth management, where firearms are allowed to be shot and carried, environmental issues, etc.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:17 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,535,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I have a hard time believing that, I think first of all it is for the money andwhat they can buy for it...maybe later the other thing kicks in, but I don't think that is how it starts.

I imagine you're right. I'm sure it all starts out as a money motivator which is what drives them to commit fraud; but what keeps them going, taking more chances, pushing the limits, is the thrill.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:00 PM

770 posts, read 1,481,509 times
Is there anything that is positive to come out of Florida lately?? As a Texas resident, I thought that this state had some serious issues, but apparently, Florida has so many more. I personally know Jessica Sierra and Scott Burnside. As for Burnside, despite what the episode of "I almost got away with it" showed, Scott was a caring and compassionate man that cared for others than just himself; except for the instance where he stalked his former American Idol Girlfriend and I ended up getting blamed for it.

When all in all, I could give a rats a** about the c**t or Burnside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or