U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 07:59 AM

51,912 posts, read 41,783,059 times

Advertisements

This screams current or former Hotel worker...who would have access on where to dispose of her as well as knowing to stay out of the camera shots.

You know they are going around doing dna tests on everybody that had access to get up there as well as checking for prints etc.

That's probably what's taking time, all the forensic evidence because without solid proof everything like prints on the door to the roof etc. can just be in the normal scope of activity.

These can be REALLY tough crimes to solve if there is no real connection between the killer and victim and they encountered the victim in areas they usually operate (not leaving hair or fluid etc. in the victims room). Because if you cannot connect them to the victim you have nothing.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:47 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,344,556 times
Well, this did take place in a hotel! Tracking down all the possible witnesses, who could have been on their way to the four corners of the earth on the day of the murder, could be quite a chore. Dear Scrod, what if there was some kind of international training conference in the hotel that day and the person last seen with her is now on a plane to Thailand?

Old 03-07-2013, 06:38 PM

3,044 posts, read 4,013,910 times
What mystifies my about this case is the delay, luggage, camera, and profile issues that haven't been commented upon, unless the investigators already have a suspect and are waiting for them to make a mistake.
I.E. Upon Feb. 1st the room is now unpaid, and she never checks out. Where's her luggage? Identification was by body markings, which means her identification was NOT with her when found.
Cameras in those hotels are almost always in the desk area for 2 really good reasons: tracking clients/guests in and out, and the protection of the desk clerk if working alone. Why no comment? If there is a camera in the elevator with damn good resolution there has to be one/two in the lobby.
Family was contacted six days later? Huh? With the room not cleared, at the least the hotel would phone the family to ask for more money or where to send her effects. Highly unusual if the hotel would not have contact infor. in this case.

Yes, there is a language barrier in the home, which is why the family hangs up. Happened to me in Vancouver all the time.
One thing about Mandarin Chinese young ladies: They don't climb up narrow ladders on top of buildings, they very rarely are drug addicts, don't usually get sucked into cons, don't date sketchy people, and usually don't travel alone. There's no good fit here.

Unfortunately the length of time in water may disguise a lot of information but if it's a murder I am confidant we'll hear something soon. rip.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:59 PM

23 posts, read 20,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
What mystifies my about this case is the delay, luggage, camera, and profile issues that haven't been commented upon, unless the investigators already have a suspect and are waiting for them to make a mistake.
I.E. Upon Feb. 1st the room is now unpaid, and she never checks out. Where's her luggage? Identification was by body markings, which means her identification was NOT with her when found.
Cameras in those hotels are almost always in the desk area for 2 really good reasons: tracking clients/guests in and out, and the protection of the desk clerk if working alone. Why no comment? If there is a camera in the elevator with damn good resolution there has to be one/two in the lobby.
Family was contacted six days later? Huh? With the room not cleared, at the least the hotel would phone the family to ask for more money or where to send her effects. Highly unusual if the hotel would not have contact infor. in this case.

Yes, there is a language barrier in the home, which is why the family hangs up. Happened to me in Vancouver all the time.
One thing about Mandarin Chinese young ladies: They don't climb up narrow ladders on top of buildings, they very rarely are drug addicts, don't usually get sucked into cons, don't date sketchy people, and usually don't travel alone. There's no good fit here.

Unfortunately the length of time in water may disguise a lot of information but if it's a murder I am confidant we'll hear something soon. rip.
She's Cantonese Chinese, but yeah, not much difference. As one guy noted on Yahoo, either way it seems too elaborate of a case. Even if she did suicide, she performed quite a bit of work. Why would you choose to strip naked and then end up in a tank? They usually die in rooms, outside or on the ground with clothes. Plus, chances are that no guest would know about the tank, much less how to get in it.

Then again, the person who murdered her must be a hotel staff member. Even if she were being followed, I can't get over the fact that they knew to chase her on the very last day of her stay. Plus, they chose the right timing and everything. Again, why try to stuff your prize in a tank? (They also seem to have played games with her in the elevator.)

Skid Row is a very sketchy area. There are MANY hobos, druggies, and people clogging up the area. Some even sell drugs. I've read so many comments on this case and they all say she seems very drugged. It is sad but I'm not surprised. Someone probably gave her drugs, or the hotel staff member easily bought them outside.

My dad told me about her after seeing a huge cover in the Chinese paper. This story is quite intense, I hope they solve it though.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:16 PM

15,767 posts, read 15,003,424 times
Her death was ruled as accidental. Unbelievable.
Canadian tourist Elisa Lam's death ruled an accidental drowning - latimes.com
Coroner says drugs not a factor in Elisa Lam's mysterious death - latimes.com

Old 06-21-2013, 04:53 PM

1,817 posts, read 2,758,652 times
I wonder, would bath salts have shown up on the toxicology report? There was an Intervention episode about a bath salts user who would climb up trees or to the roof of his house to get away from "shadow people." The users suffer from paranoia, hallucinations and hyperthermia (overheating). I don't know if she would have willingly taken drugs like that but if we are to believe she entered that tank herself, the bath salts angle would be one I would hope they looked at. Especially after seeing that elevator video.

Alternatively,one of the long-term residents of the hotel could have accosted her in the hallway where she appears to have been under the influence of something - taken her up to the roof, raped her and drowned her in the tank.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:51 AM

15,767 posts, read 15,003,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Alternatively,one of the long-term residents of the hotel could have accosted her in the hallway where she appears to have been under the influence of something - taken her up to the roof, raped her and drowned her in the tank.
But wouldn't have this shown up when they performed the autopsy?

Old 06-22-2013, 08:01 AM

22,875 posts, read 19,295,400 times
WTH??? Accidental? Who's trying to fool who? Majorly unbelievable.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:05 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,758,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
But wouldn't have this shown up when they performed the autopsy?
That's my question. There are a lot of new "designer drugs" these days and I'm not sure if they can or do test for every single possible substance.

Awhile ago there was that case of Johnny Lewis, who acted on "Sons of Anarchy." He killed his landlady and her cat, then jumped off the roof of the house and died. His toxicology report came back clean too but I have serious doubts.

Bath Salts, K2-Spice Testing Difficulties Present Analytical ChallengesThe New Era of Designer Drugs | UTAK Blog

Old 06-23-2013, 10:43 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,840,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
That's my question. There are a lot of new "designer drugs" these days and I'm not sure if they can or do test for every single possible substance.

Awhile ago there was that case of Johnny Lewis, who acted on "Sons of Anarchy." He killed his landlady and her cat, then jumped off the roof of the house and died. His toxicology report came back clean too but I have serious doubts.

Bath Salts, K2-Spice Testing Difficulties Present Analytical ChallengesThe New Era of Designer Drugs | UTAK Blog
i really doubt this girl did drugs of her own volition. she didn't seem like the type- she wasn't partying with a bunch of friends, she was obviously not drunk, and she was missing her eyeglasses, which accounts for her looking at the buttons the way she did in the video. it also looks like she is talking to someone outside the elevator.

the fact is, saying this was an accident is incredibly stupid. someone goes up to the roof to have a swim and then put the cover BACK ON? and takes all her clothes off? if she wanted to kill herself she could have just jumped. that building is a bout a half mile from my house, and i have seen it a million times. its high enough to die if you jump, and many people have. and she could not have gotten up there on her own, anyway, as you need a code or something to get to the roof. i call bullchit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or