U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:53 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,759,127 times

Advertisements

She had been out and about somewhere. Someone could have slipped her something. I don't think she would have taken some random drug knowingly either, but on the other hand, she was young, traveling on her own for possibly the first time, far from her conservative parents and plenty of young people experiment with drugs that may not seem like "the type."

She could have been lucid enough to allow someone to guide her up to the roof, but under the influence of something that lowered her inhibitions. I guess we will never know for sure.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:47 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,841,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
She had been out and about somewhere. Someone could have slipped her something. I don't think she would have taken some random drug knowingly either, but on the other hand, she was young, traveling on her own for possibly the first time, far from her conservative parents and plenty of young people experiment with drugs that may not seem like "the type."

She could have been lucid enough to allow someone to guide her up to the roof, but under the influence of something that lowered her inhibitions. I guess we will never know for sure.
true, but just going on type, i would say that the likelihood of someone introducing themselves in the hall to her and beckoning her up the roof and her going are slim. i mean, the girl was a tourist, from canada, and she was staying in one of the most notorious hotels in los angeles, and probably had the mindset that everyone does when coming here that LA is far more dangerous than it actually is. the fact that she wound up at the cecil is telling as well. this smacks of online booking, where you don't really know what you are getting til you get there. the cecil can be a pit. it looks ok online tho. so she would have her natural tourist defenses up, especially after really getting a sense of where this hotel was AT, in the cosmic sense.

the most galling thing of all is that the lids were on these water tanks. i just doublechecked online in the reports. the lids were on. so it could not have been suicide, and again, she could have jumped off instead of drowning herself in a water tank on top of a hotel, which who even THINKS that there are water tanks on top of a hotel? we aren't out in the desert. i guess they collect them in cisterns so the water pressure stays constant? don't know, but who checks into the cecil with the purpose of killing themselves by drowning themselves in water tanks, and after death putting the lids back on?

like sherlock holmes said, take away what can't be and you are left with the truth. she didn't have a means to get up there, and the path of least resistance in a drug-or-depression-induced freakout would have been jumping off the roof. easy, and quick. but she didn't have a way to get up there. unless someone brought her up there.

another possibility is that she was gacked out, knew about the tanks somehow because someone had hepped her, had gotten the crazy notion to go in, and then someone noticed the tank lid was off and put it back on unbeknownst. but that kinda stretches it, i think. the only think that really makes sense is that someone brought her up there, and then left her up there. put a body in water for five days and alot of evidence, like sexual evidence, can wash away. thats' why alot of killers put their dumps in rivers or the ocean or lakes.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:57 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,546,070 times
Bumping this extremely old thread because I was thinking of this EL case recently - I remember following this quite carefully in early 2013. Very sad case. The elevator footage video creeped me out, which isn't easy to do - it truly looked like footage from a low-budget horror flick. It was never clear if she was actually talking to someone, or if she was on drugs and/or mentally ill.

I'm guessing they will never really find out what happened in this case, which is baffling....

Like most of us, I find it hard to believe that she jumped into that water tank on her own. I do think one or more others were involved, but to what extent is a mystery....

Old 07-18-2015, 01:17 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,091,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Bumping this extremely old thread because I was thinking of this EL case recently - I remember following this quite carefully in early 2013. Very sad case. The elevator footage video creeped me out, which isn't easy to do - it truly looked like footage from a low-budget horror flick. It was never clear if she was actually talking to someone, or if she was on drugs and/or mentally ill.

I'm guessing they will never really find out what happened in this case, which is baffling....

Like most of us, I find it hard to believe that she jumped into that water tank on her own. I do think one or more others were involved, but to what extent is a mystery....
I was just thinking of this last week, too. I found a series of videos on YouTube produced by an actor who is interested in the case. This is just the first of several of his videos, but the second and third videos are better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2l9lWTNL8g

I also heard someone suggest somewhere that it was possible she was either an aspiring actress or had met someone who convinced her she'd be good in films. This person may have asked her to "audition" or "rehearse" these elevator scenes, pretending to be filming her, but was likely a depraved individual who may have even said, "I'm going to film you climbing up the stairs of the water tank; just climb up there, and I'll follow you to get closeups," and BAM, he/she shut the tank on her.

There's also a problem with the tape counter at the bottom, also; it had either been tampered with by the hotel or police for some reason because the numbers don't "add up": Found that here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YO4QbaNDjI

And this Body Language "Expert" listed his opinions here: Body Language Success: Search results for Elisa Lam

Old 07-18-2015, 08:50 AM

2,502 posts, read 1,546,070 times
Thanks for posting these! I'll have to check them out. Very interesting. This is definitely one of those bizarre, tragic cases that will almost certainly never get solved, even though it happened relatively recently.

As has been mentioned ,this case also strongly reminds me somewhat of the horror flick Dark Water (starring Jennifer Connelly), which was a re-make of a Japanese horror film.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 07-18-2015 at 09:01 AM..

Old 07-18-2015, 12:21 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,894,650 times
There was a thread on this in Paranormal & Unexplained Mysteries.
Recall her parents mention of a mental disorder; making her vulnerable to foul play.
But this hotel has a creepy past as well as strange elevator.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:09 PM

9,151 posts, read 7,214,181 times
I was gonna comment on this until I realized I was thinking of a story line on How To Get Away With Murder. Not a story line on Dateline. LOL

Old 10-27-2015, 05:39 PM

15,781 posts, read 15,012,062 times
Hard to believe that this crime occurred nearly three years ago and is still unsolved.

Elisa Lam Drowned in a Water Tank Three Years Ago, but the Obsession with Her Death Lives On | VICE | United States

Old 10-29-2015, 11:40 AM

7,112 posts, read 9,347,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Hard to believe that this crime occurred nearly three years ago and is still unsolved.

Elisa Lam Drowned in a Water Tank Three Years Ago, but the Obsession with Her Death Lives On | VICE | United States
Well, you have to have something to work with.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:25 PM

15,781 posts, read 15,012,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Well, you have to have something to work with.
Apparently there are questions about her autopsy, as well as questions about possible tampering with the elevator video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yv3...ature=youtu.be (scroll to 3 min.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or