U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 12:52 PM

2,321 posts, read 2,095,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
I'm trying to hear you out, but is it your contention that she couldn't have possibly opened that lid?

I realise this question wasn't asked of me, but I don't believe there's any way she could have possibly opened that lid. Look at the size of the men on the ground from the photos provided by CA4Now
-- and even the two up near the lid itself. These are trained, fully grown, strong men, and I doubt even one of them could lift one of those lids.

They also had to have been extremely heavy so they wouldn't blow off during torrential rains, high winds, all kinds of typical California weather, and they apparently remained there for years.

But I'm glad you brought this up, because it makes me think two or more people were involved. I think she was mentally ill and encountered two men, let's say, who convinced her they were filming and/or auditioning her for a film, and she believed them. The next question becomes, "Why would anyone do such a thing?" but I don't have an answer for that one.

Also, someone altered the tape of her in the elevator, which has been brought up many times before. I don't know who (hotel employees, the police) did that either, or for what reason.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:51 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,141,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
I realise this question wasn't asked of me, but I don't believe there's any way she could have possibly opened that lid. Look at the size of the men on the ground from the photos provided by CA4Now
-- and even the two up near the lid itself. These are trained, fully grown, strong men, and I doubt even one of them could lift one of those lids.

They also had to have been extremely heavy so they wouldn't blow off during torrential rains, high winds, all kinds of typical California weather, and they apparently remained there for years.
I'm not sure why you think this. The size of the lids are quite small. So small in fact, the rescue workers were unable to get in the tank to recover her body. A lightweight lid with a simple latch would prevent the wind from blowing it off. And obviously the investigators believed it was possible.
Quote:
But I'm glad you brought this up, because it makes me think two or more people were involved. I think she was mentally ill and encountered two men, let's say, who convinced her they were filming and/or auditioning her for a film, and she believed them. The next question becomes, "Why would anyone do such a thing?" but I don't have an answer for that one.
We know she was mentally ill, but where are you getting these 2 men from? Are you just pulling this out of thin air? What evidence suggests that any of that happened?
Quote:
Also, someone altered the tape of her in the elevator, which has been brought up many times before. I don't know who (hotel employees, the police) did that either, or for what reason.
The tape does appear to have been edited, likely by the LAPD if so, and we don't know why. They've been tight-lipped on this case, probably to spare Elisa's family any more embarrassment. The tape may have been edited for the same reason.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:20 PM

15,826 posts, read 15,062,350 times
Quote:
The size of the lids are quite small. So small in fact, the rescue workers were unable to get in the tank to recover her body. A lightweight lid with a simple latch would prevent the wind from blowing it off.
Do you have a source on this?

According to what I've read, the lids were heavy. And she--or someone carrying her; she was apparently a very small person--would have had to scale the 4 x 8 ft tank.

"The water tanks themselves were so difficult to access that workers had to cut the tank open to remove her body. The lids of the water tanks are so heavy, furthermore, that it is likely impossible one person could have moved them. How, then, did Lam get into the tank and then replace the lid behind her?"
Elisa Lam: The mystery you should care about | Daily Maverick

Old 11-01-2015, 04:30 PM

9,151 posts, read 7,232,186 times
Quote:
The tape does appear to have been edited, likely by the LAPD if so, and we don't know why. They've been tight-lipped on this case, probably to spare Elisa's family any more embarrassment. The tape may have been edited for the same reason.
Why should her family be embarrassed, let alone more embarrassed?

Old 11-01-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Do you have a source on this?

According to what I've read, the lids were heavy. And she--or someone carrying her; she was apparently a very small person--would have had to scale the 4 x 8 ft tank.

"The water tanks themselves were so difficult to access that workers had to cut the tank open to remove her body. The lids of the water tanks are so heavy, furthermore, that it is likely impossible one person could have moved them. How, then, did Lam get into the tank and then replace the lid behind her?"
Elisa Lam: The mystery you should care about | Daily Maverick
Here's a close-up photo of the lids.

http://i.imgur.com/TkE54C6.jpg

They don't look very imposing. They appear to be sheet steel, maybe one square yard in area. And being hinged one one end would dramatically lower the amount of force necessary to open it. So unless these lids were made with a 3 gauge steel(totally unreasonable given it's application), they would be manageable even for someone Elisa's size.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Why should her family be embarrassed, let alone more embarrassed?
I don't know that they should be embarrassed, but I suspect they were. Fair or not, mental illness is heavily stigmatized in Chinese culture and a taboo subject for many of them.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:43 PM

2,321 posts, read 2,095,831 times
Quote:
Here's a close-up photo of the lids.

http://i.imgur.com/TkE54C6.jpg

They don't look very imposing. They appear to be sheet steel, maybe one square yard in area. And being hinged one one end would dramatically lower the amount of force necessary to open it. So unless these lids were made with a 3 gauge steel(totally unreasonable given it's application), they would be manageable even for someone Elisa's size.
If those are the lids one would have to open, assuming one wouldn't need a lock of some sort, then sure, she could have thrown herself in.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:36 PM

15,826 posts, read 15,062,350 times
Quote:
Here's a close-up photo of the lids. They appear to be sheet steel, maybe one square yard in area. And being hinged one one end would dramatically lower the amount of force necessary to open it. So unless these lids were made with a 3 gauge steel(totally unreasonable given it's application), they would be manageable even for someone Elisa's size.
I've never read this. Source for this info?

There are just too many conflicting reports about this death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh3SvxFEpyE

Old 11-02-2015, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I've never read this. Source for this info?

There are just too many conflicting reports about this death.
What info are you wanting a source for? The photo I provided shows the lids as I described them. Let's bear in mind this was a water tank, not a safe or a bank vault. I see no reason at all to think she couldn't open one of them.

There's no question we've seen a lot of conflicting reports. With the strange video, and in the absence of information from the LAPD, the internet has run wild with speculation and conspiracy theories. And of course, it took place at the infamous Cecil Hotel. I honestly think if this woman had died at a Holiday Inn Express, no one would still be talking about it.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:15 AM

26,160 posts, read 15,396,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen
I realise this question wasn't asked of me, but I don't believe there's any way she could have possibly opened that lid.
Not very easily!!

Poor lady
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or