Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2012, 04:03 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,322 times

Advertisements

Generally, crimes posted in this forum tend to be sensational ones, controversial ones, certainly horrendous ones. This story just came out and I am truly shaking my head because I simply cannot understand -- is it really the times that are making what I would like to believe -- generally calm, cool and collected people losing their tempers for absolutely no sensible reason -- is it becoming more of the norm to become violent over the most minute problem -- is this kind of a situation a crime-oriented one or more of a societal one -- I realize people get angry, lose their tempers over incredulously small issues but this one:?

Vt. man charged with choking teen over sandwich - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 07:27 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,299 times
That is very strange (and sad). I wonder what the guy's baseline was before, though. Was he truly a mild-mannered, upright citizen, or had he had violent outbursts before? The article doesn't say.

I know I've done things when I've gotten frustrated (like complaining to an office manager about bad service, when I normally wouldn't, or driving past a car that was driving rudely and giving them my dirtiest look), but I don't think generally that these type of events are perpetrated by people with no prior history. I don't think people just "snap" all of a sudden and do horrible things - you're used to dealing with frustration a certain way, and it becomes discipline or something else to redirect your frustration in a constructive (or at least not destructive) manner.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:04 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
maybe he was one of the many, many people on prescription drugs....that's why I think there is so much senseless violence towards others today...take ritalin for example...one drug...some of the possible side effects are: hallucinations, abnormal thoughts or behaviours, agitation, anxiety, nervousness, trouble sleeping, and suicidal thoughts amoung others...no wonder people aren't acting in a so-called [normal] way....Prescription Drug Use in America

Old 10-15-2012, 04:54 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,322 times
purehuman, I agree with you especially in regard to prescription drugs and their often, horrific side effects - just think about prozac, as one example and from what I have been reading this particular drug seems to have more and more side effects - sure, it may help many - yet given the number of people who are having violent reactions [I believe the Virginia Tech student was on Prozac] - perhaps it might make sense to have some of this drugs removed from a shelf for further study and/or instead of rushing them through the study / approval process, take a longer period of time before marketing them?

It would be interesting to learn / follow some of the horrible cases, including the latest movie/Batman shooting to learn if that offender too, was on prozac or a similar therapeutic drug.

What distresses me a lot is the possibility that a drug company might know some of the side effects are very dangerous and still [although disclosing 'this could happen'] market?

Old 10-16-2012, 04:29 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
That is distressing sugermaple (because they DO know) but in this day and age it's come to the point that people really should research the drugs they're prescribed for themselves...drug companies are in it for the money, and the doctors are for the most part, their favorite shills...I'd be interested too at knowing if some of the shootings lately were done by people high on their [prescribed drugs], but I notice for some reason this type of what I consider "pertinent information" is never pursued...I wonder why?...maybe because it's so much easier to hide than face the truth?

Old 10-17-2012, 11:21 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
First of all, you can't get "high" on Prozac unless you are referring to seratonin syndrome which is a rare side effect. Second of all, it's been around for twenty years, maybe the newer ones have worse side effects, I don't know.

Ritalin is an amphetamine. Of course it has side effects, especially when abused by normal people that don't need it. That's why it's so tightly controlled.

Agreed on the drug companies and their malfeasance in some cases. Lortab, Oxycontin, and Methadone are scourges. Lortab was first advertised to physicians that it was less likely to be abused than the pain killers that were currently on the market. Ha!

The drug that I do think can incite violence and psychotic behavior is PCP. It was developed in a lab to do just that. That BS about it being developed as a veterinary anesthesia... Give me a break.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:03 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,678,559 times
never mess with a mans samich

Old 10-23-2012, 11:59 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
I think we generally do not recognize mental illness in this country. At least half (according to surveys) of our population that have some sort of mental illness are never identified, seek help, etc. A portion of those who have been identified were diagnosed b/c of brushes with the law.

I think that is probably what is at the root of many of these baffling acts of violence.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:52 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
It could be mental illness, it could be a prescription or street drugs or the combo platter; it could be so many possibilities. Of course a lot of people with mental illness try to manage their moods and thinking with street drugs or booze because they don't have access to treatment.

Or maybe the guy is just a child-abusing creepoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime