U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 10:20 AM

15,891 posts, read 15,293,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post

P.S. Speaking of Anne Rule....Anyone know what has happened to the subject of this book...Small Sacrifices Ann Rule Is this mother still in prison??
Last year I watched a TV show along the lines of "Dateline" and it dealt with the daughter that Downs had in jail. It was very good. The young woman acted out while growing up and found out about her birth mother when she was a teen. She wrote to her mother and they wrote back and forth for a while until the daughter finally realized that Diane Downs was a sociopath and she quit writing to her, settled dow, went to college and did well.

Downs was interviewed from jail by Oprah years ago. So I know what she looks like and the daughter looks very much like her. Same eyes. I'm glad this kid turned her life around and became a good member of society. As for Downs, I hope she never gets out of prison and dies there. She is a very dangerous woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 10:30 AM

16,408 posts, read 28,886,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Last year I watched a TV show along the lines of "Dateline" and it dealt with the daughter that Downs had in jail. It was very good. The young woman acted out while growing up and found out about her birth mother when she was a teen. She wrote to her mother and they wrote back and forth for a while until the daughter finally realized that Diane Downs was a sociopath and she quit writing to her, settled dow, went to college and did well.

Downs was interviewed from jail by Oprah years ago. So I know what she looks like and the daughter looks very much like her. Same eyes. I'm glad this kid turned her life around and became a good member of society. As for Downs, I hope she never gets out of prison and dies there. She is a very dangerous woman.
I saw that show too!

The correspondence on Downs' side took a very evil and scary turn, so the daughter had to abandon it. Just goes to show that being in jail has not improved or changed Downs' nature AT ALL and letting her out would be a big mistake.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:00 AM

3,881 posts, read 7,305,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Just reading the news stories at the time and seeing that creeper's face made me feel ill. I'm not sure if I could make it through an entire book.
Some parts were hard to read but I couldn't put it down. Its just unfathomable that this actually happened to someone.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:48 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,054,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Homicide: A Year On The Killing Streets - David Simon

This is the book that the TV show "Homicide: Life on The Street" was based on. It was written about the year 1988, so it's a bit dated, but it's still a very good book about the Baltimore homicide squad.

Simon's later book, "The Corner", is very good as well.

The Corner is great!The HBO treatment is fantastic and heart-breaking. Real life characters play parts. Fran Boyd is a drug counselor-haha.Watch it!

Old 03-20-2013, 11:01 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,057,537 times
A great, but unfortunately now out of print, true crime book is Little Lost Girls by Joan Merriam. It's about two teenagers in the early 1980s who brutally stab an elderly woman to death, and it goes into great detail about the lives and backgrounds of the two killers. If you have ever wondered what would make a person, especially a child, do such a horrible and evil thing, this book really shows how a kid can be driven to murder.

I think my very first true crime book was Careless Whispers, don't remember the author but I did see that book mentioned on this thread already...I was way too young to be reading that book and I never forgot it. Years later, following up on the story, I saw that many people believe the man that was put to death for those murders was actually innocent.

I also followed up on another good true crime book, Sins of the Father, about the woman who unearthed a repressed memory of her father raping and murdering her best friend when she was 8 years old. Twenty years later, she testified in court and he was convicted of the murder, the first time a repressed memory was used to convict. Later, the conviction was overturned. After reading that book and about the father's history of abuse, including the sexual and physical abuse of his own children, I think it's a pretty good chance that he did kill that little girl, repressed memory or not. Unfortunately, he only spent 6 years in prison for it, and is a free man today...and the daughter who tried to bring him to justice is left looking like a fraud and a liar.

That's the interesting thing about true crime...that the story continues even after the book ends.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:31 AM

5,222 posts, read 5,088,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
The Corner is great!The HBO treatment is fantastic and heart-breaking. Real life characters play parts. Fran Boyd is a drug counselor-haha.Watch it!

I've seen it, and it IS good.

The real Deandre (Fran's older son) died last year. I think Fran and her husband are doing well.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:23 PM

9,190 posts, read 9,269,502 times
1. The Innocent Man by John Grisham

2. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote.

3. The Onion Field by Joe Wambaugh

4. Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi

5. Fatal Vision by Joe McGinniss.

I think Ann Rule is overrated as an author.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:58 PM

15,763 posts, read 15,003,424 times
More on this older thread: True crime book recs?

Old 03-22-2013, 06:40 AM

2,646 posts, read 4,064,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
More on this older thread: True crime book recs?
Thank you for the link. There are a couple of books that I like the sound of.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:09 AM

85 posts, read 165,239 times
Another good true crime book is A KILLING IN GREENWICH written by Mark Furman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime