U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 06:40 PM

137 posts, read 128,122 times

Advertisements

New possible suspects named in the brutal 1993 West Memphis murders of three cub scouts - including one of the boy's stepfathers

Four new possible suspects in the brutal killings of three boy scouts in Arkansas in 1993 have been named by attorneys in the case - and the stepfather of one of the boys is among them.

Terry Hobbs, the stepfather of eight-year-old victim Stevie Branch, has been named in documents released in Marian, Arkansas by the attorneys for Pam Hobbs, Stevie's mother.

The new documents claim that Hobbs and three other men killed Stevie and two of his friends after they caught the boys spying on them while they were taking drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 06:46 PM

137 posts, read 128,122 times
Post Murdered:

Murdered: New possible suspects have been named in the killings of Christopher Byers, left, James Michael Moore, centre, and Steven Branch, right, who were found tied up and mutilated in 1993

Old 03-29-2013, 08:34 AM

16,017 posts, read 19,666,166 times
This sickens me. Those poor innocent children...including those falsely accused.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:30 AM

13,104 posts, read 24,877,263 times
They looked no further than 3 outcast teens, especially the one, forgot his name that liked to dress in black and listen to heavy metal....
It is disgraceful and I think the state of Arkansas were covering their azzes in making the 3 free only by copping to the Alford plea..right now they have NO legal recourse against the state for the years of being falsely imprisoned...

Old 03-29-2013, 01:20 PM

5,144 posts, read 10,847,982 times
Just started googling based on comments:
Damien Echols profile

"A case file dated 6/1/92 reports that Echols “admits to having been suspended 7x this past semester for inciting fights at school, starting small fires, cussing. States in one fight he almost gouged out the victim’s eyes.” "

"Another case file dated 6/25/92 states:
Supposedly, Damien chased a younger child with an ax and attempted to set a house on fire. He denied this behavior. He reported that his girlfriend’s family reported this so that they could get him in trouble."

"I was at Lakeshore Trailer Park with Damien Echols when he killed a Black Great Dane. The dog was already sick and he hit the dog in the back of the head. He pulled the intestines out of the dog and started stomping the dog until blood came out of his mouth. He was going to come back later with battery acid so that he could burn the hair and skin off of the dog’s head. He had two cat skulls, a dog skull and a rat skull that I already knew about. "

"Damien had a camoflouge survival knife to cut the guts out of the dog with."

Not exactly an innocent or anyone you want as a next door neighbor. I can easily see why he was a suspect.
Is anything in that link true? Because if it is...how did they find this guy innocent? (this particular one not all three)
If he really acts like this, sorry but I see a serial killer in the making and maybe he killed all the boys himself.

But who is this new witness? Because a witness said all three teens were guilty too.
What happened to that?

They say the stepdad's DNA was on the rope? Where? How much of it? Where did the rope come from?
Because you could touch a rope and leave it somewhere...someone takes it, like your kid to play, or someone sinister. Then all of a sudden you are a murderer based on a witness, which has been proven in the case before not to be something to be trusted. Circumstantial evidence.

I also read that the mother since has divorced the stepdad. Is that true?

Did they ever find their clothing or the pocket knife?

Last edited by Opsimathia; 03-29-2013 at 01:42 PM..

Old 03-29-2013, 03:23 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 16 days ago)

8,675 posts, read 10,831,402 times
Just watched this on Aphrodite Jones the other night. The local parole officer was asked, "Who would be capable of this crime"? So, he puts 10 on the list,including the 3 convicted. The prosecutor had no real evidence, never did and the jurors convicted. No DNA, no physical evidence. Just basically a witch hunt. Can you imagine?? These 3 poor souls lives were destroyed from the town's stupidity, along w/ the 3 poor children who were murdered.
The physical evidence put forth recently were 2 hairs,one matched the stepdad of one of the kids and the other his friend. At the scene of the crime. Several neighbors saw the 3 kids lastly with the same stepdad. But, police didn't care or follow up. You always start w/ the family and work your way out. A good investigation does. They convicted these kids cuz they wanted someone to put away and the kid who wore black and was "different" was an easy target to pin it on. Hard to fathom such ignorance!

Old 03-29-2013, 03:38 PM

1,817 posts, read 2,758,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Just started googling based on comments:
Damien Echols profile

Not exactly an innocent or anyone you want as a next door neighbor. I can easily see why he was a suspect.
Is anything in that link true? Because if it is...how did they find this guy innocent? (this particular one not all three)
If he really acts like this, sorry but I see a serial killer in the making and maybe he killed all the boys himself.

Well, first of all, they didn't find him innocent, and secondly, you aren't supposed to convict someone of first degree murder based on a hunch or because someone's a bad apple, therefore he should pay. You need to have clear evidence that links that person to the crime they're being tried for.

I read Damien's book recently, and while I'm sure it doesn't tell the whole story, he does talk about some of the incidents you quoted. There's no denying he was a troubled teen in some ways (much of which I would blame on his terrible upbringing). He was a goth/metal kid like a lot of teens. He collected animal skulls, which doesn't seem that unusual for that type of kid. I don't know that he ever actively killed any animals. It's hard to separate fact from fiction and hearsay after all these years.

I'd recommend watching the Paradise Lost documentaries, there's another one produced by Damien himself called West of Memphis that I haven't seen yet. Bottom line is there was never any physical evidence tying the 3 teens to the murders and the one that was coerced into a false confession has a low IQ. I always thought Terry Hobbs was involved in the murder.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:29 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,115,047 times
Those are three of the sweetest faces. No child deserves what happened to them.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 16 days ago)

8,675 posts, read 10,831,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Well, first of all, they didn't find him innocent, and secondly, you aren't supposed to convict someone of first degree murder based on a hunch or because someone's a bad apple, therefore he should pay. You need to have clear evidence that links that person to the crime they're being tried for.

I read Damien's book recently, and while I'm sure it doesn't tell the whole story, he does talk about some of the incidents you quoted. There's no denying he was a troubled teen in some ways (much of which I would blame on his terrible upbringing). He was a goth/metal kid like a lot of teens. He collected animal skulls, which doesn't seem that unusual for that type of kid. I don't know that he ever actively killed any animals. It's hard to separate fact from fiction and hearsay after all these years.

I'd recommend watching the Paradise Lost documentaries, there's another one produced by Damien himself called West of Memphis that I haven't seen yet. Bottom line is there was never any physical evidence tying the 3 teens to the murders and the one that was coerced into a false confession has a low IQ. I always thought Terry Hobbs was involved in the murder.

Agreed, hard to separate fact from hearsay. I have strong doubts any statements against him/them were accurate. The "towns people" seemed like a group baseing their "evidence" on hysterics and group think. I wouldn't think much of any of it. They took the one w/ the lowest IQ and manipulated and conned him into his taped testimony against the other 2. The whole thing was badly botched.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:13 PM

46 posts, read 63,362 times
I had no opinions on this crime, due to not seeing much evidence, until later on when I watched Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills. After that I watched the 2nd documentary that came out. I suspected John Byers from his actions and comments he made. I thought one of the mothers was really odd when interviewed as she was laughing and smiling while showing off her son's cub scout bandana. I don't recall seeing much of Terry Hobbs in the documentaries, maybe because Byers seemed to take over with his crazy attention getting antics. Yet it was really odd how his wife died later on and he insisted she died because of the loss of her son. Did he happen to say she died of a broken heart? I can't remember, it may have been in the 2nd documentary. I never knew the facts on that until I just read the information about what happened. The fact that he had all his teeth out was really strange, but I just read that Hobbs had some or all of his removed too. Not sure if these actions were before or after they decided the bite marks were predatory. This may be significant if the killer/killers weren't sure what they did in a fit of rage.

I always felt the three 'suspects' were innocent for many reasons. First off, they didn't really have an alibi, usually people don't remember exactly what they did and when unless there's a reason to. But, the main reason is absolutely no evidence connecting them to the boys or where they were found. No blood was found in the area which would suggest it happened elsewhere, hence there should be evidence found simply due to transporting them from one place to another. The investigation was certainly sub-standard.

Those three little boys apparently witnessed something and it was covered up, that was my opinion back then and now it seems there is suspicion that it is true. Many times law enforcement jumps the gun and charges someone before the community goes totally crazy. We've seen this time and time again over the years. Once it's started, it is difficult for them to retract what has happened and any new evidence goes missing or is ignored.

I plan on reading more info that I haven't seen since the first two documentaries.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime