Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 05:15 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,469,865 times

Advertisements

A paedophile is attracted to children. I don't think a 16 year old is a child. They are still very young and should be protected against predators but paedophile should mean what it is - an unhealthy attraction to prepubescent children.

A 16 year old is still very young and naive and needs protection but someone interested in a 16 year old is not the same as someone interested in a 10 year old.

I think the guy is a creep but not a paedophile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 06:28 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
"Natural"? I know no man in his 40s or older who is attracted to teenage girls. That is just creepy.

Are you some aging male looking for a teenager?! Yuck.
My daughter and her friends call any man over 30 who looks at 16yr olds "Creepers"!!!

Old 04-01-2013, 07:22 AM

385 posts, read 615,141 times
Story would have been better if the teens had tipped off the wife and she issued the beat-down.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:46 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,418 times
Somehow it is 'depressing as hell' to differentiate between two greatly disparate degrees of perversion/maladjustment?

Are those of you who feel this way as cavalier with degrees of other crimes?

Old 04-01-2013, 08:06 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Oh god. This isn't the psychology forum. Most people are not familiar with the technical terms and the umbrella term covers it for everyday conversation. If you think its ok for 40 somethings to chase teens...I would love to see you say that to a parent's face of a 16 year old child.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:16 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
A paedophile is attracted to children. I don't think a 16 year old is a child. They are still very young and should be protected against predators but paedophile should mean what it is - an unhealthy attraction to prepubescent children.

A 16 year old is still very young and naive and needs protection but someone interested in a 16 year old is not the same as someone interested in a 10 year old.

I think the guy is a creep but not a paedophile.
DSM-IV agrees.

Here's what we have so far: Consensual sex. Not a pedophile. In the eyes of the law, this event would be no different than if the guy had arranged to hook up with a woman of his own age and gotten robbed by people of his own age. It's a social foul. Based on the OP's statements, it looks like this thread belongs in P&OC forum, not "true crime". Not much to see here.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:20 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Oh god. This isn't the psychology forum. Most people are not familiar with the technical terms and the umbrella term covers it for everyday conversation. If you think its ok for 40 somethings to chase teens...I would love to see you say that to a parent's face of a 16 year old child.
Having an attraction be natural and having it be LEGAL in our society are 2 different things.

Teens as young as 13 have sex. It's a natural drive...but as a society, we discourage that and for good reason.
And psychology forum or not, it never hurts to learn something.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:38 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Quote:
Oh god. This isn't the psychology forum. Most people are not familiar with the technical terms and the umbrella term covers it for everyday conversation.
It's the "true crime" forum, not the parenting forum, and not politics & other controversies either. The "true crime" in this event is apparently limited by the laws of the State of Indiana, to a number of felonies committed by the people who robbed the man. All we know from the article is that the man is 41, the girl is 16, and as long as they both agree to it, the State of Indiana says, it is not illegal.

Quote:
If you think its ok for 40 somethings to chase teens...I would love to see you say that to a parent's face of a 16 year old child.
Don't divert attention away from your lack of research and/or understanding of the laws. If your object is to stir up an argument, the P&OC forum is right around the corner. If your object is to commiserate with parents based on handy little social buzzwords as opposed to legal definitions, you could have dumped this into the puritanical Parenting forum, and had mothers lined up halfway to the moon waiting to castrate this guy with a rusty butter knife. I'll bet I can name five who would be at the front of the line.

But, you didn't post in P&OC, or in Parenting forums; you posted in True Crime. And fortunately, at least in the United States, the laws aren't carried out based on someone's opinion of how words are incorrectly used in "everyday conversation", whether someone contacted someone else on Facebook, whether someone drives a Lexus, or the direction of the wind. The law also doesn't categorize people based on whether some annoyed mother thinks a person deserves a "whuppin", or what someone's daughter calls people over 20 who have consensual sex with 16 year olds.

Now back to your original post again:

Quote:
Some married pedophile creeper looking for underage strange in his lexus...he needs a whuppin from someone. Wonder how this will turn out with arrests and sex offender lists...Hmmm.
You could have done 3 seconds of research to qualify your statements, but you didn't.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:40 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
As was said,would he still qualify as a pedophile if said 16 year old looked 10?

All 16 year old girls are developed at that age...

I find it VERY disturbing that people think its ok for a 41 yo man to have sex with a 16 year old. Words just can't explain.
She can't even drink legally for Christ's sake.

The post even said: the girl is 16.
Key word:Girl

Indiana most be one of those conservative states.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:28 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Ok for all those technical people:

Quote:
Married man, 41, arranged sex date with girl, 16, he met on Facebook... but was robbed by her and her friends instead | Mail Online

I don't know if I can think this is a bad thing.
Some married creeper looking for barely legal strange in his lexus...he needs a whuppin from someone. Wonder how this will turn out with arrests, the wife and the parents s-lists...Hmmm.
Happy now? Dude is still scum any way you put it. The guy is gross and got what he deserved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime