U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 06:08 PM

179 posts, read 151,738 times

Advertisements

Nobody on here has said what he did is right. It wasn't. Nobody has cheered this guy on. His actions were creepy and obviously ill advised. Under technical terms, in this particular case, he should not be considered a pedophile. And since this is the true crime forum, I believe we should be using technical terms because that is what would be used in a courtroom. There was no crime committed on his part because in the state of Indiana the age of consent is 16. What the age of consent is in the other 49 states is irrelevant in this case. If it were in my state then we would be talking about a crime because the age of consent is 17, but what it is here has no bearing on this.

Let me be clear again, I do NOT support his actions, but in the state of Indiana there was no crime committed. Some people need to realize that when a person states a fact like that they are not supporting him, they are not supporting pedophiles, they are stating a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 07:37 PM

3,044 posts, read 4,024,353 times
Default Looking a little closer at the law......

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Except he didn't do anything illegal. The age of consent in Indiana is 16, there's nothing illegal about having consensual sex with a 16 year old, even if you are committing adultery (also not illegal). I grant you it's gross and pervy, but the guy isn't a sex offender and shouldn't be, a 16 year old really is old enough to understand what sex is and whether or not they want to engage in it.
While the age of consent is as high as 19 in the US, effectively making every couple in High School guilty of a felony, if you look closely at the law, an age of consent being 16 doesn't mean it's open season.

There are usually gradients in law to prevent the incidence of a felony on kids: i.e. a two or four year lattitude. If the age of consent is 16 and there are existing relations with an eighteen year old little would probably happen. However, an adult old enough to be her grandfather isn't dealing with open season. There are other assault/stalking and influence laws that kick in, along with some pretty serious consequences.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:28 PM

16,408 posts, read 28,931,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
DSM-IV agrees.

Here's what we have so far: Consensual sex. Not a pedophile. In the eyes of the law, this event would be no different than if the guy had arranged to hook up with a woman of his own age and gotten robbed by people of his own age. It's a social foul. Based on the OP's statements, it looks like this thread belongs in P&OC forum, not "true crime". Not much to see here.
There were several "true crimes" committed by the teenage girl and her friends. Of course it belongs in the True Crime forum.

Although he does not fit the legal definition of a pedophile, I still find it hard to feel sorry for this married 41 year old under the circumstances.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
While the age of consent is as high as 19 in the US, effectively making every couple in High School guilty of a felony, if you look closely at the law, an age of consent being 16 doesn't mean it's open season.

There are usually gradients in law to prevent the incidence of a felony on kids: i.e. a two or four year lattitude. If the age of consent is 16 and there are existing relations with an eighteen year old little would probably happen. However, an adult old enough to be her grandfather isn't dealing with open season. There are other assault/stalking and influence laws that kick in, along with some pretty serious consequences.
Aren't these "age of consent" laws written to specifically address people who are legal ADULTS who prey sexually on underage children/teens ... and NOT to address the issue of underage children/teens having sex with each other? I know I'm not wording this so well, but I thought that is the way things go ... at least in NY it seems to be this way.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:40 PM

Default Interesting article on all the related terms

Here it is:

What is a Pedophile? Hebephile, Ephebophile, Teleiophile, Infantophile | Human Stupidity: Irrationality, Self Deception

Quote:
Hebephile, a newly proposed diagnostic classification in which people display a sexual preference for children at the cusp of puberty, between the ages of, roughly, 11 to 14 years of age. Pedophiles, in contrast, show a sexual preference for clearly prepubescent children. There are also ephebophiles (from ephebos, meaning “one arrived at puberty” in Greek), who are mostly attracted to 15- to 16-year-olds; teleiophiles (from teleios, meaning, “full grown” in Greek), who prefer those 17 years of age or older); and even the very rare gerontophile (from gerontos, meaning “old man” in Greek), someone whose sexual preference is for the elderly. So although child sex offenders are often lumped into the single classification of pedophilia, biologically speaking it’s a rather complicated affair. Some have even proposed an additional subcategory of pedophilia, “infantophilia,” to distinguish those individuals most intensely attracted to children below six years of age.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:30 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,505,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post

Yes, you make a good point, however I did not comment before informing myself fully of the laws regarding consent in Indiana. Close in age exceptions apply only for sex with minors who are 14 or 15, but if they're older then 16 they can have sex with a person of any age UNLESS that adult "is the guardian, adoptive parent, adoptive grandparent, custodian, or stepparent of the minor; or a child care worker for the minor; or a military recruiter who is attempting to enlist over the minor." Since the 41 year old man in question was none of these, it would not have been illegal for him to sleep with her. If you're interested, here is the long version:

"The age of consent in Indiana is 16.[62] A close in age exception allows minors 14–15 years of age to legally consent to sex with a partner who is less than 18 years old.
IC 35-42-4-9 states: "Sexual misconduct with a minor Sec. 9. (a) A person at least eighteen (18) years of age who, with a child at least fourteen (14) years of age but less than sixteen (16) years of age, performs or submits to sexual intercourse or deviate sexual conduct commits sexual misconduct with a minor, a Class C felony."[63] Under certain aggravating circumstances, the offense increases to a Class B felony or to a Class A felony. The law allows the actor a defense to prosecution if the victim is currently or was previously married (the absolute minimum marriageable age in Indiana is 15), although this defense does not apply in the case of violence, threats or drugs. The law also allows a defense if the actor is within 4 years of age of the younger person and the two were in an ongoing dating/romantic relationship. This is not a close in age exception though, but merely a defense in court. The law also allows a mistake of age defense if the actor reasonably believed the victim was 16 or older.
The age limit rises to 18, according to IC35-42-4-7, if the actor is an adult who is the guardian, adoptive parent, adoptive grandparent, custodian, or stepparent of the minor; or a child care worker for the minor; or a military recruiter who is attempting to enlist over the minor.[63]
Any person who engages in sexual intercourse with a child under 14 years of age commits a Class B felony, under IC 35-42-4-3 Child molesting. Under certain aggravating circumstances, the crime becomes a Class A felony.[63]"

By the way, although my country, Canada, has very similar consent laws to Indiana, the anti-exploitation clauses for 16-18 would take into account evolution of the relationship, and quickly and secretively arranging sex on the internet with a 16 year old would be considered an exploitative relationship here. I don't disagree with that, but I think the wording of the law is too vague in this case. It gives a judge more flexibility but is somewhat less clear to citizens then the black and white Indiana laws.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:41 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,364,505 times
What everyone is missing here as near as I can tell is that while Mr. Lexus was trying to prey on Miss Facebook, Miss Facebook was preying on him instead. I hope it gives him food for thought but it probably won't. And what is she going to take from being applauded for entrapping a stranger so he can be beaten up & robbed?

Old 04-10-2013, 09:43 PM

273 posts, read 965,888 times
best thing to do for men like him is to go to strip clubs littered with 18 year olds. it's fully legal to date a girl at age 18 in most of the states in the country no matter how old you are. follow hugh hefner as your role model if you have the dough for girls with empty pockets. or he can hit up the bunny ranch or other legal options in the rural towns in nevada. if he wants to find them online, go to sugar babies or daddies online. flying out to thailand or amsterdam for sex tourism is also something he could have done. so many options are there when you have money. he was childish and an idiot in the way he pursued this.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:31 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,291,482 times
These kids are criminals who are seeking the cover of some sort of social acceptability to go on a violent rampage. I wouldn't be surprised if they have committed other serious felonies (robberies, assaults, etc) in the past. If I had young daughters I wouldn't want the 41 year old living next door to me but I also wouldn't want these kids around me either.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:47 PM

52,084 posts, read 41,892,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
These kids are criminals who are seeking the cover of some sort of social acceptability to go on a violent rampage. I wouldn't be surprised if they have committed other serious felonies (robberies, assaults, etc) in the past. If I had young daughters I wouldn't want the 41 year old living next door to me but I also wouldn't want these kids around me either.
^^^This.

The guy is a scummy creep. The kids are likely picking victims in such a way that they won't report the crime.

There really isn't a "good guy" in the story....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or