U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:20 AM

10,608 posts, read 13,138,122 times

Advertisements

Mass murderer, Because they will target a public place I or friends and family might be in. I don't think me being stalked by a serial killer has the same odds of happening. Many serial killers are intelligent and can present themselves well to blend in so it's good to be aware of people you don't know if they strike up a conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 10:34 AM

2,431 posts, read 4,612,620 times
Those serial killers on Criminal Minds scare the bejeebers out of me! All the twisted things they come up with, and you just know that a lot of it must be based on real cases!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:55 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,758,130 times
Most serial killers will go for victims that they can obtain easily and that they believe will not be missed, at least not immediately - street prostitutes or homeless. Of course there are exceptions to that, but they are rare. The odds of an average person, not living on the fringes of society, being a victim of a serial killer are extremely tiny.

Mass murderers are a little more frightening in my eyes (though again, odds of being a victim highly unlikely). Reason being that there are no precautions one can really take other than to avoid all public places, and I think the type of mental issues that can cause someone to "snap" and "go postal" are more common than whatever creates a serial killer.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:56 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,839,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post
Personally, mass murderers scare me a bit more only because I think it's probably easier to fight someone off if they only have a knife or a garrote versus someone armed to the teeth. But I can see serial killers being much more disturbing. Certainly, mass murderers have the ability to rack up higher body counts, but the record so far in America is 32. Serial killers sometimes kill hundreds before being caught. Their methods of killing are also usually slower, more elaborate, and more gruesome, compared to simply being shot to death. On the other hand, mass killers can be equally as Ax Crazy, if not more so. For example, some of the stuff in Eric Harris' diary would've made Hannibal Lecter cringe.

So which scares you more, and why?
serial killers. a mass murder is by definition something that happenes once, usually in a very public place, usually by someone who doesn't have prior convictions for murder. its someone who "just blows". while this may seem more frightening to some, i can at least understand it. i think all of us have been fed up with society or people in general at least ONCE in our lives, and is at least more human. its still in the realm of what normal people can understand.

even someone like charles whitman, who gunned down people from the Texas A and M uni tower, makes more sense to me than someone like ted bundy. those guys don't kill because they just "blow". they kill because they like it, because they want to experience what for them is literally, enjoyment. i have no correlation for that in my mind. i just for the life of me do not understand that. the fact that 97 percent of the victims of serial killers are women and children, i take a special interest, being a woman. i want to know how these guys work. i am not nor have i ever been interested in mass murderers. there is no mystery to figure out there.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:50 AM

7,106 posts, read 9,341,059 times
There is some overlap, though, nighthouse. The only thing all serial killers have in common is a pervasive sense of humiliation. They decide they can feel powerful by overpowering and killing someone. Mass murderers don't "just blow" -- they invariably do it after some sort of specific humiliation, or a series of them, so horrible for them that they feel the best idea is to go down in a hail of bullets. Think of Harris and Klebold or Amy Bishop. They did all in one day what Ted Bundy did in secret, 36 times. The difference is in not caring whether or not you get caught. Ted had an investment in the future; Amy Bishop was just done.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:54 PM

43,280 posts, read 1,284,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I am more scared of texting drivers.

I'll go along with this!

Old 04-09-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
There is some overlap, though, nighthouse. The only thing all serial killers have in common is a pervasive sense of humiliation. They decide they can feel powerful by overpowering and killing someone. Mass murderers don't "just blow" -- they invariably do it after some sort of specific humiliation, or a series of them, so horrible for them that they feel the best idea is to go down in a hail of bullets. Think of Harris and Klebold or Amy Bishop. They did all in one day what Ted Bundy did in secret, 36 times. The difference is in not caring whether or not you get caught. Ted had an investment in the future; Amy Bishop was just done.
interesting points to ponder cliffie, you are always good for those

i would disagree with the humiliation bit- i don't think it cuts as wide a swath as some might think. in otherwise normal people, i think it can have an unusual bearing. i know growing up i was angry enough to kill the bullies that tormented me plenty of times. but i never started building up an arsenal. but i COULD have, so in that respect, humiliation can drive you to do things you might not do were that perfect storm of humiliation and frustration not present.

i still think that there is a huge difference between what ted bundy did and what the columbine killers did. while the columbine guys may have gotten some dark pleasure out of it, that was not the motivating force. with ted bundy, a guy who could have been quite successful in anything he chose, the fact that he chose serial killing doesn't speak to his being humiliated, ergo frustrated, ergo, a killer.

now, edmund kemper, yeah. i think if he had grown up different, not shut up in a basement like a beast with a mother who emotionally and physically abused him, its quite likely he would have gone on to be just another guy.

in the end, these are all mysteries, nature/nurture arguments, riddles wrapped in an enigma. but then, if they weren't, they wouldn't be so interesting.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Most serial killers will go for victims that they can obtain easily and that they believe will not be missed, at least not immediately - street prostitutes or homeless. Of course there are exceptions to that, but they are rare. The odds of an average person, not living on the fringes of society, being a victim of a serial killer are extremely tiny.

Mass murderers are a little more frightening in my eyes (though again, odds of being a victim highly unlikely). Reason being that there are no precautions one can really take other than to avoid all public places, and I think the type of mental issues that can cause someone to "snap" and "go postal" are more common than whatever creates a serial killer.
i agree- i think alot of us are inundated with serial killer info all day in the media- whole entire cable channels filled with nothing but crime shows (which i watch, admittedly!). but it has i believe inflated the likelihood in people's minds that they will be murdered by one of these freaks. statistically, you are much more likely to die in an airplane crash, and you are then again a million times (literally) more likely to die in a car accident. but car accidents just aren't sexy enough, in the parlance of the media.

i DO think its important for women to be informed about serial killers, because it isn't just the homeless or prostitutes that they go after. a woman walking alone is generally the prime target, and because prostitutes often do just that, sure, they are statistically more likely to be a victim of a killer who chooses his victims off the street. but hell, I walk alone at night coming home from the train station. so i like to know what these guys are up to, what crap they might say to me to get me in their cars. i am not winding up in some fool's trunk.

and its also important for women to know about these guys just so they hear about the number of women who have escaped! having friends who were murdered, i wish i could skywrite this one thing- NEVER GET IN THE CAR WITH SOMEONE WHO HAS A GUN AND SAYS HE WILL SHOOT YOU IF YOU DON'T COMPLY. RUN. because, speaking of statistics, you are far more likely to survive than if you go meekly thinking you can talk them out of eating your body parts later or before making a lampshade out of your skin. RUN! get shot in the back if that's what happens, but at least you got shot in the BACK, when you were running. far better than the alternative!

and yes, the pressures that create a mass murderer are MUCH more prevalent, and therefore much more likely to happen. the catch is that, like you said, what precaution can you take other than avoiding public places? the only real precautions we can always take- in everything- is relying on intuition. i read gavin de becker's "the gift of fear" and i can say i never worry about anything anymore, til my intuition tells me, and i am most always right.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:04 PM

75 posts, read 89,319 times
Mass murderers scare me more. I am a college student studying to be a teacher, and let me tell you, all this talk about Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech etc horrifies me. A lot of serial killers pick up hookers and people who are weak and vulnerable, whereas a spree killer or active shooter poses more of a risk for me and my students. Simply horrifying that we even have to have this discussion in our supposedly enlightened times!

Old 04-12-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo2705 View Post
Mass murderers scare me more. I am a college student studying to be a teacher, and let me tell you, all this talk about Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech etc horrifies me. A lot of serial killers pick up hookers and people who are weak and vulnerable, whereas a spree killer or active shooter poses more of a risk for me and my students. Simply horrifying that we even have to have this discussion in our supposedly enlightened times!
students are also a big target of serial killers. everyone keeps talking here like prostitutes are the vast majority of victims, and its not true. don't get false comfort from a fact that isn't true! (don't be paranoid, just be aware!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime