Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 05:38 PM

273 posts, read 1,061,233 times

Advertisements

scares me? they entertain me! it's like real life hannibal lechter. you can find one everyday on new york daily news website. some random killing in serial killer style
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 11:26 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Serial most definitely because of the gore, and stalking prey.

Spree killers concern me, but that is why I always do the Jason Bourne assessment of my surroundings.
Many serial killers don't do gory murders. They prefer less blood-soaked means of death, such as poison, strangling, injections, and other ways. The reason is obvious; bloody crimes provoke much more outrage and bring much more public attention. Attention creates suspicion, and suspicion creates criminal charges.
The last thing serial killers want is attention. They live to kill. That's their main purpose in life.

The first thing mass and spree killers want is attention. The more the better. it is important to remember that a mass killing only means more than one victim. We have all gotten far to used to reading about mass killings were 3-4 people are killed in offices, at all kinds of work, on farms, and everywhere. They don't even make the front page anymore, most of the time until the numbers are above 5 dead.

Mass killers want to be known. Once they have accomplished that, they often commit suicide, believing that they will die famous.

There are two entirely different personalities between serial and mass murderers. I'm more scared of a mass murderer because many people who die are not the targets; they are just innocently on the scene.
Serial murderers do pick victims randomly, but they almost always only pick one at a time and are scared off by numbers of people who are physically close to the intended victim.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:00 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Those serial killers on Criminal Minds scare the bejeebers out of me! All the twisted things they come up with, and you just know that a lot of it must be based on real cases!

But they Hollywood them up to make them more comprehensible. And they always make the victims look as much like Susie and Jim on Main Street as possible, to scare you more. But as the poster above said, they choose people who won't be missed for the most part. Victims like Adam Walsh are rare exceptions.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Serial killers because mass murders do not usually continue .That is the way for serila in the serial muders.Besides even i terrorist the odds are 3.5 million to one of being a victim killed or injuried. i persepctive the chnaces for same on roadways is 8000 in 1.Not sure about serial killers as like we don't even recognise now many there are happening.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:41 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,966,721 times
Terrorists! Some kid with a dirty bomb in our mall ... or a kid with explosives wrapped around his body.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:03 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
Serial killers because no mass murderer has done to his victims (slow death, abduction, torture,rape, cannibalism)what somebody like Bundy or Dahmer did and usually in the course of years before being caught. The mass murderer shoots, kills (or miss) and then usually kills himself, all in one sequence. End of story.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:19 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Serial killers because no mass murderer has done to his victims (slow death, abduction, torture,rape, cannibalism)what somebody like Bundy or Dahmer did and usually in the course of years before being caught. The mass murderer shoots, kills (or miss) and then usually kills himself, all in one sequence. End of story.
Goooood points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime