U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 05:09 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,842,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
The part that interests me is the psyche of people who do things--good or bad. Saints and sinners are both intriguing.

You come from the same place that I. I just always wondered if I was the only one to keep quiet and found that idea preposterous. Too many people are family of incarcerated criminals and multiply that by the ones that didn't get caught? I just think more people know more than they care to say out of shame. Still I think that has it's own psychological element that I've never understood. Insight from whatever perspective is cause for more learning. It would help me tremendously in understanding my own past behaviour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 01:47 PM

Never the mind, since the decline of soap operas have prompted more interest in "true crime". Sorry, but I think it's easier for people to avoid their own skeletons and latch on to what is "popular" or media worthy..

Old 04-15-2013, 11:14 AM

56,187 posts, read 54,646,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
I thought that more people might admit to the "black sheep in the family" or their skeletons via this venue of anonimity. So, for every ONE crime you hear of , there are 100 you don't. All these criminals in prisons supposedly have no family? You always hear (in televised cases) how couldn't the wife, girlfriend, mother, father not have known???

So, laugh away and as most of society does, live in denial. I've just always been curious about how many people actually KNOW about crimes but cover them up.....maybe you are one.
It's not denial. You can whack your head pretty hard jumping to conclusions, ya know.

I'm not following your line of thinking here. You are making this giant assumption that everyone actually HAS these "black sheep" or "skeletons" and just aren't admitting for...well, you don't really state why you think people would be deviously hiding all this information. You are just leaping to some conclusion that they are. I write. I tell stories. Trust me, if I had a great tale of a murderer in my own family I'd be all over that, and I'd be talking to a publisher.

But in reality, if everyone had a murderer in their family--I'm assuming we're talking major crimes here--wouldn't there be a lot more murders? My late brother had a drug problem and broke into houses in the neighborhood and stole and pawned jewelry. I'm assuming you're not referring to something so mundane. It certainly wasn't a secret--it was a small town and he was working as an electrician in the police station across the street from the only pawn shop and was readily identified as the guy who'd brought in the stolen items. Master criminal.

So, I'm thinking. Maybe my sister the nurse at the residence for mentally-challenged adults is secretly killing her patients with curare. Maybe the sister with the software engineering degree is masterminding a takeover of the goverment. Maybe the brother who works at Radio Shack is laundering money. None of this really rings true, but that seems to be the path you think we should go down, and I really don't get it when there's nothing that would indicate such activity.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:08 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,357,555 times
But a lot of people are also interested because they have been victimized themselves -- in a way you then know a criminal, but that doesn't mean there's a murderer in the family.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:01 PM

56,187 posts, read 54,646,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
But a lot of people are also interested because they have been victimized themselves -- in a way you then know a criminal, but that doesn't mean there's a murderer in the family.
But the OP is specifically stating that he or she believes we all have these criminals in our family but are hiding knowledge of them.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:10 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,357,555 times
Well, I tend to think that unless you are a member of Sawney Bean's family, maybe one of the Krays or the Gambinos, you are very unlikely to discuss your criminal exploits at the dinner table with your kids or your spouse. That would be way beyond stupid.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But the OP is specifically stating that he or she believes we all have these criminals in our family but are hiding knowledge of them.
Sorry, to pop the bubble. I did not mean EVERY PERSON on the planet had knowledge of a crime, but in a broader spectrum more people "know" than say. Sorry for the generalization.....Wasn't quoting a statistic. Just thinking that there are so many true crime stories ie; ID, New Detectives, and along that line and all those people DO have friends/family...Right? Most people talk? Basically curious about people "knowing" and not saying. Sorry, but I thought it was simple in a kind of general sort of way. Now? No more sorrys. I hope i explained my stance to you.

Not trying to arrest anyone, but was curious as to why people do what they do? Both on the crime side and the "knowledge" side. (Ie: fear? being labeled accomplice, retaliation, threats)

Old 04-23-2013, 11:08 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,154,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
Sorry, to pop the bubble. I did not mean EVERY PERSON on the planet had knowledge of a crime, but in a broader spectrum more people "know" than say. Sorry for the generalization.....Wasn't quoting a statistic.
It's easy to be misunderstood when you make statements like this:

Quote:
I KNOW everyone knows of someone who is a criminal. I don't care if it's in your family, a friend, or you are in denial...but in reality, doesn't everyone know a criminal?
There is a stigma attached to being a criminal, and some of that rubs off on the family. It isn't difficult to understand that people do not want to set themselves up for derision or ostracism.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
It's easy to be misunderstood when you make statements like this:

There is a stigma attached to being a criminal, and some of that rubs off on the family. It isn't difficult to understand that people do not want to set themselves up for derision or ostracism.
Quite simply, denial. Just wondered how many people had the cajones to stand in truth that wasn't even theirs....maybe not many.........

Old 04-25-2013, 06:32 PM

5,798 posts, read 9,313,864 times
Very interesting (and rather weird) thread, because of the underlying premise that just about everyone knows a hardened criminal, but just isn't talking. Because the assumption is unfalsifiable. If people deny that they know criminals, it's just taken as further proof that they do, because they just won't admit it.

No I don't have any hardened criminals in my family history, either. Which must mean that I do?

There is a difference between denying something, and being in denial! Certainly, some are in denial. But you can't tell just by the fact that they deny having skeletons in the family closet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or