Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 09:13 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,007 times

Advertisements

I've seen so many people basically infatuated with the crime that reaches media status and based on my own life, I KNOW everyone knows of someone who is a criminal. I don't care if it's in your family, a friend, or you are in denial...but in reality, doesn't everyone know a criminal?

I'm basically trying to understand the fascination with the "true crime" element. Sure, I watch the ID or detective shows in hopes I might learn something I didn't already know to protect myself. However, I've known and lived with serious criminals and kept my trap shut! I just figure everyone does the same thing. Isn't that just "normal" here in America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 10:28 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
Maybe we're fascinated because we don't know anyone of that nature. I think the scariest murders were those committed by your average, everyday person that you might work with or live next to -- you know, the ones that nobody "would ever suspect". My family must have swept our dark past under the rug -- I only know of adolescent delinquents, and of course, their records are sealed.

On the flip side, no one I've known personally has ever been murdered or died under suspicious circumstances. Not even any horrific accidents, just natural causes. Plenty of victims of muggings and robbery, but that was just theft of property and the people involved weren't injured.

So, no, not everyone does personally know criminals. But then, my life's not done yet... give me time.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:08 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,465 times
No, I personally don't know anyone that is a "serious criminal." DUIs, minor drug possession and things of that nature, sure. No felons amongst my family or friends. If you get into random acquaintances, like co-workers, etc. then it's a little bit different but those aren't people that most of us have in our lives by choice. If I met someone who I knew or suspected to be a criminal (child abuser, rapist, murderer, thief, etc), the last thing I would want to do would be to develop any type of relationship with that person.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
No, I personally don't know anyone that is a "serious criminal." DUIs, minor drug possession and things of that nature, sure. No felons amongst my family or friends. If you get into random acquaintances, like co-workers, etc. then it's a little bit different but those aren't people that most of us have in our lives by choice. If I met someone who I knew or suspected to be a criminal (child abuser, rapist, murderer, thief, etc), the last thing I would want to do would be to develop any type of relationship with that person.
Unfortunately, you are usually in a "relationship" before that ugly side presents itself. Quite often, have children before you know the bulk of it.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:11 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,778 times
"Sherlock Holmes" was my favorite novel when I was in my teenage time. I like the logical deduction and keen observation skills possessed by those detectives. Yes, I'm fascinated about the process of finding the real culprit in those detective stories.

As one of my friends was falsely accused by the system, I become more interested in the justice system itself. This is to protect myself.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:06 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
I've seen so many people basically infatuated with the crime that reaches media status and based on my own life, I KNOW everyone knows of someone who is a criminal. I don't care if it's in your family, a friend, or you are in denial...but in reality, doesn't everyone know a criminal?

I'm basically trying to understand the fascination with the "true crime" element. Sure, I watch the ID or detective shows in hopes I might learn something I didn't already know to protect myself. However, I've known and lived with serious criminals and kept my trap shut! I just figure everyone does the same thing. Isn't that just "normal" here in America?
Yeah, we all know serious criminals, sure. I think you're trying to get a reaction. I laughed.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:56 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post

Nope ... not me. I have never lived with serious criminals nor would I keep my trap shut. I have a daughter with seat belt violations but that is the extent of my criminal cohabitation. And believe me I give her a fit ... buckle up that seat belt!

Old 04-09-2013, 10:51 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
"Sherlock Holmes" was my favorite novel when I was in my teenage time. I like the logical deduction and keen observation skills possessed by those detectives. Yes, I'm fascinated about the process of finding the real culprit in those detective stories.

As one of my friends was falsely accused by the system, I become more interested in the justice system itself. This is to protect myself.
yep. i have always, my whole life, been fascinated with true crime, and the biggest reason is the art of detecting. the painful, thoroughgoing, meticulous detective work of Great Britain, especially. I remember reading of one crime in the sixties, they were trying to narrow down a list of suspects by blood type, and they literally got samples from every single man in the entire west midlands area. yeah, its a smaller country, but they SIFT. its alot harder i suppose in a sprawling country like america, but after all, we got em on the profiling. WE did that. those profiler guys are some of my heroes. as are detectives in general. i wish i could marry one, honestly, then i could live that other live vicariously through my husband, because you only have one life and im pretty happy being an armchair detective. those guys are like superheroes to me!!!
its one of the last professions where you are literally battling evil every work day. i'm a sort of anti-establishment type myself, but detectives, those guys aren't out beating gangsters upside the head with nightsticks or arresting kids for smoking weed, they are catching guys like the Green River Killer. give me a break! that is the COOLEST!

Old 04-10-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah, we all know serious criminals, sure. I think you're trying to get a reaction. I laughed.
I thought that more people might admit to the "black sheep in the family" or their skeletons via this venue of anonimity. So, for every ONE crime you hear of , there are 100 you don't. All these criminals in prisons supposedly have no family? You always hear (in televised cases) how couldn't the wife, girlfriend, mother, father not have known???

So, laugh away and as most of society does, live in denial. I've just always been curious about how many people actually KNOW about crimes but cover them up.....maybe you are one.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:20 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
The part that interests me is the psyche of people who do things--good or bad. Saints and sinners are both intriguing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime