Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 08:29 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,856,789 times

Advertisements

The night is dark and full of terrors. So teach your children to shoot, and teach 'em young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 05:36 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
some children and adults should never be handling firearms.
all my children have been handling and shooting firearms since age 4 under my supervision.
my 2 younger daughters at home have their own firearms that they can use and use responsibly. they also know the responsibility and dangers of having and using a firearm.

just so you know, I am a certified firearms instructor and range master. my daughters have all had the best training I could provide or buy for them if I could not train it to them.

Sorry, but to have a child that is just practically out of toddlerhood handling and shooting a gun is just NUTS.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:51 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
The night is dark and full of terrors. So teach your children to shoot, and teach 'em young.
Here is my opinion on what a parent should be teaching their child at an early age. Their own phone numbers, the emergency 9-- number, and their grandparents numbers.

I found two lost little girls last summer....I stood with them and waited and asked if they knew their own phone number...The little girl, maybe 5...knew not only her number but her Grand Mother's number....who she was visiting from another state. I had my cell and we called and these little ones were waiting w/ me for Mom and GMA to come swoop them up. They had wandered down the street to a garage sale.
I was so happy that these little ones knew those important numbers.
The topic is this poor little child: RIP little one.

Last edited by JanND; 04-22-2013 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: edit text enhance???

Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
WOW age 4! What firearm did you use with your children at that age?

Ruger MK2 22 LR pistol and Ruger 10/22 LR rifle.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Sorry, but to have a child that is just practically out of toddlerhood handling and shooting a gun is just NUTS.

that is your choice, but please not inform me how to raise my children and i wont do it for yours either.

just because you think what is right for your kids, does not mean it is right for mine.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Ludicrous. A child is still a child...they do not have the ability to think and react to the point of trusting them w/ a loaded firearm. You are a trained person. Certification obviously doesn't count for much if you had to go through certification, yet your children are barely toddlers at 4 handling loaded firearms...Are your children old enough at 4 to be certified? I pray that you never regret this.
Check your own state's laws...allowing children to handle guns is considered child neglect. Give that some thought. Below...State Laws on Child Abuse and Neglect link....
Scroll down to page 13...Neglect:Exposure to Hazards https://www.childwelfare.gov/edtoolk...eglect_ch2.pdf

guess you are one of those that trust everything that government says. well guess what buster, i sure as hell dont. no village will raise my children, and the government wont either.

just because the feds say it is neglect, does not mean it is so.

the feds have a reason that they are pushing their gun control mantra, and you bought it hook line and sinker.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Why does a 4-year-old need to handle and shoot firearms? Riding a big wheel, playing in a sandbox, learning to swim, etc. wasn't exciting enough? I'm sorry, but that sounds really extreme and irresponsible to me, putting a gun in a small child's hands, supervised or not.

they did not want to play in a sandbox or ride a big wheel. they wanted to ride horses, feed the cows and learn how to shoot. just because you city people like things going your way, does not mean that it goes the same way in the country.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2O13 View Post
and you should be reported. to protective services, the police, etc.

good luck with that one, the sheriff has had me teach his kids how to shoot when they were 6.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:13 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,107 times
I can not see where a 4 year old shooting is wrong long as it's a weapon they can handle,gets them ready for when they can handle heavier weapons for Turkey and Deer hunting at 6 which thousands do in our area every year.

Just an unfortunate accident with the 7 year old.

brushrunner

Old 04-27-2013, 09:38 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,618 times
I know when I was in early grade school someone gave me a rifle on my grandmothers farm and I shot and killed pregnant pig. To me being a kid it was just an animal to be hunted. I feel bad now because I never kill animals. I don't even kill spiders if I can help it. I try to trap them and put them outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime