U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 05:19 PM

335 posts, read 578,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Try again. Neglect? Nope. Abuse of any type? Nope?

You'd have no grounds. And unfortunately because of the way the law is written he'd have no recourse for you filing a false report.

You're a very frightened individual aren't you?

Oh, have you ever been on a farm? Where 6 year olds drive a tractor. Or in a state where 12 year olds can take said tractor, or other motorized farm vehicle, on the roads?
Frightened for the child and anyone who he may shoot YES. I live in a rural area.

I just called the police in my area fact my police station said they are contacting CD. . I HAVE A CASE. END OF STORY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 05:35 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,289,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Why does a 4-year-old need to handle and shoot firearms? Riding a big wheel, playing in a sandbox, learning to swim, etc. wasn't exciting enough? I'm sorry, but that sounds really extreme and irresponsible to me, putting a gun in a small child's hands, supervised or not.

A gun was built with one purpose in mind - to KILL! They are not toys. the very idea of a FOUR YEAR OLD and a GUN makes me ILL!!!

Old 04-21-2013, 05:36 PM

16,019 posts, read 19,721,021 times
Sad and unbelievably irresponsible parenting IMO

Old 04-21-2013, 05:45 PM

33,933 posts, read 42,206,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2O13 View Post
Frightened for the child and anyone who he may shoot YES. I live in a rural area.

I just called the police in my area fact my police station said they are contacting CD. . I HAVE A CASE. END OF STORY!
Right.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
some children and adults should never be handling firearms.
all my children have been handling and shooting firearms since age 4 under my supervision.
my 2 younger daughters at home have their own firearms that they can use and use responsibly. they also know the responsibility and dangers of having and using a firearm.

just so you know, I am a certified firearms instructor and range master. my daughters have all had the best training I could provide or buy for them if I could not train it to them.
Ludicrous. A child is still a child...they do not have the ability to think and react to the point of trusting them w/ a loaded firearm. You are a trained person. Certification obviously doesn't count for much if you had to go through certification, yet your children are barely toddlers at 4 handling loaded firearms...Are your children old enough at 4 to be certified? I pray that you never regret this.
Check your own state's laws...allowing children to handle guns is considered child neglect. Give that some thought. Below...State Laws on Child Abuse and Neglect link....
Scroll down to page 13...Neglect:Exposure to Hazards https://www.childwelfare.gov/edtoolk...eglect_ch2.pdf

Last edited by JanND; 04-21-2013 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: edit text

Old 04-21-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Try again. Neglect? Nope. Abuse of any type? Nope?

You'd have no grounds. And unfortunately because of the way the law is written he'd have no recourse for you filing a false report.

You're a very frightened individual aren't you?

Oh, have you ever been on a farm? Where 6 year olds drive a tractor. Or in a state where 12 year olds can take said tractor, or other motorized farm vehicle, on the roads?
I posted a link. It is considered Neglect under Child Abuse and Neglect Laws. Please see my post above.

Last edited by JanND; 04-21-2013 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: edit text

Old 04-21-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I posted a link. It is considered Neglect under Child Abuse and Neglect Laws. Please see my post above.
Did you read you link and norm it with what MonkeyWrenching said?

Because I don't really feel like bouncing between windows I'll summarize: the firearms portion is about unsecured/loaded firearms in the house. Nothing about what he described, which a reading would have made clear. Unless he was target shooting in the house, which I doubt

Old 04-21-2013, 07:31 PM

I did read the link...That is why I supplied the link. I quoted your post, I am responding with my link and my opinions.
Looks like you summarized leaving out some important language....Here...I'm happy to help:
State Laws on Child Abuse and Neglect link....

Scroll down to page 13...Neglect:Exposure to Hazards https://www.childwelfare.gov/edtoolk...eglect_ch2.pdf

QUOTE:
Exposure to hazards.

Examples of exposure to
in- and out-of-home hazards include:
Guns and other weapons—guns that are kept
in the house that are loaded and not locked
up or are in reach of children; UNQUOTE

Last edited by JanND; 04-21-2013 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: edit text

Old 04-21-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Here...I'm happy to help...You left out quite a bit:
State Laws on Child Abuse and Neglect link....

QUOTE:
Exposure to hazards.
Examples of exposure to
in- and out-of-home hazards include:
Guns and other weapons—guns that are kept
in the house that are loaded and not locked
up or are in reach of children; UNQUOTE

And your interpretation is stretching. Let's face it, very few Courts would take on a case of a father charged with neglect for shooting with his kid under controlled situations. You also ignore the operative phrase preceding your underlining-in the house.

And, once again, just because you're afraid of things don't extrapolate to everyone. The night is dark and full of terrors.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:40 PM

It wouldn't be my interpretation you'd need to be concerned with. That was a quote. People can read the link for themselves. Just sayin..........

Last edited by JanND; 04-21-2013 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: edit text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime