U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 09:50 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,992,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I know when I was in early grade school someone gave me a rifle on my grandmothers farm and I shot and killed pregnant pig. To me being a kid it was just an animal to be hunted. I feel bad now because I never kill animals. I don't even kill spiders if I can help it. I try to trap them and put them outside.
Have taught my kids there is some Animals to be killed for food and some were not.This was from a very early age.I also explaned ones for food was not to be made Pets out of,some learned the hard way when Butchering day came This is just the way it is.

brushrunner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 01:18 PM

16,884 posts, read 13,029,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2O13 View Post
allowing very small children handle guns. THOSE GROUNDS.

I would trust any of my daughters to own, shoot and carry any firearm safely and with more competance than 95% of the democrats in the USA.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:37 PM

9,911 posts, read 9,299,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I would trust any of my daughters to own, shoot and carry any firearm safely and with more competance than 95% of the democrats in the USA.
We didn't start our children as young as you did but we did start in their teens. First thing hubby taught was taking apart and cleaning. LOL Son would work on that ... then want to know when can I shoot it. Hubby taught him to use crossbows and knives too. Son is an adult now, has his CWP and is very responsible with weapons thanks to being raised and taught to respect a weapon.

Our grandson is 15 and learning those same lessons now.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:06 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,734,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Why does a 4-year-old need to handle and shoot firearms? Riding a big wheel, playing in a sandbox, learning to swim, etc. wasn't exciting enough? I'm sorry, but that sounds really extreme and irresponsible to me, putting a gun in a small child's hands, supervised or not.
I was handling a gun when I was 4. But, I also had a father that didn't take his eyes off me, and had one of his hands within a foot of the gun the whole time i was shooting it, ready to grab it. I got started early with the "DOs' and "DON'Ts". And my own kids also got the same training as I did, and now my grandkids have gone through the same thing.

I would suggest that it very irresponsible NOT TO TEACH THE KIDS BY THE TIME THEY ARE OLD ENOUGH TO PICK ONE UP ON THEIR OWN. While it is irresponsible to leave a gun where a child can get his/her hands on it, we are human. And, humans are prone to make mistakes. If a child knows what NOT TO DO if a gun happens to be left out in reach, it can reduce the chances of an accident.

There arte more than one side to the issue, and I do not believe it will ever be settled on here.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:49 PM

9,534 posts, read 7,829,050 times
Rangemaster, Navy Boot Camp firing range, to my son, after looking at his target: "What the... Oh, wait a minute, Where you from, sailor?"
My son: "Born in Montana, raised in Wyoming, sir!"
Rangemaster: "Yeah, I shoulda known, it figures!"

Yes, definitely, if children are going to be around guns, they should be taught about guns as soon as they are big enough to pick one up! Start by teaching them about gun SAFETY, so they won't yield to curiosity, thinking a real gun is a toy! The first thing my kids were taught was that ANY gun is loaded until YOU check to see that it is NOT loaded, and if YOU don't know how to check the gun, LEAVE IT ALONE, call an adult.
There were NO gun accidents in our home, EVER. The youngest kids are now in their 30s!
When I was a kid, and when my children were single digit ages, there were no such things as "gun safes".

Old 05-01-2013, 04:22 PM

32,418 posts, read 17,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
LOL! Are you serious with that? Simply based on others being democrats? My god, that is laughable. Don't forget to teach them to carry signs with misspelled words at the next tea party. I trust they will be better at that than 95% of the democrats in the USA too!!!

We were around firearms from a very early age as well. We tagged along with our fathers, grandfathers and uncles on hunting trips from an early age. We graduated from bb guns to single shot .22's at around age 10. But thank god, my parents never made asinine remarks about us being more trust worthy with firearms simply based on politics. That is just flat out stupid. Do you honestly think a 4 year old would understand your using politics to hate?

You need to back off from the hate-filled media and start thinking like a rational adult. My god, how low can you take your politics?

So if another parent teaches his/her children to handle firearms safely, you believe your daughters will still be more trustworthy simply because that other person is a democrat?

Old 05-03-2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
LOL! Are you serious with that? Simply based on others being democrats? My god, that is laughable. Don't forget to teach them to carry signs with misspelled words at the next tea party. I trust they will be better at that than 95% of the democrats in the USA too!!!

We were around firearms from a very early age as well. We tagged along with our fathers, grandfathers and uncles on hunting trips from an early age. We graduated from bb guns to single shot .22's at around age 10. But thank god, my parents never made asinine remarks about us being more trust worthy with firearms simply based on politics. That is just flat out stupid. Do you honestly think a 4 year old would understand your using politics to hate?

You need to back off from the hate-filled media and start thinking like a rational adult. My god, how low can you take your politics?

So if another parent teaches his/her children to handle firearms safely, you believe your daughters will still be more trustworthy simply because that other person is a democrat?

good for you, that is also why I said 95% too. guess you did not read that part. limited in reading I guess. so what about my spelling. I am not a english major or some kind professor either. but that is what happens when liberald or some other gun hater knows that they have lost an argument, they complain about someones spelling, calls the a racisr or a sexist.

you made my day, and i would still trust any of my daughters against 95% of the democrats. at least they know how to shoot.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
We didn't start our children as young as you did but we did start in their teens. First thing hubby taught was taking apart and cleaning. LOL Son would work on that ... then want to know when can I shoot it. Hubby taught him to use crossbows and knives too. Son is an adult now, has his CWP and is very responsible with weapons thanks to being raised and taught to respect a weapon.

Our grandson is 15 and learning those same lessons now.

with firearms being a part of my occupation, I knew that my daughters would have to become real good at firearms safety and learning the destructive capability of firearms. what better way to teach them that by teaching them how to shoot.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:45 PM

3,363 posts, read 2,700,024 times
5-year-old boy shoots 2-year-old sister in Ky.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post

accidents happen. I have seen cops shoot one another accidently. it can happen to anyone, not just the civilian population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime