U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 08:25 PM

3,372 posts, read 2,708,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
accidents happen. I have seen cops shoot one another accidently. it can happen to anyone, not just the civilian population.
Of course it can happen to anyone. But an accident is way more likely to happen when a 5 year old has a lethal weapon in his hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 06:08 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,890,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Try again. Neglect? Nope. Abuse of any type? Nope?

You'd have no grounds. And unfortunately because of the way the law is written he'd have no recourse for you filing a false report.

You're a very frightened individual aren't you?

Oh, have you ever been on a farm? Where 6 year olds drive a tractor. Or in a state where 12 year olds can take said tractor, or other motorized farm vehicle, on the roads?
You obviously haven't either. Because 1. no six year old is physically large enough to operate any type of tractor, and 2. it's illegal for 12 year olds to operate any vehicle including farm equipment on public roads. Nice try though.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:44 AM

7,112 posts, read 9,357,555 times
Quote:
Try again. Neglect? Nope. Abuse of any type? Nope?

You'd have no grounds. And unfortunately because of the way the law is written he'd have no recourse for you filing a false report.

Oh, have you ever been on a farm? Where 6 year olds drive a tractor. Or in a state where 12 year olds can take said tractor, or other motorized farm vehicle, on the roads?
Child endangerment sure counts. Of course they would have to take a close look at the situation. Just giving a kid access to guns shouldn't qualify in itself.

There is recourse for filing a false report, but a child-endangerment complaint may or may not prove to be true; they know that going in. If it doesn't prove to be true, everyone's happy.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:17 AM

13,900 posts, read 10,796,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2O13 View Post
and you should be reported. to protective services, the police, etc.
Why are you so scared of your own shadow? I see it as being quite comical. I guess you feel that parents who teach their kids how to hunt should also be reported right? I'll raise mine, you raise yours. We'll see who can be the most independant. I'll teach mine how to hunt, how to fish, how to raise a crop, how to raise a meat rabbit, You just keep teaching yours the "proper" way to sip a mocha chino or which fork is the "salad" fork and whch one is the dinner fork....kay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2O13 View Post
Frightened for the child and anyone who he may shoot YES. I live in a rural area.

I just called the police in my area fact my police station said they are contacting CD. . I HAVE A CASE. END OF STORY!
LOL, some people just have nothing better to do with their day I guess. And if the police said they were contacting this site, let me tell you something.... they were.... LYING to you, likely in order to shut you up so they could get back to dealing with real crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
A gun was built with one purpose in mind - to KILL! They are not toys. the very idea of a FOUR YEAR OLD and a GUN makes me ILL!!!
WRONG!!! A gun WAS built with one purpose in mind, which is to fire a projectile at a high rate of speed, that is all.

Quote:
?
I wouldn't call them frightening so much as I would frightened

Old 05-10-2013, 04:32 AM

13,900 posts, read 10,796,204 times
Some people are just frightened when it comes to differences in culture I guess. I can see how someone who is raised in a city or has spent the vast majority of their life there would see letting a child handle a small caliber fiream as OUTRAGEOUS compared to someone who grew up in a rural area and uses a gun as a vital tool for everyday life. It's a cultural difference. In a city, a gun really only serves a few prurposes. Committing crime or fighting crime. In more rural areas, the reality of gun ownership is much different. I was handling a semi-auto .22 rifle at age six with my dad crouched down right behing me basically holding it for me. I've since moved on to bigger and better guns and guess what? I hold'em all by myself now!!

Let me ask you frady cats this though....... If a child is going to grow up in a home where the poarents own guns, which is better? Hiding them away and never letting touch it at all ever? Or, familiarizing them with what a gun is, teaching them that it is not a toy, teaching them what NOT do do with a gun, and eventually, teaching them how to safely and reponsibly use it? Seems lke a no brainer to me.

When I was a kid my dad wouldn't even let me pioint my TOY guns at people.... said it just isn't good practice to do so....

Old 05-16-2013, 12:13 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,357,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
accidents happen. I have seen cops shoot one another accidently. it can happen to anyone, not just the civilian population.
But when you buy a 5-year-old a kid-sized rifle, painted in cheery toylike colors as the Crickett is, load it and then let him play with it when there's only a 2-year-old supervising him, you're asking for trouble. How can you even compare that to a genuine shooting accident by a trained professional like a police officer?

Old 05-16-2013, 07:06 PM

3,372 posts, read 2,708,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

Let me ask you frady cats this though....... If a child is going to grow up in a home where the poarents own guns, which is better? Hiding them away and never letting touch it at all ever? Or, familiarizing them with what a gun is, teaching them that it is not a toy, teaching them what NOT do do with a gun, and eventually, teaching them how to safely and reponsibly use it? Seems lke a no brainer to me.
In my mind, there is a huge difference between teaching a child, familiarizing a child, with guns....and leaving a child unsupervised with a loaded gun that is depicted as a toy (child sized). If you have a *five year old* who owns a child-sized gun, said gun should be unloaded AT ALL TIMES unless there is an adult with the child.

This isn't differences in culture. It's common sense versus stupidity.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:51 AM

2,008 posts, read 6,046,522 times
Both daughters of ours are in their 30's. They started shooting around 7 years old. Pellet guns and 22's and then on up in size and caliber as they wanted. Now both hunt, pleasure shoot and enjoy guns. I know they have them if needed for protection also. It is not the age but how you instill the seriousness and respectability of a weapon. Sounds like the parents and other gun owners there weren't paying attention to the child.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:29 PM

251 posts, read 376,549 times
Quote:

Any adult not clever enough to keep a weapon 100% out of the hands of kid shouldn't be allowed to own one himself. It can be done but sadly most parents barely try

Quote:
When I was a kid my dad wouldn't even let me pioint my TOY guns at people.... said it just isn't good practice to do so....
And you would be lying if you said you never disobeyed him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime