Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 07:49 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times

Advertisements

Jackson was an adult. He choose to contract with AEG. He chose a doctor, and he directed the doctor to give him meds....the doctor complied, or he would have lost out on the money train.

Slam dunk on this...Jackson was an addict. AEG was the loser here....for trying to get Jackson to do anything....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 08:48 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
This case involved some fairly complicated issues. It sounds to me like the jury got the verdict right. However, these were the issues:

1. Did AEG hire Conrad Murray to work as a personal physician for Jackson? (the jury answered yes).

2. Was AEG negligent in choosing or selecting Murray to work as Jackson's physician? (the jury answered no)

The jury answering "no" to the second question ended the lawsuit. Individuals and corporations are responsible automatically for the acts of persons the law terms "employees and agents". Dr. Murray was not an employee of AEG though. His legal status as a physician is that of "independent contractor". Individuals and corporations are not responsible automatically for the acts of independent contractors.

Just a few words on distinguishing between employees and independent contractors: If I hire a plumber a couple of times a year to fix my pipes and he brings his own tools and hands me a written billing statement when he is done, than he is an independent contractor. If I have a maid that works for me 40 hours a week and I withhold money from her salary to pay her income and FICA taxes, she is almost certainly an employee.

There is a legal theory where one can be held responsible in rare instances for the acts of an independent contractor. That theory is one of "negligent hiring or selection". That was the theory Michael Jackson's family relied on in this case. If Dr. Murray had had a bad record as a physician before he was hired by AEG this would have been a basis for holding AEG responsible for the careless and negligent way in which he handled Michael Jackson's care. I don't care what Michael wanted and what he was asking for. It was Murray's duty as a physician and professional person to look beyond a paycheck and do what was in the best interests of his patient.

However, as it turns out Murray apparently did not have a bad record. He did not have a history of malpractice lawsuits or discipline by state licensing boards. As such, it strikes me that a claim of negligent selection had no basis.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:41 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,754,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Jackson was an adult. He choose to contract with AEG. He chose a doctor, and he directed the doctor to give him meds....the doctor complied, or he would have lost out on the money train.

Slam dunk on this...Jackson was an addict. AEG was the loser here....for trying to get Jackson to do anything....

Well, Murray always had the right to refuse inappropriate meds. I wish they would get a move pon and pass the law requireing docs to get special certification before they are allowed to prescribe filth like this.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:12 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
There was a nurse anesthesiologist offered the MJ job, she declined. She said it was difficult to turn down.

Professional ethics above all. MJ was used to getting what he wanted, on demand. The sad thing, he was obviously an addict, and it looks like even his own family denied it. They should have been the ones to address it.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:32 PM

8,885 posts, read 5,366,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Prince was the first of the Jacksons to testify during the trial. He testified that when he arrived at the hospital where his father had been rushed, the pop singer’s personal physician met him and his siblings.
"Sorry kids. Dad's dead," he said Dr. Conrad Murray told them.
"We just cried," the performer's son said.
Michael Jackson's son Prince Jackson tells of childhood, Neverland - latimes.com
This demonstrates Conrad Murray is a jerk. What did this have to do with whether or not AEG was responsible for his death?

Old 10-06-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Let's hope that you're never a jury member with such bias.
I'm almost certain I'd be eliminated early on. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to be there.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:00 PM

I was watching Fox News when Shepard Smith reported that the possibility of getting Dr Murray on the stand as a witness same up. This motivated Dr Murray to issue a statement that went something like If you do you'll be sorry. I know the reasons Michael didn't want anything to do with his family and if you don't leave me alone I'll reveal the shocking truth.

One of the women attorneys said For heaven's sake, what more could there be?!!

Old 10-08-2013, 07:56 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,881,944 times
AEG made it quite clear that they were the one's who are paying Conrad and that he is employed by AEG. Simple as that. I don't care who found the doctor. AEG paid Conrad's Salary and were his employer, can't get anymore simple than that.

AEG choose to ignore the many obvious sings of Michael's decline.
If you've seen the movie, you will notice a dramatic weight loss, something that is not healthy.

On June 19, a week before Michael died, he came to rehearsal disoriented and cold. The play director sent out an email warning of Michael's condition and that he needed help. What did AEG do? Scheduled rehearsals for the next week. They were simply concerned with the profit they could have made off of this.

Yes, Michael was an excellent performer and if he were in better health, no doubt, he could have pulled the shows off. But when you see someone demise right infront of you and choose to ignore it, that's your selfishness.

Take a look at the movie, several songs contain dubbed vocals. Why? Why cover up the vocals from that actual rehearsal. The sad thing is, those rehearsals were shown in court.

Just look at this:
June 19th Costume fitting:

Old 10-09-2013, 02:49 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
AEG made it quite clear that they were the one's who are paying Conrad and that he is employed by AEG. Simple as that. I don't care who found the doctor.
From what I've read, Jackson himself paid Murray. Where did you hear otherwise?
AEG lawyer testifies in Michael Jackson death trial - CNN.com
http://www.showbiz411.com/2013/05/30...ksons-employee

Old 10-09-2013, 03:56 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,881,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Not according to the emails sent by AEG

"We want to remind (Murray) that it is AEG, not MJ, who is paying his salary"

Michael, was the one who found Conrad and wanted him as a doctor, not paid him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime