U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2013, 07:05 AM

200 posts, read 223,876 times

Advertisements

There's only so much air that can be squeezed out of the balloon. It seems like the decline has slowed down compared to the steep drops of the late 90s/early 2000s. Do you think we're nearing the leveling off of the drop? Or do you think we will drop lower than possibly western Europe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 08:22 AM

6,383 posts, read 6,020,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsta View Post
There's only so much air that can be squeezed out of the balloon. It seems like the decline has slowed down compared to the steep drops of the late 90s/early 2000s. Do you think we're nearing the leveling off of the drop? Or do you think we will drop lower than possibly western Europe?
I don't get the analogy. Why wouldn't crime continue to drop. Crime should drop. A few things that keep crime at the levels it is at now.

• The "war" on drugs
  • Poverty
  • Prohibition of social vices; if there were more federal legalization some of the violence that occurs due to issues with criminalization would not occur
There are other, more complex, less politically correct issues you can explore, of course. But crime should not be the norm, in any society. Now if you're referring to the idea that we have more police and a prison-industrial complex that is keeping crime levels low, that is another issue entirely.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:16 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,308,954 times
The US murder rate is still extremely high by developed-world standards, so one would hope that it has further to fall.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:53 PM

200 posts, read 223,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I don't get the analogy. Why wouldn't crime continue to drop. Crime should drop. A few things that keep crime at the levels it is at now.

• The "war" on drugs
  • Poverty
  • Prohibition of social vices; if there were more federal legalization some of the violence that occurs due to issues with criminalization would not occur
There are other, more complex, less politically correct issues you can explore, of course. But crime should not be the norm, in any society. Now if you're referring to the idea that we have more police and a prison-industrial complex that is keeping crime levels low, that is another issue entirely.
I believe the majority of the credit goes to the police on this. Better and stricter policing and enhanced gang units. Just look at cities like Detroit and then look at LA, NYC, and Chicago.

Detroit cut its gang unit in 2012 and the murder rate hit its highest rate since 1993 and Detroit PD now has an average response time of nearly 30 minutes which is insane. Sometimes, the police do not even show up in Detroit now. NYC increased its gang unit by over 100% I believe and this year crime is dropping at an insane rate so much so that NYC may finish the year with 350 homicides. Chicago which had an unusual bloody year in 2012 with over 500 homicides and its bloodiest January since 2002 with 43 murders, in February CPD put 200 officers on the streets rather than desk duty and expanded its gang unit and only saw 14 murders in February, I believe 18 murders in March, and might end April with around 20.

Then you look at the economy and the state of the country getting worse and I wonder how much longer this could last. Gang violence is rising, gangs are growing, and cities are starting to go broke. Even Chicago can't afford to have all the cops they have moved on OT because they're going to surpass their OT budget by fall at this rate. There are only a few cities in America where slums have shrunk in the past few years and they are NY, LA, and I believe DC. Every other city in America has seen an INCREASE in the number of slums which is determined by the percentage of people in poverty in given areas. It's possible that it's only a matter of time before NY, LA, and DC feel the affects of this as well because they need the rest of the country to survive.

To me it seems like these cities are running on fumes now financially which could end in disaster for the police departments and crime rates. I was always skeptical of how the economy will affect it because it hasn't seemed to yet, but in reality as I dug deeper it seemed that it would take a few years and perhaps longer for the affects of the economy to catch up to the city's finances and mentality of people living in poverty.

Last edited by lobsta; 04-28-2013 at 07:05 PM..

Old 04-29-2013, 09:02 PM

1,109 posts, read 1,975,035 times
I don't believe that crime is dropping. IN fact the Milwaukee police department got caught fudging figures. They put personal assaults down as misdemeanors etc. The problem is that cities are broke(all of them) and they depend upon tourism for their hard cash and if the crime rate is high tourism goes down and the cities are in deeper trouble than before. Believe me Chicago went through this when I lived there in the 90s. It was mainly with trying to stop drugs. If they stopped all the drugs then the crime rate would go sky high with people robbing and strong armed robberies etc. So its a dilemma. Let the drugs go on but pretend to do something about it.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:22 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,359,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I don't believe that crime is dropping. IN fact the Milwaukee police department got caught fudging figures. They put personal assaults down as misdemeanors etc. The problem is that cities are broke(all of them) and they depend upon tourism for their hard cash and if the crime rate is high tourism goes down and the cities are in deeper trouble than before. Believe me Chicago went through this when I lived there in the 90s. It was mainly with trying to stop drugs. If they stopped all the drugs then the crime rate would go sky high with people robbing and strong armed robberies etc. So its a dilemma. Let the drugs go on but pretend to do something about it.
But any fibs are picked up when they compare the Uniform Crime Reports, submitted by police, and the National Crime Victimization Survey, which is based on cold-calling people and asking what kind of crime they have experienced. And it makes no sense for anyone to under-report crime, especially cops. More crime means more funding, higher pay and newer equipment for the police. They don't go to the Chamber of Commerce or the tourism promoters to ask about crime.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:21 PM

1,545 posts, read 2,290,093 times
It's becoming technologically impossible to be a criminal, it's just whether society can spend the kind of money necessary to reach that level of policing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime