U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 09:14 AM

13,900 posts, read 10,810,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Nope, I checked that out, a sitting Chief Judge on TV talking about a case ... he's not violating a judicial code of conduct, maybe just unprofessional but he did it. I thought perhaps he was maybe thinking about not running for reelection and going to try to get a Judge TV show.

He was critical of the jury, critical of the verdict, critical of Baez and critical of Casey Anthony. Yet he was the presiding judge on this case.

Yes ... I recall the one juror that was holding out and after lunch he caved and said just do what you want to do. He regrets it supposedly but that's hindsight now. They still haven't released the names of the Pinellas 12. I still think the jury foreman was pushing them for a not guilty. They could have pulled out all my nose hairs and I would have hung in there with a guilty verdict.
I won't pretend to know the psychological consequences and stresses of being seperated from my life for six weeks, but I don't think I'd have caved either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 12:34 PM

9,917 posts, read 9,321,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I won't pretend to know the psychological consequences and stresses of being seperated from my life for six weeks, but I don't think I'd have caved either.
The jury knew a guilty verdict would mean ... more time in the motel for the penalty and sentencing phases and with a not guilty ... they got to go home, go on the cruise, go back to work or leave the state as one juror did. I will always believe that is the reason for the 'not guilty' verdict.

I have always been stubborn when I make up my mind about something.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:58 PM

912 posts, read 1,253,055 times
The thing I find confusing about that theory is this -- Casey was charged with first degree murder, but they also included lesser charges of second degree murder, manslaughter, and I believe a few others. If the jury had come back with a "guilty" verdict for ANYTHING except for first degree murder, there wouldn't have been a penalty phase at all, because none of the rest of those convictions would've been DP-eligible. The jury still would have been able to go home immediately after rendering said verdict, and I know they knew that.

I'm not saying it's a wrong theory, I'm just saying that every time I think about this -- that's where I get hung up on fully believing it.

Regardless, was surprised to hear Judge Perry speak publicly about it -- his thoughts confirmed what I was thinking all along.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:54 PM

892 posts, read 1,599,804 times
Wow it has been two years?

I was so upset when this happened, but now I think she is worse off being free. She is broke, pathetic and always having to hide and watch hr back.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post

I was so upset when this happened, but now I think she is worse off being free. She is broke, pathetic and always having to hide and watch hr back.
Somebody somewhere is living good.

Cindy & George set up a charity 7/19/11 (second one) ... Caylee Anthony Foundation to aid grandparents rights ...the Anthonys planned to draw salaries from this new foundation. Dr. Phil deposited $600,000.00 to the fund for their appearance on his show. Their attorney Mark Lippman dissolved the fund on 5/22/2012. Less than a year later it was gone ... the money gone ... I thought the IRS monitored charities for fraud. It appears the Anthonys profited from the death of that beautiful little girl.

It's all gone.

http://www.cayleesfund.org/

Old 05-12-2013, 05:18 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,783,040 times
Casey Anthony bankruptcy hearing - OrlandoSentinel.com

Apparently, Casey says she is indigent. So much for Gonzalez or Kronk, getting anything.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:27 PM

If you recall ABC network paid Casey Anthony $200,000.00 for pictures and videos of Caylee. Baez ended up with that money. Baez actually sold the home videos provided by Casey of Caylee. In addition people sent money to Baez for Anthony's defense. If I recall he received almost $80,000.00 in donations with $70k of that coming from Todd somebody (I don't recall the last name.)

Now in her bankruptcy filing she owes Baez $500,000.00 more! She was indigent and at the time I had a copy of the court filing. When the court appointed Baez to represent Anthony, Baez agreed with the court on a fee of $89,000.

Then Cindy & George end up with $600,000.00.

No justice for Caylee just lowlifes making money off of her death.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:58 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,810,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
The thing I find confusing about that theory is this -- Casey was charged with first degree murder, but they also included lesser charges of second degree murder, manslaughter, and I believe a few others. If the jury had come back with a "guilty" verdict for ANYTHING except for first degree murder, there wouldn't have been a penalty phase at all, because none of the rest of those convictions would've been DP-eligible. The jury still would have been able to go home immediately after rendering said verdict, and I know they knew that.

I'm not saying it's a wrong theory, I'm just saying that every time I think about this -- that's where I get hung up on fully believing it.

Regardless, was surprised to hear Judge Perry speak publicly about it -- his thoughts confirmed what I was thinking all along.

How do you know they knew that? Not long after the verdict, some of the jurors spoke out and it was evident that they didn't follow procedure to the letter. I mean, they used the fact that the death penalty was on the table as a reason not to convict her with what they called a "lack of evidence".... That in itself was a violation, because they shouldn't have even been taking punishment in to consoderation at that point according to the rules. Another just gave in because apparently, "he wasn't going to convince anyone else".....That was another violation. If he was convinced that the state proved it's case, he should have hung the jury.

These twelve in my humble opinion, did not take their civic duty as seriously as they shiould have. They didn't want to take the time to battle it out, and so it was easier to just let her off and get out of there. Had they known just how big this case had gotten while they were living under their rock though, I think maybe they would have taken some more time to hash it out.

What I found quite humorous was that after it had been announced that a decision had been reached, some were questioning the short period of time deliberations took. The talking heads that thought sure it would be a guilty verdict said " they didn't need to take all that time, they have been hearing this for six weeks..... But THEN, after the verdict was announced, those same people were saying "those jurors didn't take enough time in thar" lol.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:16 PM

7,201 posts, read 11,932,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post

Not her type. She'll always have a man to leech off. Watch her back for what? No one will harm her as long as she's free. In prison she probably would have paid for what she did. Baby killers are about the bottom of the barrel in prison.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:47 AM

2,683 posts, read 3,423,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I'm just sorry that an investigation wasn't conducted. I'm not quite as sharp on the facts as I was a year or so ago but I can recall one of the jurors admitting that they just gave in because they "knew they weren't going to convince anyone else" That is a loose case for what would be considered misconduct but it is misconduct all the same. I think we had better re-examine how we select jurors. At the very least they should have to pass some kind of basic knowledge test on how the judicial system is supposed to work, and being educated on what constitutes reasonable doubt. The Casey Anthony trial really showed just how little the average citizen seems to know about the judicial system and how it works what with people asking "if she could be re tried" or "if the prosecutor could file an appeal" It stands to reason that these same people are being selected to serve on juries. I suppose that's the way the lawyers like jurors though, uninformed, uneducated, and dumb.
I've been on jury duty several times and always tried to get out of being picked for a trial. This is in Newark, NJ, so you know that they have tough crimes there. I'm not fond of the fact that the defendant is in the courtroom and gets to know who you are.

What's weird when you are picked for a jury in Newark is that each judge conducts things in a different way. Sometimes when you decide you cannot be on the jury you can tell the judge on the side of the courtroom, or in the judge's chambers, although one judge made me announce to the entire courtroom full of lawyers, potential jurors, and other people why I couldn't serve (I was the lucky 13, the alternate juror picked). I was so upset and embarrassed over this, I turned red and nearly fainted.

Most of the trials I was a potential juror for were for murder or attempted murder. But the last one was for a man allegedly sexually assaulting his girlfriend's children. When they announced that in the courtroom, all the potential jurors went "Ewwwwww!"

Anyway, while they pick jurors, the defendant with his lawyers are always present. In most of the other cases that I was on the defendants were dressed casually. In this molestation case the defendant was dressed in a suit and tie. Smart lawyer!

Anyway, this sweet lady next to me was also a potential juror. Remember, as yet we know absolutely nothing about the case because this is not the trial, just jury selection. This potential juror leaned over to me and said: "Isn't he a nice-looking young man? He looks so sweet. He doesn't look like he could hurt anybody."

She had already made up her mind he couldn't have done anything bad and she didn't even know the details of the case! After all, he was dressed so nicely.

I was disgusted and tried my hardest not to be picked. I have no idea if she was picked for the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or