U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 09:07 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,746,980 times

Advertisements

Anderson Cooper had an excellent special on CNN tonight. On missing children and people. And interviewed families, John Walsh, and a remarkable young survivor, Katie Beers,
Katie Beers kidnapping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 09:16 PM

892 posts, read 1,598,309 times
I agree they will need goals and not sit home as am sure they will be offered a lot of everything. But more important than this they need help. Professional help. I read their families right now are like strangers to them and vice versa. I wonder if they will keep in contact with eachother also. I feel for all three in their own way, but Michelle is so heartbreaking. I hope she is reunited with her son eventually. They seem to talk about her mom all the time but I never read who has her son.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:46 PM

570 posts, read 802,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'll be looking forward to the true crime book(s) that will emerge from this. And will each write a book or done jointly? And who knows what their memories will produce! If the pain was too great, their memories may be shut down already! No matter, these will be money makers for the curiosity seekers, and perhaps Hollywood!

Can't imagine any true normalcy ever returning to these women's lives, even with therapy!
How long do you think it will take Lifetime or some other cable channel to do a made-for-TV movie about this thing? Or for that matter, a "ripped from the headlines" episode of Law & Order: SVU.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:23 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,492,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Like OMG my father is also a Cancer, it must mean he has 3 girls kidnapped in his basement that he repeately rapes and forces them to have abortions.

Like totally not cool. I really need to call a 1-900 astrologist line right away.
I am not a follower of astrological signs, but if this is the way YOU think it works you have serious problems. What are you, fifteen years old and trying to appear adult and clever?

Old 05-12-2013, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
This one is awesome too if you haven't seen it - Charles Ramsey with Anderson Cooper
Thanks for posting this interview.

Well, if you believe what Ramsey says, the Hispanic guy ran to the door where the screaming girl was and just stood there and did nothing. Does that make sense?

I wish someone would ask Amanda what happened, who actually either kicked the door in or explained to her how to do it.

It doesn't matter at this point, but I'm curious.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Michelle Knight might not want anyone to see her. Apparently the slime ball beat her bad in the face and needs some type of reconstructive/plastic surgery.

What a horrible nightmare these three were living in with all the beatings and rapes.
Yes. I read that bones in her face were broken and reknit by themselves. So she needs more, probably, than tissue rearrangement.

Prior to this I heard that she had been raped with a resulting pregnancy and the child was taken away from her by social services. Maybe she was young and wanted the kid and her parents disagreed for understandable reasons? Then, she said she was angry with them because they stopped looking for her, but her mom said she plastered the neighborhood with her daughter's pictures and continued to look.

I also heard that Amanda's parents might adopt Michelle, but she's kind of old for that, no?

Years of good therapy might help her to sort everything out. There should probably also be therapy for the families. I would imagine it to be hard to deal with these women with such problems. How could Amanda ever allow her daughter out of the house alone?

So sad.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'll be looking forward to the true crime book(s) that will emerge from this. And will each write a book or done jointly? And who knows what their memories will produce! If the pain was too great, their memories may be shut down already! No matter, these will be money makers for the curiosity seekers, and perhaps Hollywood!

Can't imagine any true normalcy ever returning to these women's lives, even with therapy!
Most of us live our lives as though these creeps do not exist. These girls know otherwise. Their normal is not our normal. You cannot erase their experience, and I don't think you should. I guess each mind deals with it in it's own way and a psychologist will help insure those ways are not destructive, like hiding in a shell or being overly suspicious of men or overly protective of your kids.

The suggestion was made that they should attempt therapy together. That sounds like a good idea. They are probably closer to each other at this point than to their own families.

I sure hope they make money from this, books and movies. If any had a chance of getting a good education and career, look at all the time that's been lost. Look at the job market. What value would their experience of the last ten years have for an employer? It's hard to start anew when there are so many blocked opportunities. Maybe some school will give them free tuition at least?

Old 05-12-2013, 05:44 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,368,976 times
but most importantly: I hope they get choices, something they haven't had in so long

Old 05-12-2013, 08:45 AM

8,071 posts, read 5,401,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I am not a follower of astrological signs, but if this is the way YOU think it works you have serious problems. What are you, fifteen years old and trying to appear adult and clever?
No I'm a 30 something woman who thinks it's rather insulting that people are bringing such stupidity to such serious case. Keep that nonsense for a Cosmo magazine article. I'm sure it's far less dangerous and offensive to predict your next boyfriend than the next rapist or serial killer.

And I think most of us have more serious problems than not believing in a pseudoscience:

"Astrology consists of belief systems which hold that there is a relationship between astronomical phenomena and events in the human world. In the West, astrology most often consists of a system of horoscopes that claim to explain aspects of a person's personality and predict future events in their life based on the positions of the sun, moon, and other planetary objects at the time of their birth."

Old 05-12-2013, 09:07 AM

22,777 posts, read 16,854,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I urge you to finish swallowing anything you might be drinking or eating before you watch this video. Unless of course you have an old computer and don't care about what you spew on it ....

DEAD GIVEAWAY - Hero Charles Ramsey Songified! - YouTube
Schmoyoho brothers...they do some hilarious stuff. You should see what they did with Charlie Sheen back in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime