U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-13-2013, 01:06 PM
 
137 posts, read 128,177 times
Reputation: 95

Advertisements


Ariel Castro's brothers reveal they saw him at McDonald's with six-year-old daughter he fathered with 'kidnapped' Amanda Berry


The brothers of the Cleveland kidnapping suspect Ariel Castro spoke of how they had no idea why they were being arrested for keeping the girls in captivity for nearly a decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2013, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,142 posts, read 8,882,400 times
Reputation: 7732
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Is there anybody who is buying the story of the daughter? Not me!
Me, and probably 99% of the people who have heard of this story. The story of the family members is totally believable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,142 posts, read 8,882,400 times
Reputation: 7732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The very first time I heard that 911 call I was pissed. How DARE that dispatcher respond in that way, like Berry was an annoyance. Even Berry, you can hear, couldn't believe how this dispatcher was dismissing her. The girl has been gone for 10 years, and the dispatcher is trying to push her off the phone? WTF!?

Some have argued, "She was just doing her job!" Like hell, she should have stayed on the phone with Berry until the police arrived. I'm glad it's at least being reviewed.

Maybe they can use it in training in the future: "How NOT to act!"
If you listen to the police radio tapes, the police were already arriving on the scene when the call ended. Less then ten minutes after the girl first started her escape attempt, the police were loading all four girls in to ambulances. That included the time it took the neighbors to notice and rescue Amanda Burry, time for 911 calls, time for police to arrive, gain entry into the house, clear the house from bottom to top and evacuate the girls.

This should be police training in "How to do it RIGHT".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Somewhere
8,071 posts, read 5,395,340 times
Reputation: 5654
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
If you listen to the police radio tapes, the police were already arriving on the scene when the call ended. Less then ten minutes after the girl first started her escape attempt, the police were loading all four girls in to ambulances. That included the time it took the neighbors to notice and rescue Amanda Burry, time for 911 calls, time for police to arrive, gain entry into the house, clear the house from bottom to top and evacuate the girls.

This should be police training in "How to do it RIGHT".
They probably have a big police department. It's one of the reasons I will always live in a big city

In my city you call them and they arrive usually within 5-10 minutes. I did call once, my life was nowhere in danger I even got transfered to the nonemergecy line and they insisted l stayed on the line until the police arrived

Amanda's operator was very incompetant and insensitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,142 posts, read 8,882,400 times
Reputation: 7732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
They probably have a big police department. It's one of the reasons I will always live in a big city

In my city you call them and they arrive usually within 5-10 minutes. I did call once, my life was nowhere in danger I even got transfered to the nonemergecy line and they insisted l stayed on the line until the police arrived

Amanda's operator was very incompetant and insensitive.
If you believe that you can hire these people to sit there and answer these types of calls, eight hours a day, five days a week. Listening to peoples tragedies day after day and still expect them to have a lot of empathy for the callers, you will be disappointed every time. Because its not going to happen, ever.

Anyway, being sensitive is not their job. Their job is to answer the calls, find out what type of help the caller needs, and dispatch it as soon as possible. Then get on to the next call, so they can help the next person. If they do that, then they are not incompetent. Both of the operators in this case did that. Evident by how quickly help arrived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 06:14 PM
 
5,556 posts, read 5,069,850 times
Reputation: 3945
I hope this also brings about greater awareness of human trafficking, which is starting to explode in the US and will only get worse unless it is nipped in the bud. This story from Cleveland has brought out people in other areas who are relatives of lost young women, hoping for resolution in finding their lost loved ones. One father was on our local news, talking about his beautiful daughter who vanished from her apartment a few years ago and the case has gone cold. He believes she was trafficked and I agree with him. Anyone interested should watch the PBS documentary on the trafficking of young Russian women since the Soviet Union fell. Or research Salma Hayek's crusade to protect and bring justice to Mexican women along the border.

And this evening, here in the Tampa Bay area, they've uncovered two local prostitution rings where underage girls were being held captive. It's really interesting to me that this happens hard on the heels of the freeing of the Cleveland women. All of a sudden the police here seem to be cracking down and it's great to see.

And for that I honor Amanda, Gina and Michelle. This is a sign to me that their suffering was not in vain. It would seem they've brought freedom to others. Three wounded angels, bringing hope to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Out West
22,740 posts, read 16,830,942 times
Reputation: 26297
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
If you believe that you can hire these people to sit there and answer these types of calls, eight hours a day, five days a week. Listening to peoples tragedies day after day and still expect them to have a lot of empathy for the callers, you will be disappointed every time. Because its not going to happen, ever.

Anyway, being sensitive is not their job. Their job is to answer the calls, find out what type of help the caller needs, and dispatch it as soon as possible. Then get on to the next call, so they can help the next person. If they do that, then they are not incompetent. Both of the operators in this case did that. Evident by how quickly help arrived.
Then they don't need to be 911 dispatchers. Their job IS to answer phones but it's NOT to act like they are annoyed with the caller who is pleading with them to send police, who is obviously near hysterics, when you can HEAR a child in the background...you don't dismiss them like this operator did.

They are trained to stay on the phone with the people until the police arrive. And operators DO have empathy and sympathy despite your bitter thoughts. It does happen, ALL THE TIME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,142 posts, read 8,882,400 times
Reputation: 7732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Then they don't need to be 911 dispatchers.
911 dispatchers are one of the highest turn over occupations in the US. People burn out on that job fast. If they don't do it, nobody will do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 08:02 PM
 
Location: NW Philly Burbs
2,431 posts, read 4,616,604 times
Reputation: 3328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Amanda's operator was very incompetant and insensitive.
Insensitive? Maybe. Incompetent? No way. She got the job done! The police arrived right away.

If Amanda had been alone when she made the call, the operator might have stayed on the line with her. But she checked that Amanda was with a neighbor.

I'm also wondering how many bogus 911 calls they've gotten over the years about Amanda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 09:08 PM
 
18,852 posts, read 31,722,131 times
Reputation: 26118
I will admit to some days, not being perfect at my job, but even on my worst days, I would do better than this woman. That being said, she did her job, and the women were rescued. Some people love their work, others, just do their time.

What really needs investigation, is how many reports were of this man, and weird stuff going on, and the results of those investigations. That merits review.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top