Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2013, 07:26 AM

35 posts, read 71,785 times

Advertisements

hello I really need some help, I did something really dumb that I clicked on a link sent by a scammer, he hacked into my accountant's gmail and sent a message to my gmail to instruct us to use the google docs to view an important document, so I did click on the link and and logged in to the fake google document screen, I changed my password to my gmail account as soon as I realize it was a scam, but I did log in for 4- 5 hours before I changed my password. I do have SSN and other personal info in my account and in my account's gmail account which were both hacked, I was told to call the IRS and credit bureau to give them a possible future fraud alert, however, I do not know which credit bureau are the valid ones to contact as some of them are scams too. anyone has an experience in this area and what did you do if someone has stolen your SSN? IRS told me to fill out a form 14039 for a Identity Theft Affidavit to put together with my tax file, but I worry this will have side effect such as if I"m the one who files tax, there might be challenges to file tax myself due to the fraud alert being put into my SSN account. please help... thank you for your time.
by the way, here's how the fake google document login page looks like at this below link:
'Confidential Document' Google Docs Phishing Scam

should I also file a police report to prove that I am aware that my SSN info is stolen before the criminal uses my SSN to do something bad?

Last edited by maxonhs; 05-16-2013 at 07:35 AM..

Old 05-16-2013, 09:00 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,019 times
The legit credit bureaus are:

Experian
Trans Union
Equifax

Old 05-16-2013, 09:01 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxonhs View Post
hello I really need some help, I did something really dumb that I clicked on a link sent by a scammer, he hacked into my accountant's gmail and sent a message to my gmail to instruct us to use the google docs to view an important document, so I did click on the link and and logged in to the fake google document screen, I changed my password to my gmail account as soon as I realize it was a scam, but I did log in for 4- 5 hours before I changed my password. I do have SSN and other personal info in my account and in my account's gmail account which were both hacked, I was told to call the IRS and credit bureau to give them a possible future fraud alert, however, I do not know which credit bureau are the valid ones to contact as some of them are scams too. anyone has an experience in this area and what did you do if someone has stolen your SSN? IRS told me to fill out a form 14039 for a Identity Theft Affidavit to put together with my tax file, but I worry this will have side effect such as if I"m the one who files tax, there might be challenges to file tax myself due to the fraud alert being put into my SSN account. please help... thank you for your time.
by the way, here's how the fake google document login page looks like at this below link:
'Confidential Document' Google Docs Phishing Scam

should I also file a police report to prove that I am aware that my SSN info is stolen before the criminal uses my SSN to do something bad?
You should definitely file a police report. These scammers need to be stopped.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:30 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
The legit credit bureaus are:

Experian
Trans Union
Equifax

You can contact each one and pay to have a credit freeze put on them if you want, but at least do an alert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime