Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 05:26 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times

Advertisements

This just happened a day or two ago.

Did the In Cold Blood Killers Murder a Second Family? - YouTube

'In Cold Blood' Killers Bodies Exhumed in Second Murder Investigation - YouTube

I never heard they were in Florida always believing they left Kansas after the murders heading straight for Mexico.

But then again Capote's book was a "true novel" which I guess means based on a real case with lots of made up stuff.

Understand I am not knocking Capote's "In Cold Blood" was one of the best books ever written in my opinion.

Oh, this is the most interesting news clip of the last couple days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-am3DBGNfIo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 06:06 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Wow!!!! This is chilling. I wonder if anything will come of it?

Old 12-20-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Wow!!!! This is chilling. I wonder if anything will come of it?
No kidding.

Just the other day I was going to mention Perry Smith in this thread Which killers do you feel a bit of sympathy for? but decided against it. I am happy I didn't because if Smith's DNA shows up after 50 years I'd never be able to live that one down.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:21 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,327,366 times
one of my favourite books too...scary, freaky stuff

Old 12-21-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
one of my favourite books too...scary, freaky stuff
Netflix is showing Capote which is a 2005 biographical film about Truman Capote, following the events during the writing of Capote's non-fiction book In Cold Blood.

Catherine Keener did an excellent job as Capote's friend Nelle Harper Lee

Quote:
The last appeal is rejected, and Perry and Dick are hanged, Perry's hanging being explicitly shown. Truman talks to Harper Lee about the horrifying experience and laments that he could not have done anything to stop it. She replies, "Maybe not; the fact is you didn't want to." This is the last line of the film. The next and last scene shows Truman looking at photos and some of the writings and drawings that Perry gave him.
The problem with Capote's work is it's hard to tell where reality ends and fiction begins. I always thought the two killers left Kansas heading to Mexico where they spent most of December until returning to Las Vegas where they were captured. Were they ever really in Mexico?

Old 12-21-2012, 11:11 AM

I think they were in Mexico, but the details of when and for how long didn't make it into the book. And even Capote knew mainly what two criminals told him, so he was not in the best position to know.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I think they were in Mexico, but the details of when and for how long didn't make it into the book. And even Capote knew mainly what two criminals told him, so he was not in the best position to know.
Found this site called SparkNotes

Old 12-21-2012, 09:59 PM

260 posts, read 908,994 times
This link is for the local Sarasota paper with a few stories if anyone is interested.
http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pb...lker%20murders

Old 12-22-2012, 01:23 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
This just happened a day or two ago.

Did the In Cold Blood Killers Murder a Second Family? - YouTube

'In Cold Blood' Killers Bodies Exhumed in Second Murder Investigation - YouTube

I never heard they were in Florida always believing they left Kansas after the murders heading straight for Mexico.

But then again Capote's book was a "true novel" which I guess means based on a real case with lots of made up stuff.

Understand I am not knocking Capote's "In Cold Blood" was one of the best books ever written in my opinion.

Oh, this is the most interesting news clip of the last couple days.

Bodies of 'Cold Blood' killers exhumed in Kansas _ Watch the video - YouTube

What an interesting post! And thank you for the links.

"In Cold Blood" is an amazing book and the first adult book I ever read. I have the first edition and I am a true Capote fan.

Capote's book however, can not be read as True Crime. I love True Crime, but this groundbreaking book is not strictly True Crime.

Capote added conjecture and omniscient back story. to his masterpiece. He was not their. He could not have possibly known what was thought or said.

In his own words, it was the first example of what he called " a new style of reportage".

Today it is refereed to as Creative Non Fiction.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:42 PM

Capote considered In Cold Blood to be an totally new genre. He called it a 'nonfiction novel.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime