Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2013, 11:07 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times

Advertisements

Ninety-five percent of the people in the program are criminals and there have been over 8000 witnesses and over 9000 family members in the program, over time.

The normal recidivism of criminals is 41%, but in the witness protection program, where they are given basic needs and sometimes a way to support themselves, only 17% commit further crimes.

I wonder if these people AND their immediate families are supported all their lives? What kind of job retraining are they given? What determines who is offered the retraining? Wasn't some mafia kingpin who turned retrained as a hair stylist in Vegas - and was later picked up for selling drugs? Do they try to match the job to the person? Are the people given a choice of professions? Do any get a college degree in the system?

United States Federal Witness Protection Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The first breach in the history of the program occurred in 2009. Former decorated federal law enforcement officer John Thomas Ambrose was convicted of leaking information about a federal witness in the Witness Protection Program, Chicago Outfit hitman Nicholas Calabrese, to other members of Chicago organized crime.

I guess we have all heard stories about how people in the program thought it was too restrictive or did not meet their needs and left the program. I don't know how many people left the program and how many of those died natural deaths.

It's an interesting topic. You wonder, if you were a witness to some organized crime event and was willing to testify and were offered this program, what is life like in it?

Chipping a human body is not a new technology. I wonder if a person can be chipped without their knowing it? I would imagine they could be drugged in their sleep and would never know. Years back there were a lot of key US government and corporate personnel kidnapped in other countries and either held for ransom or killed. That rarely happens any more because (I am assuming) people get chipped which leads the police right to them.

Last edited by goldengrain; 06-01-2013 at 11:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 11:20 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
U.S. Marshals Service, Witness Security Program

The Witness Protection Program also tracks terrorism, actual witnesses or those formerly suspected of terrorism.

There's a witness protection security fact sheet at the bottom of the page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime