U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 08:01 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,933,225 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how much of incident leading to the beating was witnessed by the women holding the door?

The fired Police Chief mentioned in the link posted by the OP was Rodney Pearson.

Jasper gained notoriety in 1998 after the brutal murder of James Byrd. Byrd's arm and head were severed after being dragged behind a pickup truck by Shawn Berry, Lawrence Russell Brewer and John King. The murder made national headlines and put a spotlight on the town's long history of racial divisions. Byrd's body was found by Rodney Pearson, Jasper's first black highway patrolman, who went on to become its first black police chief. Pearson was summarily fired after only 16 months on the job.
Bernsen, who also represents Pearson in a suit alleging the firing was racially motivated, told HuffPost that "Byrd's story has now come full circle."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 08:43 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,219,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I am sure abuses happen everywhere but these little Eastern Texas towns are still stuck in the 1800's if not in the the Middle Ages.
Thanks for your useless comments but even the 1800s and Middle Ages are better than the nasty cockroach inter city infestations you have to deal with. Maybe you should fix your own city first?

Quote:
If Zimmerman is found not guilty, there will be riots here in Miami. This is one court case I will be watching for my own safety.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:48 PM

10,586 posts, read 10,789,504 times
The moment he walked up and shut the phone down showed contempt and an entitlement to abuse of power...Why is it they don't hire cops with high IQs anymore?

Old 06-05-2013, 09:00 PM

8,071 posts, read 5,406,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Thanks for your useless comments but even the 1800s and Middle Ages are better than the nasty cockroach inter city infestations you have to deal with. Maybe you should fix your own city first?
Oh no the infestation is in Semilone county, 220 miles from Miami, we are ok here. a riot or once every 20 or 30 years is hardly "an infestation"

Now a city like Jasper, where the majority of the residents are black and still they don't allow them to be part of their government sounds like a roach infestation to me.

More on this little lovely town:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/22/us...anted=all&_r=0
Three weeks after Rodney Pearson became Jasper County’s first black state highway patrolman, he responded to a call from the Jasper Country Club. As he pulled up to the clubhouse, his partner told him to wait.

“ ‘You can’t go in here,’ ” Mr. Pearson said his partner told him. “ ‘Just sit in the car.’ ”

Only whites were allowed inside. It was 1992.

Last week, after 16 months in office, Mr. Pearson was fired by a newly elected City Council that said he had never been qualified for the job. His dismissal has touched off a feud that has dredged up bitter memories of the town’s not-so-distant past. Mr. Pearson is also connected to that chapter in Jasper’s history.

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 06-05-2013 at 09:17 PM..

Old 06-05-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Oh no the infestation is in Semilone county, 220 miles from Miami, we are ok here. Thanks for your concern.
How far are those "little Eastern Texas towns" from you?

Old 06-05-2013, 09:09 PM

BTW - I am not concerned for you at all, it was you who was concerned (see the quote) .... nice liberal bait and switch there loser.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:11 PM

10,586 posts, read 10,789,504 times
Big fat dumb white cops hate big fat black woman...a marriage made in heaven.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Oh no the infestation is in Semilone county, 220 miles from Miami, we are ok here. a riot or once every 20 or 30 years is hardly "an infestation"

Now a city like Jasper, where the majority of the residents are black and still they don't allow them to be part of their government sounds like a roach infestation to me.

More on this little lovely town:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/22/us...anted=all&_r=0
Three weeks after Rodney Pearson became Jasper County’s first black state highway patrolman, he responded to a call from the Jasper Country Club. As he pulled up to the clubhouse, his partner told him to wait.

“ ‘You can’t go in here,’ ” Mr. Pearson said his partner told him. “ ‘Just sit in the car.’ ”

Only whites were allowed inside. It was 1992.

Despite that jarring first impression, Mr. Pearson said there was not a pattern of racism in the town where he would raise his children. That changed nearly two decades later, he said, when he became the first black police chief in the city of Jasper.

Last week, after 16 months in office, Mr. Pearson was fired by a newly elected City Council that said he had never been qualified for the job. His dismissal has touched off a feud that has dredged up bitter memories of the town’s not-so-distant past. Mr. Pearson is also connected to that chapter in Jasper’s history.
Another bait and switch, edit your post after I've quoted you ......

Whatever, if anything at all is wrong with Jasper does not mean my "little East Texas town" is just as bad. If it does where is the line drawn? How come it does not extend all the way to your town/city? The fact is I have already quoted were you are scared for your own safety yet you continue to bash cities/towns how far from you?

I can not defend anything from Jasper, but I will take the 1800s and Middle Ages over larger cities, where a week is worse than a year in Jasper any day.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:46 PM

8,071 posts, read 5,406,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Another bait and switch, edit your post after I've quoted you ......

Whatever, if anything at all is wrong with Jasper does not mean my "little East Texas town" is just as bad. If it does where is the line drawn? How come it does not extend all the way to your town/city? The fact is I have already quoted were you are scared for your own safety yet you continue to bash cities/towns how far from you?

I can not defend anything from Jasper, but I will take the 1800s and Middle Ages over larger cities, where a week is worse than a year in Jasper any day.
I didn't say that was YOUR town. I don't know and don't care where you live. You can live wherever you want No one is telling you can't live there. I am entitled to feel unsafe wherever or whenever I want. Besides it is more about the racist attitude these people have on a daily basis.

Again you would think they would treat blacks with more dignity after the horrible James Byrd incident, but obviously not even video cameras stop them because they are used to getting away with their racist attitudes and behaviors.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:43 AM

2,807 posts, read 2,306,809 times
Most of you are purely sheep and have no idea what it is or how it is to police a city of dirt bags and washers... you are one sided and spout what everyone does. Most of you have no idea what it is to be confronted by true crime on a regular basis while being a target.

Rather than discussing the suspect's actions of resistance, all you comment on is how aggressive the police were and how they should be jailed.

No one takes a moment to discuss the amount of times the woman is given instructions and the amount of times shes is uncooperative. If you are going to discuss a matter, point out all sides and not just jump on the wagon. Resistance, excessive use of force is the total picture. I challenge you to discuss the total picture. You won't cause you are sheep and only disscuss what others have told you to or what you have seen others write about.

Think for yourselves and make your own judgement. Do a couple of ride alongs in the meanest and baddest part of your city and understand what law enforcement does...

Why must you resist while in custody? Why must it take a person to be told several times while in the presence of authorities? I challenge you to discuss those questions- you will not, you will go over them just like you overlooked the incident... Stop being sheep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or