Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2013, 07:48 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
Someone that smokes MJ is likely to be more interested in snacks than a confrontation. Zimmy was on the drug of self importance, a pompous failed "cop".

How could zimmy resist a chance to prove himself that night? A life was lost and another is ruined because someone couldn't resist trying to catching a "f**king punk". Go Ahead...make my day.
You have no idea what someone high is more likely to do; how much experience you have around drug users?

A violent person is still going to be violent while high on marijuana, it is not like it is some magical taming drug the media makes it out to be.

Do you have any evidence that Zimmerman is guilty of murder 2? If so, please present this to the state as they do not have it.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:54 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You have no idea what someone high is more likely to do; how much experience you have around drug users?

A violent person is still going to be violent while high on marijuana, it is not like it is some magical taming drug the media makes it out to be.

Do you have any evidence that Zimmerman is guilty of murder 2? If so, please present this to the state as they do not have it.
I'm from a country where marijuana is legalized and not everybody will react the same on it and many people describe it for health or pain issues but most users are not in pain but use it because they like it for some reason.

A$$ holes won't become lame duck and neither the other way around...the pics we have seen of TM but that won't be shown in court show a different TM and he might had his angel side and a wonderful son which every parent wants their kids to be but his mom send him away...not because he was that kind of angel!

Again it is a very sad thing that happened and every person with common sense would have liked a different outcome so we wouldn't have a thread and a trial and both would be alive and as a radio host stated " it would have been great to have seen Tm turn into a productive person in society and better his life and get an education or job"

Old 07-08-2013, 08:34 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
Seems like he pulled the trigger and someone died. Did not God say "thou shalt not Kill"? Perhaps if Zimmy was praying to Jesus instead of aiming at Martin there would have been a better outcome.
Self defense, do you know what is?

Zimmerman claimed justifiable homicide as he killed someone is self defense. The state has to disprove this; where is the evidence? The burden is on the state to prove Zimmerman guilty.

You Bible quote is not the law, good thing because thousands of military personnel, cops, and civilians would be in prison for killing people. Justified homicide is legal, self defense is legal; this is an issue of did Zimmerman break the law, not what he "should" have done.

Now, both parties were not doing anything illegal up to the point of a physical confrontation; do you have any evidence Zimmerman started the physical confrontation?

Old 07-08-2013, 08:42 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I recently had an emergency, had to call and give some critical medical information, my mind blanked out, I could not remember anything.

This recent experience clarified to me, how you could blank out on details like names of streets when under stress. I think shooting someone qualifies as major stress.

If someone started punching me, I would shoot them if I had a gun.

No witnesses to actual event, I don't see how a jury can get to guilty here.
He was looking for the street address before he shot him. Why was he under stress. He could have waited for the cops to do their job instead of him trying to do their job.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:57 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,576,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Should've, could've, would've. They both should be dead for making stupid decisions, right?

TM did wrong by hitting GZ but TM not going home is understandable because he didn't know what GZ's intentions were. GZ was acting like a serial killer, not like "one of the good guys". GZ was playing a tough guy also by not identifying himself to TM. GZ could have done that easily from his truck but my guess is GZ is so paranoic about those "who always get away" that he was too scared to even talk to anybody that looked like them.

The first thing an undercover cop does is identify himself when they approach people. Cops know better because most people(criminal or not) get scared when they are followed by unidentified strangers, especially if they have advantages(like being in a car) if you get kidnapped in a car your survival chances are almost non existent.

GZ will be acquitted for sure but be won't be living a free life if he doesn't stop acting so impulsively in the future.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:02 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009
Zimmerman yelled for help, no one came, so he did what he had to do. End of story.
So why would he quit yelling for help after the gun fired?
Why would Zimmerman quit yelling? Because he was no longer under attack.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
There are some times when we do need leadership. Especially if a case is being handled with prejudice. But; that was not the case with GZ. Even without our leader's comments; our press had already made up it's mind on who was at fault.
Regarding comments by leaders (including the president), I tend to think it would be better if their usual practice were to refrain from comment about such incidents. Anyone here besides me old enough to remember "MANSON GUILTY, NIXON DECLARES"? Not sure I'm recalling correctly, but I think that one resulted in a mistrial.

The reality is that the opinions expressed by government officials, especially the president, can significantly influence public opinion. Of course they're going to be tempted to comment for political reasons, but the more noble move would be to keep quiet. But then, perhaps I'm expecting too much when I talk about noble motives as an influence on political leaders.

Last edited by ogre; 07-08-2013 at 11:33 PM..

Old 07-08-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
GZ will be acquitted for sure but be won't be living a free life if he doesn't stop acting so impulsively in the future.
He won't be acquitted for sure, because you never know what a jury will do. If he is acquitted, he won't be living a free life even if he does not act impulsively in the future. Possibly for the rest of his life, but for at least a long time into the future, he'll have to look over his shoulder everywhere he goes, wondering whether someone intends to pop him. For a long time he'll face people's negative reactions when they meet him. Finding employment is likely to be difficult. He will feel the effects of this well into the future.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
But, not a logic based on actual facts, just utterances from George's mouth, a man who has every incentive to lie and has lied in the past.
There is more evidence on Zimmerman's side than just "utterances from George's mouth." Now that we're well into the trial, there is witness testimony supporting Zimmerman's claim that Martin was on top of him, pummeling him in the face and about the head. There is other evidence as well, though said witness testimony comes to mind immediately.

The problem with trying to convict Zimmerman, from a purely legal perspective, is that even if the only evidence favoring the defense actually were "utterances from George's mouth," there is even less than that on the prosecution side. And the burden of proof is on the prosecution.

Last edited by ogre; 07-08-2013 at 11:35 PM..

Old 07-08-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I think a 17 yr old has the right to walk as fast or as slowly back to where he lives as he wishes...he has the right to stop,look around and talk on his cell phone as he is doing so!
In my law enforcement days, if I had seen someone showing the behavior Zimmerman described in his phone call to police, let's just say that it would have caught my attention. I realize that people will be quick with the thought that I had a legal authority (and training) that Zimmerman lacked.

The problem, though, is that the key legal questions--the crucial questions in determining whether Zimmerman committed a crime--lie in what happened when the two came face to face. When it comes to getting a satisfactory answer for the public, that's unfortunate, because that most crucial stage of the incident is the stage about which the least is known. From a purely legal perspective, though, this simplifies things, because the dearth of information about the most crucial stage of the incident is what makes it pretty much impossible to prove anything against Zimmerman beyond a reasonable doubt.

No need to keep harping on Zimmerman's following Martin, because the reality is that he has a legal right to follow along and keep someone in sight so he can tell police, during his phone call to them, where to find this person when they arrive on the scene. Now, if Zimmerman had walked up to Martin and attempted to detain him, then Zimmerman would have moved into territory where a non-LEO would have no authority. But, even though it's within the realm of possibility that Zimmerman might have done that, you'll never prove it with the available evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Trayvon did not deserve the hand GZ dealt him...we are judging Trayvon through a mature lens...he was only 17...17yr olds literally do not have the part of their brain that acurately determines risk or chance taking...of course Trayvon made a bad split second decision...but his age has to be taken into consideration here!!! GZ is a grown man...and he must be held to a higher standard!!!
This idea becomes a problem once Zimmerman is on the ground with Martin on top of him, pounding his face and head. Understanding the brain's development at various ages does not mean that Zimmerman should have been obligated to just lie there, with no idea how long the beating might have continued, and risk being throttled into a coma, or worse.

Last edited by ogre; 07-08-2013 at 11:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime