Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 07:21 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times

Advertisements

What opposite?

Your link basically presumes the following points:

- That spirituality is inherently good
- there is a soul
- That spirituality is some unifying force

See, it's just the ivory tower analogy again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 07:24 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Can you provide evidence to refute my points?

Psychiatrists commonly believe non-religious beliefs are a symptom of "mental illness', that laziness is bad, and that not being conservative and closed-minded is bad too.
No because you haven't made any. Defend your position intelligently rather than making broad assertions and we'll talk. Also, you obviously have a story and a reason for believing as you do, so please speak to that, because there's not a lot I can do with what you've said so far. P's have opinions like everyone else, and so far what you've told me have been maybe opinions that some P's hold.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:28 AM

I am saying it is fact, that psychiatry seeks to impose its own worldview and proclaim it is an illness.

I think the whole "science" is a fraud, since it deals with wholly subjective terminology.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:33 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Can you provide evidence to refute my points?

Psychiatrists commonly believe non-religious beliefs are a symptom of "mental illness', that laziness is bad, and that not being conservative and closed-minded is bad too.
Here's what it says which negates your post.......

[SIZE=4][SIZE=4]
[LEFT]Some of you may know that religion played an important part in the first
form of psychiatric care in the US and in Western Europe, the teachings
of Freud and others concerning the neurotic influences of religion have
had an enormous impact on the field, nullifying the originally favourable
views toward religion held by nineteenth century psychiatrists. (Koenig[/LEFT]
2001).
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 03-05-2010, 07:42 AM

it doesn't negate anything. The fact is psychiatry is only supposed to reflect the personal beliefs of psychiatrists.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:45 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Antisocial Personality Disorder Overview (Written by Derek Wood, RN, BSN, PhD Candidate)

Antisocial Personality Disorder results in what is commonly known as a Sociopath. The criteria for this disorder require an ongoing disregard for the rights of others, since the age of 15 years. Some examples of this disregard are reckless disregard for the safety of themselves or others, failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors, deceitfulness such as repeated lying or deceit for personal profit or pleasure, and lack of remorse for actions that hurt other people in any way. Additionally, they must have evidenced a Conduct Disorder before the age of 15 years, and must be at least 18 years old to receive this diagnosis.

People with this disorder appear to be charming at times, and make relationships, but to them, these are relationships in name only. They are ended whenever necessary or when it suits them, and the relationships are without depth or meaning, including marriages. They seem to have an innate ability to find the weakness in people, and are ready to use these weaknesses to their own ends through deceit, manipulation, or intimidation, and gain pleasure from doing so.

They appear to be incapable of any true emotions, from love to shame to guilt. They are quick to anger, but just as quick to let it go, without holding grudges. No matter what emotion they state they have, it has no bearing on their future actions or attitudes.

They rarely are able to have jobs that last for any length of time, as they become easily bored, instead needing constant change. They live for the moment, forgetting the past, and not planning the future, not thinking ahead what consequences their actions will have. They want immediate rewards and gratification. There currently is no form of psychotherapy that works with those with antisocial personality disorder, as those with this disorder have no desire to change themselves, which is a prerequisite. No medication is available either. The only treatment is the prevention of the disorder in the early stages, when a child first begins to show the symptoms of conduct disorder.[/quote]

I think alot of this stems from a lack of stability in their youth years.

There are parts of the brain that develop at certain stages of life. A baby between birth (even before) to five years of age are crucial to have affection and connection.

So if there is a part of their life that is missing a certain development then it is cold and unresponsive. (non-working)

When you look at all the divorces in the world today...there are alot of children going through stress of a broken family. If you feel it won't affect them you're wrong. A divorce will change who they are.

If abused they will harden up the parts that should be loving and caring.

The world has scared alot of people and underdeveloped many of our young people today.

Please hug your children and tell them you love them. Hold them and tell them how important they are and what they mean to you. Tell them they are special and you love (........) about them. Meet them at the door when they get home from school and tell them you missed them.

Do it.

It will change our world in the future.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:46 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
it doesn't negate anything. The fact is psychiatry is only supposed to reflect the personal beliefs of psychiatrists.

I don't have time to continue to argue your point which you've twisted with your personal meanings
Here's another..........

The concept of acceptance in psychiatric rehabilitation must be extended[/SIZE][/LEFT]
[to mean accepting what is important to the participants, which mayinclude spirituality.” (Wong-McDonald 2007)[

Old 03-05-2010, 08:26 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I don't have time to continue to argue your point which you've twisted with your personal meanings
Here's another..........

The concept of acceptance in psychiatric rehabilitation must be extended[/SIZE][/LEFT]
[to mean accepting what is important to the participants, which mayinclude spirituality.” (Wong-McDonald 2007)[
No, you just can't argue with someone who sounds like a broken record. Samston, I asked you to back up what you said with some evidence for your assertion, but you just repeated what you've been saying all along. Not to be insulting, Samston, but how old are you? If you're at least in high school you should know how to look up your sources. If you have a personal story to illustrate why you feel the way you do, then we'd like to hear it. But to repeat the same "fact" over and over is not very productive.

Funyman, I like what you said there about hugging your children--they can sustain some damage in their early life if they have at least one person who loves them, cherishes them, and believes in them. When I had my DD's I knew from the beginning that I was going to make mistakes, and I knew that the only way to smooth over those mistakes would be to love them all the time and never let them doubt it, and now we enjoy a lovely relationship (most of the time!) even though they're teenagers.

I read a very interesting book recently called The Boy Who was Raised as a Dog. It was written by a psychiatrist who specializes in the care of traumatized children and there was a story in there about a young man who was a psychopathic killer and when the P went in to get the story of the young man from his parents, the only thing he could find that was odd in the young man's upbringing was that as an infant, he was left alone for hours and hours at a time. His mother couldn't stand being cooped up in a small apt all day with a howling baby, so she took his older brother and they went out all day and left the baby there. Of course humans have known all along that babies need cuddling and someone there to respond to their cries, but we didn't really know what would come of it if there wasn't someone there.

Another story though was about a young man who'd also been left alone for long periods of time as a baby, and he developed more autism-like symptoms, so it's impossible to predict what exactly will happen since genetics plays a large part also, and the age of the baby, and how many months this went on for. (Disclaimer to parents of children with autism: the P was not suggesting that autism is caused by parents who leave their children alone, and didn't suggest that sociopathy is caused by the same--he was saying that leaving your children alone can cause some very sick behaviors later in life that may seem to have no relation to what went on. Autism at least is too complex to pin it on any one cause, and most kids, autistic or not, have loving parents who want the best for them.)

Old 03-05-2010, 10:18 AM

I have had countless psychiatrists tell me that:

- Going out on weekends is bad
- Not caring about pop culture is bad (stuff like American Idol)
- Not caring about fashion is bad
- Not going to church is bad
- Having non-conventional political views, like Green politics or libertarian, is bad
- Eating fried foods is bad

I know, to many here, i sound like quite an angry person, and yes it makes me look bad, I concede. But I am so partly due to reasons like the above. I guess i should stop moping now.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:25 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
I have had countless psychiatrists tell me that:

- Going out on weekends is bad
- Not caring about pop culture is bad (stuff like American Idol)
- Not caring about fashion is bad
- Not going to church is bad
- Having non-conventional political views, like Green politics or libertarian, is bad
- Eating fried foods is bad

I know, to many here, i sound like quite an angry person, and yes it makes me look bad, I concede. But I am so partly due to reasons like the above. I guess i should stop moping now.
Sorry, Samston, you were the guy who came on here claiming that everyone made fun of you when you left the house, literally. I am not buying that "countless psychiatrists" have told you these things just on the absurdity of the statements alone. Add to that the paranoid-driven and completely baseless assertions you make here, and it is even less credible.

How many is "countless", by the way? For someone who thinks so little of Psychiatry, how would you see so many of these professionals that you would lose count?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime