Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 01:40 PM

4,151 posts, read 4,170,113 times

Advertisements

An tax accountant friend of mine told me if a divorced couples continue lived in the same home is a crime: it is both tax evasion and criminal. They must have separate mailing address.

I simply don't get how is this a crime? If they cannot afford to have 2 separate household, or they in it for the children, how is this a crime? How is a divorced couple living together different than having a roommate? I am just confused.

Can someone with this type of experiences or in the legal field chip in?

Old 11-13-2013, 01:45 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
I guess if they are claiming "married but filing separately" as their tax status, it would be a crime. Other than that, I don't see how it could be.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:08 PM

44,346 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
An tax accountant friend of mine told me if a divorced couples continue lived in the same home is a crime: it is both tax evasion and criminal. They must have separate mailing address.

I simply don't get how is this a crime? If they cannot afford to have 2 separate household, or they in it for the children, how is this a crime? How is a divorced couple living together different than having a roommate? I am just confused.

Can someone with this type of experiences or in the legal field chip in?
I've been a paralegal for more than 25 years. Although I don't specialize in family law, I've never heard of such a thing, OP. I've also known two couples who lived together for years after their divorces were finalized, for the sake of the children and for financial reasons. I know that one of the couple simply filed their taxes as divorced singles. I don't know how the other couple handled their taxes, but they certainly weren't secretive about their cohabitation.

Laws vary quite a bit from state to state, so you should check with an attorney from your own state. If you can't afford an attorney, contact your local legal aid society or a law school in your state and they should be able to answer your question free of charge.

I suspect the IRS couldn't care less where you live, as along as you pay your taxes!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:49 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
No it is not a crime. I know of a divorced couple who did this for several reasons. It gave the ex wife an opportunity to go back to college to get a degree so she would be able to support herself and no alimony would be asked once she was able to support herself. They shared a very large house and converted the upstairs attic into a separate apartment in which the ex husband had complete privacy but also used the entire main floor whenever he wanted as the common area. This saved them both separate living quarters. The kids had the benefit of having both parents around.

They dated other people but respect one another's privacy. No hanky-panky on the premises with dates for the sake of the kids and out of respect for each other.

Legal issues like taxes and things like that were entirely separate. They weren't trying to cheat Uncle Sam. There was nothing illegal about what they were doing. It was all agreed upon in the divorce settlement that he would pay her college tuition and support until she graduated and got work and then she would move out and support herself which is just what happened. The kids were young teens by then and understood the situation. She did not move far from the house where the son chose to live with the dad. The daughter chose to live with her. They were able to stay in the same school.

Nothing illegal there. The arrangement was an unusual one but it worked just fine for them.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:16 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Not True Crime. Thread Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime