U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 03:09 AM

28,219 posts, read 47,632,920 times

Advertisements

Kevin Lewis Crouch walked into a tow lot in Northeast Washington on Tuesday afternoon and asked about a green car. But D.C. police said the 22-year-old man quickly pulled a gun on the tow truck driver who was trying to help him and demanded money.

Tow truck driver charged with murder after police say he ran down man who robbed him - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 05:19 AM

14,428 posts, read 11,737,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Kevin Lewis Crouch walked into a tow lot in Northeast Washington on Tuesday afternoon and asked about a green car. But D.C. police said the 22-year-old man quickly pulled a gun on the tow truck driver who was trying to help him and demanded money.

Tow truck driver charged with murder after police say he ran down man who robbed him - The Washington Post
My feeling is that a conviction could be difficult. While the gun turned out to be just a pellet gun; is there a chance that the tow truck driver was not aware? Even if he did know that it was a pellet gun; some people die each year from pellet and BB guns. I would think that a smart lawyer would argue that the driver used his weapon (the tow truck) in self defense. Could he not argue that he was afraid that the robber would shoot after he grabbed his wallet? Regardless; the tow truck driver did not start this chain of events and there was a witness to back up his account. His lawyer might even claim that the driver was stunned by the physical assault and was not thinking clearly.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:57 PM

42 posts, read 53,987 times
You can't kill people for robbing you,especially if they are no longer threatening you.
While that might disappoint the more psychotic among us, that is the law.

Had he stated that he "accidentally" struck the man while fleeing from the crime scene, he might have gotten off. However, this does not seem to have been what he said.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:51 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,736,812 times
Too bad I don't live in DC.

If I was on the jury he would not get convicted !

Old 01-07-2014, 05:22 AM

14,428 posts, read 11,737,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermix View Post
You can't kill people for robbing you,especially if they are no longer threatening you.
While that might disappoint the more psychotic among us, that is the law.

Had he stated that he "accidentally" struck the man while fleeing from the crime scene, he might have gotten off. However, this does not seem to have been what he said.
The robber still had his weapon when hit by the tow truck. A good lawyer could argue that the driver was still threatened. I also think that you could argue that, after getting hit in the head a couple times, that you (the driver) was not thinking straight.

The tow truck driver did not instigate this death - the robber started the chain of events that lead to his untimely death.

It will be and interesting case to follow. My feeling is that it could go either way.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:41 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,226,877 times
Worst case of suicide I've ever seen you honor....the man threw himself under my wheels....twice.....

Or....

Oh my God! Is the truck okay???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or