Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 10:59 PM

160 posts, read 267,181 times

Advertisements

I thought it was worth bringing this case back up in discussion. Here is a profile pulled from another article:

To their friends and families, they were just "ordinary guys" going about their daily lives. Nobody suspected they could be serial killers.
When each killer's profile is examined, there are many similarities across their lives. In brief, here are my original findings:
  • All five serial killers had unhappy or dysfunctional childhoods, were loners or poor communicators.
  • All five men left school having achieved poor academic results and worked in non-professional, low-skilled employment throughout their lives. Three of the five men changed jobs frequently.
  • Four of the five had been married. Pickton was the exception. Three of the five men had divorced twice.
  • The age of the men at the time of their murderous campaigns ranged from early 30s to mid 50s.
  • All five men had either mental disorders or suffered from serious addictions.
  • Three of the five had served in either the army (one) or navy (two).
  • Also, three of the five had taken "trophies" from their victims.
  • Two of the men said they "hated" prostitutes and two others claimed they had been "swindled" out of money while frequenting them.
  • All five men had already come to the attention of police for crimes unrelated to murder.
  • According to the media, the public and even the police themselves, four of the five police investigations were deemed to be badly "mishandled".
They believe all the women and the man dressed in women's clothing had worked as prostitutes and that the baby belonged to one of the women. Forensic testing of the victims' remains has revealed that some of the murders may have taken place as far back as 1996.
  • Using the results from the comparisons of the 5 serial killers above and recent police and newspaper reports concerning the Long Island serial killer, it is possible to create a detailed profile of the individual who committed the murders:
  • He is white, working class, and employed in a low-skilled/ manual job.
    He is aged between early 30's and late 40's and is of average or below average intelligence.
  • He has used prostitutes from an early age (late teens).
  • He was married at least once but is now separated or divorced.
  • He was living alone at the time of the murders, most likely in the Long Island agricultural district where he had access to the sacks described in police reports.
  • He has changed jobs frequently in the last decade.
  • He suffers from some form of addiction or mental disorder and is likely to have spent time in a rehabilitation or mental facility.
  • He may have spent time in military service in his late teens / early 20's.
  • He is already known to the police for crimes unrelated to murder though his military record may have helped to get any charges against him dropped or buried.
  • He may have applied for employment within the police service - as a manual worker or as a services driver - but was rejected because of the above charges on his record.
  • The killer drove a van which allowed unencumbered sexual activity at the back. He used this vehicle for his low-skilled employment and to transport and dispose of the victims' bodies.
  • The van had a US motif or logo which is "trusted" by the public and would not have aroused suspicion at any hour of day or night.
  • He was interviewed by police in the Long Island investigation but was viewed as too "inconsequential" to be a killer.
  • He is no longer living / working in the Long Island district and has since moved to central New York or another US State. was captured, tried and jailed within a relatively short time frame.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:27 PM

384 posts, read 512,462 times
Very interesting profile. I grew up in Long Island but was never really interested in this case until they found skeletal remains on the North Shore in Lattingtown near where I grew up. They're still not sure whether that case is related to the Gilgo case. Last I heard, it was still cold.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:16 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
OK, let's back up a minute. What five serial killers are you posting about at the top of the discussion? Are these suspects for Gilgo Beach or are they other Long Island SKs?

Old 03-27-2014, 06:06 PM

150 posts, read 382,187 times
Sounds like this guy.

Joel Rifkin ; The Long Island Killer (Documentary) - YouTube

Old 03-27-2014, 08:12 PM

160 posts, read 267,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
OK, let's back up a minute. What five serial killers are you posting about at the top of the discussion? Are these suspects for Gilgo Beach or are they other Long Island SKs?

The first list is what all five have in common in a profile. The second is the Gilgo killer. I think he is is still on long island and maybe distracted by moving to a different town and his money dried up. He is walking among us acting like a humble ordinary guy down on his luck. The one thing all socio paths have in common is the poor me pity party because that's how they lower peoples defenses and can exploit them and get people to give them money, etc.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:12 PM

The last couple items on that second list suggest they have a specific person in mind. Do they?

Old 04-10-2014, 02:55 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
Here is my take on the Gilgo Murders (and I've said this from the very start): These murders were committed by someone who either IS a police officer or is somehow connected to law enforcement. I don't know why, but I've had this feeling from the beginning.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Here is my take on the Gilgo Murders (and I've said this from the very start): These murders were committed by someone who either IS a police officer or is somehow connected to law enforcement. I don't know why, but I've had this feeling from the beginning.
But it sounds to me -- having just read Kolker's book on the victims -- that it's someone who knows that area well and has access to Craigslist. The first item narrows it down a lot -- the second opens up the list of possible suspects to half the world.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:33 PM

14 posts, read 34,502 times
I am brand new to this board but, Reenale, I think your profile is extremely good. It sounds like you've done a lot of research. I have found this case very intriguing right from the beginning.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:54 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Default Dark Minds TV Series

The above TV series, Dark Minds (Investigation Discovery channel) will profile the LI Serial Killer on its Wednesday, April 23 episode (9 pm Eastern/8 pm Central). If you're not familiar with the show, it has an investigative journalist (M. William Phelps), a criminal profiler (John Kelly) and a convicted serial killer who is currently in prison (nickname "Raven," real name undisclosed) they communicate with on the telephone who explore current, unsolved serial killer cases with an emphasis on finding new information.

Here's a video preview of the upcoming show:

Dark Minds: What Did This Killer Keep Telling His Victim's Family? : Video : Investigation Discovery

Here's a column written by M. William Phelps about the case:

M. William Phelps: "Lost Girls" & Finding The Long Island Serial Killer | Crime Feed

Be sure and watch and we can discuss!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime