Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 04:39 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times

Advertisements

This is the latest update:
Murdered elderly couple | Sheriff says Dermonds likely knew... | www.ajc.com

It makes no sense to me that they were murdered, and there is no sign of a burglary. What could the motive be to do this to an elderly couple otherwise? I do know residents in Reynolds Plantation are really unnerved by this.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:37 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
This story gets more curious. It had to be someone the couple knew. As much as it bothers me to think it, I'd be looking at their children. It was personal.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:06 PM

749 posts, read 920,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
This story gets more curious. It had to be someone the couple knew. As much as it bothers me to think it, I'd be looking at their children. It was personal.
I agree with you......this was someone they knew well, possibly a top employee, who was having difficulties at one of their franchises, or one of their children trying to get the inheritance sooner..............

Old 05-23-2014, 09:31 PM

749 posts, read 920,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post
I agree with you......this was someone they knew well, possibly a top employee, who was having difficulties at one of their franchises, or one of their children trying to get the inheritance sooner..............
However, this was a murder- for- hire, well-planned and thought- out. The reason for the head? This is a MAFIA killing, to convince the people who hire them that the crime was carried out......

Old 05-23-2014, 10:06 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post
However, this was a murder- for- hire, well-planned and thought- out. The reason for the head? This is a MAFIA killing, to convince the people who hire them that the crime was carried out......

According to this, it doesn't look like a professional killing.

Quote:
There’s conflicting signs that the killings were the work of professionals.

“For everything that looks professional, there’s something that isn't,” Sills said. “This is not the work of some drug-crazed individuals, and this is not some professional assassin.”

Nothing has surfaced that would indicate the Dermonds ever associated with such people.

Murdered elderly couple | Sheriff says Dermonds likely knew... | www.ajc.com

Old 05-24-2014, 04:50 AM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
It really is a sad story. Imagine, living your entire life and are now at an age where you're frail and challenged by daily activities, only to end up being brutally murdered. How frightened that old couple must have been. I think of this and am almost relieved my own parents are now gone so I don't have to worry about something like this happening to them. What an ugly country this is turning out to be.
Yup....I'm not even that old, but this is no longer close to the same nation I grew up in. The culture is toxic. The decline is rapid & I suspect terminal.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:32 AM

5,581 posts, read 6,506,670 times
I have returned to this thread, thanks to all who have contributed comments and links so I can "get caught up". I now think, since the sheriff is quoted as saying it looks like a "professional" killing, that it is not a cult killing but a hired hit. Reminds me of the Jewish couple ambushed in the parking garage of their complex, their two sons (out of 5 children) put a hit on the parents as the parents were wealthy and "retired" from their (the father's) business, but still did not want the sons, who were now running the business, to make changes to the business.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:34 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Yup....I'm not even that old, but this is no longer close to the same nation I grew up in. The culture is toxic. The decline is rapid & I suspect terminal.
This is really just mental perception.. the culture is not more toxic than ever, if anything as a whole we are more tolerant and non-violent than ever before. You have to look to the past to find wholesale killing of people over religious belief systems and wars basically every decade or two.

You hear about it more because of instant access to information and higher population density, but per capita, we are the most peaceful society in modern history.

People just need to turn off their tee vees which are designed to get them hooked to drama and world events, and live their lives. As a percentage of the population, very few people go around doing this type of stuff. Just like there are not pedophiles roaming the streets ready to abduct your kids, as the media might have you think. Stop swallowing the kool-aid.

Another example.. weather is NOT getting more severe than in the past, there has always been severe weather in the eastern US, it has great ingredients for severe weather: dry desert air, cold canadian air, and warm gulf air combined... it's only faster media access, storm chasers, sophisticated satellite and radar tracking, and our online connected society that makes it seem like weather is more extreme. Weather would have had to have been pretty extreme in the past to cover a big chunk of the northern US in ice...

I always get arguments when I make these points but I don't care... the facts speak for themselves... actual violent crime is at historic lows, and in my opinion we have a damn fine society where people are more tolerant than ever before. It's not perfect, and certainly won't seem that way for people who watch a lot of Tee Vee and see all the 'horrors' going on which make up a small percentage of actual people living their actual lives. People have short attention spans and don't know what happened 20 years ago, much less 200 years ago. The past is quickly forgotten, or glossed over with nostalgic stories about how 'good' things were in the 'past' .. a past when we were slaughtering indians and shooting any animal that caught our attention, nearly driving many to extinction by the early 1900's.. when women could not vote and blacks were persecuted upon... need I go on? Well I won't, I've rambled more than enough already.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:51 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
We are MUCH less violent than we were when I was in high school. The murder rate has gone down something like 60% in that time. But cases like this just make you wonder what some people are thinking about. Unless the killer's name is the beneficiary on their life insurance, what other reason could there be? And I even doubt that, because where the heck is the wife in that case? You have to prove someone is dead before you can inherit their stuff.

Now, based on personal experience, it occurs to me to wonder whether someone took issue with the way the husband was caring for the wife, iced him and took her to care for themselves. It's a tiny bit of a contradiction to kill someone for humanitarian reasons, but some people are such idiots that they would never see the problem with it.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:43 AM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
This is really just mental perception.. the culture is not more toxic than ever, if anything as a whole we are more tolerant and non-violent than ever before. You have to look to the past to find wholesale killing of people over religious belief systems and wars basically every decade or two.

You hear about it more because of instant access to information and higher population density, but per capita, we are the most peaceful society in modern history.

People just need to turn off their tee vees which are designed to get them hooked to drama and world events, and live their lives. As a percentage of the population, very few people go around doing this type of stuff. Just like there are not pedophiles roaming the streets ready to abduct your kids, as the media might have you think. Stop swallowing the kool-aid.

Another example.. weather is NOT getting more severe than in the past, there has always been severe weather in the eastern US, it has great ingredients for severe weather: dry desert air, cold canadian air, and warm gulf air combined... it's only faster media access, storm chasers, sophisticated satellite and radar tracking, and our online connected society that makes it seem like weather is more extreme. Weather would have had to have been pretty extreme in the past to cover a big chunk of the northern US in ice...

I always get arguments when I make these points but I don't care... the facts speak for themselves... actual violent crime is at historic lows, and in my opinion we have a damn fine society where people are more tolerant than ever before. It's not perfect, and certainly won't seem that way for people who watch a lot of Tee Vee and see all the 'horrors' going on which make up a small percentage of actual people living their actual lives. People have short attention spans and don't know what happened 20 years ago, much less 200 years ago. The past is quickly forgotten, or glossed over with nostalgic stories about how 'good' things were in the 'past' .. a past when we were slaughtering indians and shooting any animal that caught our attention, nearly driving many to extinction by the early 1900's.. when women could not vote and blacks were persecuted upon... need I go on? Well I won't, I've rambled more than enough already.
Rambled is right....thanks for the laugh. The West & the United states are in social & economic collapse. Over 90 million people not working. Tens of millions on welfare & food stamps. No manufacturing jobs left. A 17 trillion dollar debt that will NEVER be repaid. 30 million illegal aliens flooding the nation & using massive amounts of social services. You have no historical understanding of anything. least of all what is happening right in front of your eyes. You are infected with the egalitarian mania of modern P.C. & think that it is the be all and end all of a happy society. 1950s America makes THIS America look like a joke. That America was a serious nation....this edition is no such thing. Look at how people dressed & acted in that society, and look around today at the overweight idiots that populate our pubic space by the tens of millions. I can't tell you the number of kids we can't hire at work from the public schools because they can't spell, or do simple math. I'm aware that no decline is even....and there have been improvements along the way, but the rot is real & terminal IMO.

That you would even say that crime is better than in the past is a joke. I'm not talking about the so-called facts that we have a little lower crime since the crime-explosion from the 60s to the 80s. Violent crime in the depression & up until the 50s was almost nonexistent compared to today. You, like many Americans, are race-obsessed, and judge most eveything in that context, yet I see you live in SD.....lot's of diversity there. Try living in California, which used to have the best public education in America, and now has the worst. LA is a gang war-zone. All Western nations are in decline, not just the States. London was the safest big city in the world....these days not so much. Lot's of no-go areas. Much of London is now a violent crime-zone as are the outskirts of Paris where the French police no longer go. Check out the French election results from TODAY & ask yourself why ? You have no clue what's going on....

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 05-26-2014 at 04:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime