Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 05:19 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times

Advertisements

Group: Here's a real mystery, at least at this early point in the investigation.

Two old folks. Decapitated man found in his garage - the head is missing. Wife of 87 years is missing - but her purse, phone and car are not missing. Gated, quiet community. Off the beaten path - 40 miles from Atlanta. No known enemies. Home was otherwise in pristine shape - robbery doesn't seem a motive.

Why take the head? Sounds like a drug cartel tactic but I'm really reaching.

A love triangle? At that age? Hardly.

Wife snapped after years of abuse? Remote possibility, no past abuse noted (so far).

Revenge? For what? He seems to be owner of a Wendy's and a Chik-Fil-A.

Coverup? Did one of his restaurant employees embezzle money and kill him to keep from being reported to police? That might explain the lack of forced entry, but why take the head? Why not just kill them both and flee?

The gated community had video surveillance but the cameras were not working.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-08-2014 at 08:52 PM..

Old 05-08-2014, 09:36 PM

812 posts, read 736,425 times
Why pay so much to live in a gated community, if they can't be bothered to keep their surveillance systems functioning?

Horrible story, hard to find a motive for this one...there are sick people out there.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:41 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,492,998 times
Interesting about the gated community cameras not working. Makes me think some kind of inside suspect.

Other options would include someone that the couple knew. Family? Friend? Work related?

It is a horrific crime and I hope whoever did this is brought to justice, sooner rather than later.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:08 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,600 times
Could a dementia patient be capable of cutting someone's head off? I live in AZ and you often hear of elderly people with dementia wandering off...but I can't imagine that an 87 year old woman could wander too far without being found, with her husband's head no less.

Other possibility would be a professional hit (ordered by one of their offspring perhaps?), but it sounds too complicated and not like any hit I've heard about. Suppose they asked for the husband to die and for the wife to be taken to a secret location alive. Still don't understand why they would risk taking the head...as proof the job was done? But surely there are easier ways...

Old 05-10-2014, 12:25 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
They have three adult children. I wonder about their children's financial dealings. Could the victims be someone following through on a threat due to an unpaid debt of one of their kid's? I haven't seen any of their children on the news yet.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:21 PM

5,575 posts, read 6,501,669 times
When I first read this the story said the killer most likely arrived by boat. I am going to take a wild guess that this is perhaps the act of a cult/satanic group. I have read of similiar crimes in the past.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:29 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,755,918 times
My question is, who were the beneficiaries on the couple's insurance policies?

Here's another: could the scene have been staged to make it look as if the wife were kidnapped, when actually she was behind it?

Could this just be a random -- and completely messed-up -- crime against two people who happened to be vulnerable because of a cranky security system?

Was there a caregiver in the home who quietly went nuts?

Old 05-13-2014, 04:12 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,571,870 times
I noted that their home is for sale and has been on the market since January of this year. There was a link posted to the real estate listing showing the photos of the home which was absolutely beautiful. The address was listed and it would not be hard to find out who lived there. I'm thinking someone may have pretended to be interested in the house and went through it with a realtor, in order to scope it out and get a feel for the layout. Perhaps something went wrong and their plan backfired - I'm thinking maybe they were intending to ask for a ransom, it spiraled out of control, the Mr. was murdered - Mrs. is a witness and could identify them so they killed her too and in the process lost their bargaining chip to use for the ransom demands. The water approach makes sense - they could have come and gone silently in the dark of night via the lake, and the article that I read indicated they have witnesses who saw the Mr. out for a walk near his home on Friday, and he was seen at a local Publix on Thursday (video camera), and law enforcement says they have NEVER had a report of a burglary in this neighborhood, like ever. That may be why the alarm wasn't set, or they may have forgotten to set it. I can't imagine Mrs. was behind this - they were married for 68 years, and she was described as a small woman. They were also active in their church and well liked and well known in their community. Nothing appeared taken, no struggle, no missing phones or keys or cars. I don't hold out much hope that she is alive - it's almost two weeks now.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:12 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,445,382 times
What a strange case with zero leads or suspects.

Elderly couple mystery | Sheriff dismisses rumors of mob... | www.ajc.com

Old 05-14-2014, 05:09 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
I've been to Reynolds Plantation, where this took place. I know a couple who golfed with the deceased.

It is very difficult to gain entrance. You either need a dashboard pass, or the person you are visiting must put your name on a list in advance. You can't pull up to the guard and ask them to call. However, the lake is huge, and a large part of it is not part of the gated community.

It is a pricy place to live, and a false sense of security considering the high dues. I can't imagine an 87 yr old woman having the strength to decapitate a man. It's strange that nothing was missing from the home either. I do hope they eventually solve the crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime