Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 01:17 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times

Advertisements

Okay, let's back up. The court with original jurisdiction issues an arrest warrant -- not a "fugitive warrant."

If the person with the warrant goes to another state, that state may issue their own arrest warrant because the person in question is a fugitive. Their warrant does not have to demostrate that the suspect violated any local law; they have to show that the suspect violated the law of another state.

A person does not have to flee the original jurisdiction or the state of issue in order to be a fugitive from that jurisdiction or be a fugitive within that state. Not taking care of a warrant makes you a fugitive, and anyone who knowingly aids you, or obstructs or delays the service of the warrant, has committed Obstruction.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:53 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,528 times
To the Op; One thing I see no one has mentioned yet, is "Geographical limitations"

IF this is a misdemeanor warrant, maybe for a traffic offense then depending on how far out of "Geo's" you are then they may not be actively looking and just figure you'll pop up eventually.
Here's some info on that subject,

Bench Warrant After Failing to Appear

Old 05-20-2014, 02:29 PM

It's called a pick up radius.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
It's called a pick up radius.
Yeah, I'm sure different states have their little terms, Bolo, PUR, etc. Here they just refer to it as "Geo's".

Old 05-20-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Yeah, I'm sure different states have their little terms, Bolo, PUR, etc. Here they just refer to it as "Geo's".
What kind of identifier is used with "geos" to differentiate the pick up radius between entering agency only, 100 mile radius, etc?

Old 05-20-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
What kind of identifier is used with "geos" to differentiate the pick up radius between entering agency only, 100 mile radius, etc?
Here in Illinois, the distance is actually determined by the judge issuing the bench warrant. Has the person been suspected of other crimes? Has he/she willfully evaded being served with the warrant?
The general rule is misdemeanor traffic warrants, such as a DUI usually do not follow a person beyond three neighboring counties, UNLESS you're arrested for something unrelated in that county, then extradition is up to the original county that issued the warrant, but on a simple terry stop the distant county will advise you of the warrant and cut you loose.
I've worn those shoes, in my youth, so I've learned this.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:17 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Reality-You do not want the police knocking on your door. Period. You don't want them running your name, and if you're in a small town you do NOT want them to remember you for having someone hiding at your house. Next speeding ticket will not be a warning it might otherwise be.

Take the advice of others, distance yourself from the problem, advise your friend to go before a judge, she can call and arrange this without a problem.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:09 PM

226 posts, read 614,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Depending on what the warrant is for - she needs to woman up and go handle it. If she is seen out and about, pulled over for a traffic violation, or if somebody alerts the police to where she is staying - she will be re-arrested. Warrants never go away - even if she leaves the area - it's still out there. Generally there is a court hearing, a fine, some type of punishment (community service, serving time, etc.). She may even have more than one. I do not think I would want her staying at my place were I you - an unwanted and unexpected bang on the door in the middle of the night by officers attempting to serve a warrant would be unnerving and embarrassing for you, at the very least. Please encourage her to do the right thing and just go in and take care of it - it will not go away on its own.
Yeah I totally agree! I am NOT letting her stay at my place, I knew she was in legal trouble, cause she has a perfectly good home. She is a rich girl, and she tries to act tough and that's why she is always in legal trouble, and I know the danger of me having her stay in my home, so I told her no. But yeah I do agree she needs to woman up and deal with this. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Depends - sometimes they come look for the person, sometimes they just wait until she gets stopped for a traffic offense...then they see her name pop up on the computer and take her to jail. They could pick her up when you go through customs if she is traveling and returning, etc. Several possible scenarios here.
Take some caution here - if an officer comes to your house and asks for this friend, and you try to lie for her - then you will be joining her in jail.
Yeah, I see! Well I don't know the severity of her warrant, but I am guessing the cops already went to her house because she is trying to stay at everyones houses and I am not letting her stay at mine at all. I said no to her, cause I knew she was in trouble, cause she has a really good home, so it's bull**** she just "can't stand her house" and "needs to stay somewhere else cause it's too stressful" Her house has to be the calmest house I have ever been to! lmao! She is just in trouble and I don't know anything about warrants, but thank you for the info!

Old 05-20-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
If it is for a minor crime the police will be in no hurry, just a matter of time before she discovers she can't do a lot of things while the warrant is in effect such as:

Vote

Apply for crredit

Pass a background check for employment

renew a driver's license

turn in a change of Address at the post office

file a civil suit against somebody

and the list goes on.

Kind of pointless to avoid a warrant only makes things worse
Yeah I agree! I know she is screwing herself. I thought it was because she missed a court date... now I am hearing it's because she owes fines, and isn't paying her fines, I don't know the severity of the warrant but I am guessing it's pretty bad because she is trying to stay at my house and everyone elses, and I am NOT letting her stay at my house, I know what that can do, and the potential of that, so I am not going to be caught up in her mess, but yeah I see what you mean. Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
whoa, now that you are knowingly harboring a fugitive from justice you could be arrested too
I am not harboring her. She tried to stay at my house, but I said NO to her, cause I know what could happen to me if I were to do that.

Quote:
People who have warrants aren't being "harassed." A warrant is an order to arrest, so yes, the police will arrest you.

It depends on what the warrant is for and what size town you live in. Small town officers are more likely to know about, keep track of and try to serve their warrants. If she received a speeding ticket in Columbus and didn't appear in court, no one is going to come and look for her. They will, however, put a warrant block on her license and registration, so she will have to deal with it eventually.

Tell her to call the court and make arrangements to come in and see the judge on the next available court date. If she appears on her own (and assuming she is not charged with a serious crime) the warrant entry will simply be cancelled. It is a whole lot easier to simply take care of it than to spend your time in hiding and looking over your shoulder.
Oh yeah I totally agree! I think she has a warrant cause she couldn't pay her fines and she has unpaid fines. I thought it was because she missed a court date, but I think she did also miss a court date, but maybe I am wrong. I know though she isn't paying her fines, like a dumbass. I don't know the severity of her warrant, but I am guess it's pretty bad if she is asking to stay at my house and such. I am not letting her though. Thank you for the info!

Old 05-20-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Some advice from a legal advice site

SOURCE

In reading through the site it does not appear avoiding a warrant is considered being a fugative.

But best advice I can think of

Get your friend to contact the court and get the warrant resolved.

Second best advice is check with an attorney and see where you stand.
Yeah, I am going to tell her that! She's an idiot, and also a spoiled, rich girl who thinks shes tough so I am just annoyed with her and her stupid legal troubles. I am hearing it's because she isn't paying her fines, and she had unpaid fines, I thought it was because she missed her court date, but who knows. Thank you for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
It's not harassment. She committed a crime. Now that she's missed a court date, they are going to do everything in their power to find her sorry butt and bring her to justice. If you're smart, you won't let her stay with you. You have idea what she has done, and it can come back on you as harboring a fugitive, if the crime is bad enough.
Oh yeah I agree! I am not letting her stay with me, I declined her. I know what could happen to me, and I am not getting caught up in her mess. But I just didn't know if cops will show up at your door continuously or just wait till you do something else bad? But I think they are showing up at her door cause she wants to stay at my house and she is asking some of our fiends we're all saying NO. But thank you for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannis View Post
I don't how you "know" that she has an outstanding warrant. It sounds like you suspect it based on what others have told you. That doesn't make you guilty of harboring anyone. I also don't know how good of a friend she is to you. If the police show up at your door or call, and you want to "help" your friend, DO NOT lie to them, but don't answer any questions. You do not have to tell them who may or may not be in your house, or anything else for that matter. Just tell them to go away if they don't have a warrant.
My friends told me, and her mom told me she does. I am not even associating her considering what's going on with her, I don't want to be caught up in that mess. That is bull****, that is her mess. But thank you for commenting! and giving advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Are you ready to join her in the clink for harboring a fugitive?

Then by all means let her stay in your house.

You meet such interesting people in prison.....
LOL! I am NOT letting her stay at my house. I am avoiding her. I know what could happen to me and I don't need to be involved in that mess. I just didn't know what a warrant for an arrest really meant, but thanks! Haha!

Quote:
I am sure every state has their own definition, but I imagine they are all pretty similar. In Ohio a person with a warrant is a fugitive. They are not taking care of their business as required by law and are avoiding their day in court. There is no such thing as a "fugitive from justice" warrant.
She is in Pittsburgh though. But thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime