Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 06:20 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,418,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
If you're going to mutter something under you're breath, don't let it be I killed them all, of course.
Shocker! Doesn't look like he'll be getting away with murder much longer, but it's way too bad that he was allowed to live most of his life free. His wife was really young and his woman friend still should have had lots of time left when he took their lives away. He's in his 70's, probably not a huge deal to spend his last few years in prison.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:03 AM

44,546 posts, read 61,236,501 times
It will be interesting to see what kind of deal he gets away with now, since his family relations have an infinite amount of money for the best defense attorney's in the world. I was reading where they own about 1/2 of NYC.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:42 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,481,848 times
[quote=wit-nit;38844930]It will be interesting to see what kind of deal he gets away with now, since his family relations have an infinite amount of money for the best defense attorney's in the world. I was reading where they own about 1/2 of NYC.[/

Did you see the HBO doc about Durst -- "The Jinx"? Fascinating and highly recommended, although I think perhaps a little unethical by the filmmaker. Lots of parallels to "Fatal Vision" in that they befriended him, earned his trust by giving the appearance of being "on his side" and promising to tell the story objectively. I'm not sure if his "confession" is going to hold up. He gave every appearance of being a deranged psychopath.

The family seemed to rally around him somewhat after the disappearance of his first wife. Their silence about it speaks volumes.

They also initially appeared to support him during the Galveston murder trial, although Durst fired the lawyer they provided and hired Dick DeGuerin to defend him. DeGuerin is legendary - he got him off the first time, and will be representing him in the Los Angeles case.

As for his family: There is a long history of sibling rivalry and estrangement. The family severed ties with him officially in 2006. They bought him out for $65 million. The younger brother (Douglas) is apparently so concerned over and disturbed by his behavior that he had a permanent restraining order against him. Durst was arrested at least once for violating the order.

Interview with the brother Douglas: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/02/ny...ther.html?_r=0

IMO, the "letter" seems to be pretty incriminating. But DeGuerin is a master - Durst has the best defense money can buy.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:24 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,161,050 times
Recently finished watching all 6 episode of the HBO series The Jinx & am extremely impressed. This is one of the best true crime documentaries I've ever seen; superb use of old archival footage & pictures, as well as new footage, etc. I could be wrong about this, but it appears the newer interview segments were filmed in HD - excellent picture quality here. I've never seen a bad or even average HBO production, and The Jinx is no exception - superb.

Re: The Jinx, I noticed that when RD was speaking specifically about the crimes he was accused of, he had a strange eye blink/twitch. Anyone else notice this? I'm not psychologist, but it seems that may have meant something. Not sure, though.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:17 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,508,741 times
I say listening to him he didn't get away with anything. I also think they did just by accident leave the mike on. I think perhaps the jury in the Galveston case ruled correctly on evidence they had with the charge. Happens.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:12 AM

21 posts, read 23,679 times
He admitted killing the guy and dismembering the body, but claimed self-defense. I think if he'd been charged with manslaughter instead of murder, he'd be in jail right now.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:51 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,161,050 times
I'm not surprised that he was deemed "innocent" in the Galveston case. His extreme wealth enabled him to hire an extremely expensive lawyer, and because of this he was able to get off scot-free - despite having committed a heinous crime.

Anyone who thinks the Galveston case was ruled "correctly" is delusional. If he had been poor, he would unquestionably have been convicted & spent the rest of his life in jail - if he hadn't gotten the d. penalty.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 03-27-2015 at 06:32 PM..

Old 12-19-2017, 09:10 PM

202 posts, read 151,350 times
"The Jinx" was absolutely riveting viewing. My wife got the impression he was bi-polar. The way he behaved when he went into the men's room with the microphone still operating probably supports that theory.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:55 AM

26,585 posts, read 26,467,894 times
In a jail call recorded in 2015, Robert Durst told a friend he regretted giving interviews to the producers of "The Jinx," saying he realized while watching the six-part HBO documentary that he "definitely had a problem."

In recorded jail call, Robert Durst tells friend he regrets doing 'The Jinx'

Old 04-21-2018, 02:45 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,598,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
In a jail call recorded in 2015, Robert Durst told a friend he regretted giving interviews to the producers of "The Jinx," saying he realized while watching the six-part HBO documentary that he "definitely had a problem."

In recorded jail call, Robert Durst tells friend he regrets doing 'The Jinx'
I bet he regrets it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime