U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 04:03 PM

749 posts, read 754,665 times

Advertisements

Did anyone see Dateline last night on NBC, titled "One Summer Night"? This is, without a doubt, MOVIE material. It should be watched by every woman in America and beyond. I will give you a peek into it:

It is the story of a mother of 7 children, that is run out -of- a- highway in Idaho, by three male thugs, including a Mormon, and the leader of it all, a 5 ft. female, who spoke English and Spanish. They cut her throat, was hit over the head with a bat, and her finger was cut off for her ring. Then, they left her near the car. They returned again, and set the car on fire. Two teens near the farm where it happened heard her cries, and pulled her out of the fire......She lived to tell her story......

But, the wrong person was identified by the victim, along with the three thugs. This wrongly- accused person, did not speak Spanish, and was much taller than the short leader of the gang. She spent 12 to 15 years in jail, out of a life sentence, when new details came into focus that they had the wrong person. The State of Idaho, refused her a new trial, even though they had made lots of mistakes with the prosecution.......The original Mastermind got away with it.......!!!!!!!

All I can say is I am glad to live in the State I live in..........A must see.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 04:23 PM

335 posts, read 415,630 times
Yes, I saw it. Amazing story.

But the victim, Ms LeBrane, is adamant that they got the right person, Sarah Pearce. In fact, she appears positive.

Gotta make you wonder..........................

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/0...-dateline.html

Old 07-12-2014, 06:48 PM

Ms. LeBrane was left for dead, and she herself admitted that while the car was burning near her, she was hallucinating.......her neck was slashed.

It is very much possible that under those circumstances, she made a mistake in identifying her female attacker. She stated that her attacker spoke English and Spanish, and was very, very pretty, under 5 ft. tall. The woman accused had none of those characteristics.

Even the family that helped convict her stated that they knew she was the wrong person, but that the State of Idaho, had an agenda to convict, NOW! This family also knew the attacker and her boyfriend very well. Why they went along with it? Pressure from others in the court room, and fear of retaliation....

Old 07-12-2014, 06:51 PM

Plus we are also forgetting that this happened off a dark highway, and a farm...........

Old 07-13-2014, 10:35 AM

21,546 posts, read 14,441,120 times
There are many reasons why the wrong person is convicted.
Eye witness identification is well known to be unreliable; it's one of those things that, right or wrong, is often hard for the witness to question internally. Mrs. LeBrane is one of those who, at first, have doubts while the memories are fresh when viewing mug shots and similar visual ID, but once they settle on a face, it's hard to shake off the relief they feel when they decide that person is the offender, even if they're wrong.

We have all been mistaken when recognizing another person before. A visual identification always has other elements that accompany it- tone of voice, mannerisms, etc. Sometimes when something else matches in a video or something, it's that stuff that convinces them over the visual differences.

Prosecutors have a lot invested with every serious case. Convicting the right person with surety, boldness, and authority can lead to much career advancement, while convicting the wrong person with those same qualities can ruin a career as a prosecutor forever, especially if it leads to dismissal. Dismissal can end a career in criminal law for good, even as a defense lawyer.

A wrongful conviction also can damage a County Prosecutor's office and it's ability to prosecute others, as it also reflects on the P.A., the other assistant P.A.s. The police department is also damaged, as is the Chief or the Sheriff, the investigators, and the rest. Judges can be damaged as well. All can suffer permanent and long-lasting damages that may force any or all of them out of the law as a career, and sometimes, they can face other censure as well.

In this case, they all got 3 out of 4 right. The right people got the right convictions and sentences. This only makes everyone involved with the arrest, trial and conviction of the girl more critical, and a mistake can put a permanent shade on all concerned, even after a decade or more. This can become dangerous to the local justice system if criminals and their defense attorneys can use it to their advantage and put criminals who were rightfully prosecuted back on the street.

Deals are one of few ways prosecution has to cut a deal when a conviction shows a very good possibility of being overturned. Typically, such deals include some admission of some degree of guilt in return for quick freedom. This always saves face for someone involved in the prosecution, but more importantly keeps the appearance of tough resolve to give any felon swift and sure justice.

Mistaken individuals go to prison all the time, every day. In cases as so prominent and severe as this one, being offered a deal does not force an innocent person to take it. They can always use the appeals process, but that always means more time in prison, often much more time. We read about cases where the innocent do choose the hard way to be released all the time. They always end up spending about 10 more years than they would have if they had chose the deal instead.

No justice system in this country is immune from this harsh process. These days, with law enforcement budgets cut to the bone by the taxpayers, every prosecutor has to look at the costs of every choice closely. The deal itself, the costs of a second trial, and the prospect of a wrongful conviction lawsuit if a deal is denied by the convicted person.

Idaho isn't alone in all these pressures. The same crime could have reached the same conclusion anywhere in the U.S. these days. The fact that the assistant prosecutor resigned under pressure from her new boss, who was later forced from office himself, only complicated the matter much more than would be normal, and that complication alone probably caused the convicted girl to be imprisoned longer than necessary.

No one came out of this well. But very few of the cases that are similar to this one ever end up well, either. Somebody always pays some price at the end. If anything, this case only shows how vitally important it is to get things right the first time, even when the necessity of reaching a speedy conclusion is critical.

I believe Mrs. LeBrane made an honest mistake in identification. That she was able to identify all those who actually hurt her so badly was remarkable, and I hope she can finally come to admit to herself that she could have been mistaken when it came to the girl who was involved, if only for her peace of mind. But I also believe that this is impossible for her now.

Sarah Pearce, the convicted girl, has a very heavy price to pay for her release. Having a conviction with a life sentence on her record will have lifelong consequences, and repaying her monetary obligations makes her record much harder to do than otherwise. Hopefully, she will be able to find a steady job, and hopefully, she will be able to overcome an event that has burned the first 2 decades of her young life to ashes.

it's justice that is far from clean for anyone, but it's probably the only justice any will ever get.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:44 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,847,082 times
^^^^^^^ i love it when we get a poster who actually knows their onions.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:00 PM

25,956 posts, read 39,243,509 times
I don't remember the word Mormon being mentioned and what that has to do with it since you don't mention the other peoples religion and that is kind of weird to mention.

However it was very shocking and amazing how she survived and at the same time how a mother of 7 went year after year for 10 days all by herself and driving at night ...and the statement "when I got back I liked my kids again" was funny the way she said it and was actually understandable and sweet.

Unfortunately the victim who went through this horrific beating, stabbing and way more for a long time and could remember a lot incl. the height of the girl which later made it strange that she was so certain that all of a sudden a person so much taller was in her mind the suspect and had to pay for the crime.

I felt so sorry for the suspect since it seemed clear she was not the one and had to cut a deal to safe her from the unknown and chance of never getting out after she had to deal with so much wrong doing and paying for years monthly to the victim while most likely being innocent.

The way Dateline showed it seems the smaller criminal woman was the person who did all this and she is not charged with anything...unbelievable but I also keep in mind that this is an edited program and they can show us the way they want us to see it and that may not exactly the truth.

The other amazing part was the mother if the suspect and at the same time the person who did the time and how this mom was dedicated and did everything to get her daughter free. What an amazing story.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:36 AM

939 posts, read 649,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post
Did anyone see Dateline last night on NBC, titled "One Summer Night"? This is, without a doubt, MOVIE material. It should be watched by every woman in America and beyond. I will give you a peek into it:

It is the story of a mother of 7 children, that is run out -of- a- highway in Idaho, by three male thugs, including a Mormon, and the leader of it all, a 5 ft. female, who spoke English and Spanish. They cut her throat, was hit over the head with a bat, and her finger was cut off for her ring. Then, they left her near the car. They returned again, and set the car on fire. Two teens near the farm where it happened heard her cries, and pulled her out of the fire......She lived to tell her story......

But, the wrong person was identified by the victim, along with the three thugs. This wrongly- accused person, did not speak Spanish, and was much taller than the short leader of the gang. She spent 12 to 15 years in jail, out of a life sentence, when new details came into focus that they had the wrong person. The State of Idaho, refused her a new trial, even though they had made lots of mistakes with the prosecution.......The original Mastermind got away with it.......!!!!!!!

All I can say is I am glad to live in the State I live in..........A must see.......
If you watch alot of those shows, you will realize that DA's take an oath to NEVER admit to a mistake- regardless of the consequences to the innocent. Of course, I'm exaggerating, but very few DA's will admit they were wrong- it's the "notch in the belt" that counts. Our justice system is not concerned with truth, only with DA's and Judges "looking good", and covering their butts.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:43 AM

2,647 posts, read 4,080,102 times
Just watched this online. I believe the wrong girl was convicted and that Ms LaBrane was mistaken. Eye witness ID is very unreliable especially under such extreme circumstances. The fact that Sarah Pearce wasn't Hispanic, didn't speak Spanish and was 5ft6in raise plenty of red flags.

It is not unusual for the wrong person to be charged. Sarah's mother was wonderful but I have great sympathy for the victim Ms LaBrane. What a horrific experience to go through and it is no wonder she still suffers PTSD.

It is also scary to think how easy someone can be imprisoned for something they didn't do. Great program and thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:44 AM

9,151 posts, read 7,235,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I don't remember the word Mormon being mentioned and what that has to do with it since you don't mention the other peoples religion and that is kind of weird to mention.

However it was very shocking and amazing how she survived and at the same time how a mother of 7 went year after year for 10 days all by herself and driving at night ...and the statement "when I got back I liked my kids again" was funny the way she said it and was actually understandable and sweet.

Unfortunately the victim who went through this horrific beating, stabbing and way more for a long time and could remember a lot incl. the height of the girl which later made it strange that she was so certain that all of a sudden a person so much taller was in her mind the suspect and had to pay for the crime.

I felt so sorry for the suspect since it seemed clear she was not the one and had to cut a deal to safe her from the unknown and chance of never getting out after she had to deal with so much wrong doing and paying for years monthly to the victim while most likely being innocent.

The way Dateline showed it seems the smaller criminal woman was the person who did all this and she is not charged with anything...unbelievable but I also keep in mind that this is an edited program and they can show us the way they want us to see it and that may not exactly the truth.

The other amazing part was the mother if the suspect and at the same time the person who did the time and how this mom was dedicated and did everything to get her daughter free. What an amazing story.
I remember that it was mentioned that he had gone on a mormon mission. Plus, after he plead guilty he apologized to "Sister LeBrane" according to the victim herself. If you have a problem with that, blame the media/reporter who failed to mention the religion of the other players, not us who are discussing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime