Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2014, 09:29 AM

7,635 posts, read 8,705,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Maybe it was one of his ex law students
I have stated why I think this is unlikely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 01:19 PM

175 posts, read 256,604 times
Wouldn't you think by now, everyone would have been checked out and proven innocent? Now I'm thinking road rage again. I'm always looking at Priuses because many relatives have them and I like them. The ones I always see are mostly blue, green, red or white. I only saw a silver one once and the old ones were tan, black, blue and green only, I believe. Couldn't they look up silver Priuses at the MVD in that city and encompassing area or would it be an invasion of privacy?

Old 10-07-2014, 08:15 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kv7370 View Post
Wouldn't you think by now, everyone would have been checked out and proven innocent? Now I'm thinking road rage again. I'm always looking at Priuses because many relatives have them and I like them. The ones I always see are mostly blue, green, red or white. I only saw a silver one once and the old ones were tan, black, blue and green only, I believe. Couldn't they look up silver Priuses at the MVD in that city and encompassing area or would it be an invasion of privacy?
But the reality is, you can only clear someone quickly if they're cooperative. I don't know to what degree the ex-wife has cooperated, but if she lawyered up right away, refused to answer questions or consent to any searches, the cops are going to have to build their case, and this takes time. It doesn't appear they have much to go on.
They wouldn't need additional cause/a warrant to get the names of all silver Prius owners in the area. They could do that and, as you're thinking, try to find a link between one of them and any potential suspect. If they're at a dead end, they're probably doing that. But again, this takes considerable time and a lot of man hours. And truthfully, the reported Prius may be nothing at all. Remember how long they chased white vans, in vain, looking for the DC snipers?

Old 10-08-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
But the reality is, you can only clear someone quickly if they're cooperative. I don't know to what degree the ex-wife has cooperated, but if she lawyered up right away, refused to answer questions or consent to any searches, the cops are going to have to build their case, and this takes time. It doesn't appear they have much to go on.
They wouldn't need additional cause/a warrant to get the names of all silver Prius owners in the area. They could do that and, as you're thinking, try to find a link between one of them and any potential suspect. If they're at a dead end, they're probably doing that. But again, this takes considerable time and a lot of man hours. And truthfully, the reported Prius may be nothing at all. Remember how long they chased white vans, in vain, looking for the DC snipers?

I forgot about the "lawyered up" part. that happened in the Kyron Homan case (little boy missing in Washington) They suspected the stepmother and she lawyered up, doesn't talk and it's been 4 years!
Yes, it does take long man hours to work on this case. I truly hope they get it solved.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:50 PM

Contract killers are supposed to be rarely caught, right? But when they do get caught, how likely are they to reveal information about who hired them? They would still be sentenced as a murderer wouldn't they? Also how would some university professor like Markel's ex-wife find a hitman? By searching the Internet? That's why I think it would be very important for the investigators to get hold of her computers in the immediate aftermath of the murder, to recover any erased files. The longer it takes, the harder to solve the case.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:20 PM

If they haven't found anybody yet, this has got to be road rage.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:45 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
But as I just said, they probably haven't been able to check her computer and phone record (which could reveal if she had searched/contacted some professional killer) since there is not enough reason to obtain warrants. She's not even a person of interest.

A disgruntled student has nothing to gain by killing him in such a sneaky manner, and they would at least confront him before firing the bullet.
How do you know? It's possible that a disgruntled student wasn't seeking to "gain" anything, and nothing says that the killer had to confront him before shooting. It is possible that he just wanted him dead, and he didn't want him to know who did the killing. I'd imagine it's easier to kill a person you know, if you don't have to confront them when you do it. This is especially true of someone who has never killed before.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
How do you know? It's possible that a disgruntled student wasn't seeking to "gain" anything, and nothing says that the killer had to confront him before shooting. It is possible that he just wanted him dead, and he didn't want him to know who did the killing. I'd imagine it's easier to kill a person you know, if you don't have to confront them when you do it. This is especially true of someone who has never killed before.
Well I don't know and never claimed I know.

I made the statement based on real cases in history. Disgruntled students or fired employees tend to confront their victims before killing them, often in a rage.

In Merkel's case, I still think the ex-wife has the strongest motive and the most to gain. By the way a lot of spouses or ex-spouses hire contract killers, unless they couldn't afford it, which is obviously not in this case.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:23 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Well I don't know and never claimed I know.

I made the statement based on real cases in history. Disgruntled students or fired employees tend to confront their victims before killing them, often in a rage.

In Merkel's case, I still think the ex-wife has the strongest motive and the most to gain. By the way a lot of spouses or ex-spouses hire contract killers, unless they couldn't afford it, which is obviously not in this case.
I agree. It would be a very unusual MO for a disgruntled student to commit a "sneak attack" and flee. Almost all of those we've seen were after that personal confrontation. And most commit suicide immediately after. They're not usually concerned with getting away.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:51 PM

So after this Las Vegas road rage in all the news, you see what I mean by me thinking this was road rage. We had something similar to this in the area I live in also. Maybe Markel was an aggressive driver and it teed somebody off to the point of this happening. He said on the phone someone pulled in behind him who he did not know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime