U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-01-2014, 10:22 AM
 
2,321 posts, read 2,092,952 times
Reputation: 3835

Advertisements

Hiker attacked on Silver Comet Trail so badly that her husband failed to recognise her | Mail Online

They say every bone in her face is broken.

This seems like a targeted attack to me. A stalker. The news reports indicate she "regularly" ran this trail and was caught just before the end, at the 20-mile mark. I think someone knew her schedule so well, he lay in wait to get her when he KNEW she would be too tired to do much fighting back.

She says she does not recall anything except being pulled away into the woods when someone jumped in front of her -- that she blacked out.

But why would someone beat her so badly (in the face, suggesting personal hatred) and not rape or kill her? She and her husband are relatively new to the Atlanta area (from Arkansas). Could this be an affair gone sour that her husband didn't know about and she said she doesn't remember anything about it because she's protecting herself (her marriage) and this guy? He could have been a random creep who hated women and grabbed her.

I'm not blaming anyone; just trying to keep an open mind. This is the first report I've seen and they'll likely drag out the details later, though it's already been more than 48 hours since it occurred.

The man would surely have scratches on him because they say she "fought back." Really scary.

As a woman, I wouldn't feel safe walking or running or riding a bike along a 20-mile trail alone.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2014, 10:37 AM
 
7,112 posts, read 9,352,884 times
Reputation: 8162
It may or may not be a planned thing. Something exactly like this happened in Ann Arbor -- the woman lived but she was beaten unrecognizable and raped -- and it turned out to be the first in a string of rapes and rape/murders. There are some guys who are generally crappy to women, up to and including rape, but they only bludgeon strangers to death on a random basis, sans rape. Levi Bellfield is an example of that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2014, 07:55 PM
 
749 posts, read 753,388 times
Reputation: 587
This has been happening across the USA, in parks and trails. Any woman, in today's world, that goes alone to parks or trails to run, or camp out, is not thinking of her security at all.

Lots of homeless people on alcohol and hard drugs are also frequenting these places, and using them to sleep.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2014, 10:59 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
13,821 posts, read 18,803,182 times
Reputation: 24495
yes everyone should be aware of their surroundings however you should not have to live like a prisoner either and when will women stop being preyed upon ? these poor women being beaten beyond recognition I will pray for them. May God bless them .
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2014, 12:04 PM
 
Location: NW AR
2,438 posts, read 2,172,772 times
Reputation: 2265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
Hiker attacked on Silver Comet Trail so badly that her husband failed to recognise her | Mail Online

They say every bone in her face is broken.

This seems like a targeted attack to me. A stalker. The news reports indicate she "regularly" ran this trail and was caught just before the end, at the 20-mile mark. I think someone knew her schedule so well, he lay in wait to get her when he KNEW she would be too tired to do much fighting back.

She says she does not recall anything except being pulled away into the woods when someone jumped in front of her -- that she blacked out.

But why would someone beat her so badly (in the face, suggesting personal hatred) and not rape or kill her? She and her husband are relatively new to the Atlanta area (from Arkansas). Could this be an affair gone sour that her husband didn't know about and she said she doesn't remember anything about it because she's protecting herself (her marriage) and this guy? He could have been a random creep who hated women and grabbed her.

I'm not blaming anyone; just trying to keep an open mind. This is the first report I've seen and they'll likely drag out the details later, though it's already been more than 48 hours since it occurred.

The man would surely have scratches on him because they say she "fought back." Really scary.

As a woman, I wouldn't feel safe walking or running or riding a bike along a 20-mile trail alone.
I saw this on the news.. she is from Arkansas. I think the key here is the wait after the 20 miles. Wouldn't the 20 mile mark put her back towards her home?

Edit: This was senseless and personal it sounds like. Could be a hate crime? I do agree that someone knew that she walked this all the time.. but this case has no value in it. She wasn't robbed, she wasn't raped so it had to be of monetary value.

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 08-03-2014 at 12:23 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 12:14 AM
 
1,882 posts, read 2,842,824 times
Reputation: 3886
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post
This has been happening across the USA, in parks and trails. Any woman, in today's world, that goes alone to parks or trails to run, or camp out, is not thinking of her security at all.

Lots of homeless people on alcohol and hard drugs are also frequenting these places, and using them to sleep.
As a woman that regularly hikes, bikes and walks alone, I think its important that women remain hyper-vigilant, but remain out there. Its TERRIBLY important, actually. Fear is a great manipulator and the fewer of us out there, living our lives, the easier it is for other women to be attacked.

We recently had a couple of incidents of joggers being attacked here in Griffith Park, and there was a resounding chorus of people saying, "oh, women shouldn't be out at that hour!" That is the WRONG attitude. We have a right to do our thing, and if we do our thing and someone assaults us, we weren't asking for it. We have to live our lives. We can't be captive to an attacker whether he attacks us or not, because that is basically what we do when we capitulate and stop being out in public, in daytime. Which this attack and the attacks on most women out jogging occur.

I think people should always keep their eye out for others- thank god that guy saw her and called 911. We have to watch out for each other. And women- carry pepper spray. Learn some judo. BUT DON"T LET SOME IDIOT SCARE YOU INTO NOT LIVING YOUR LIFE!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 12:17 AM
 
1,882 posts, read 2,842,824 times
Reputation: 3886
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
I saw this on the news.. she is from Arkansas. I think the key here is the wait after the 20 miles. Wouldn't the 20 mile mark put her back towards her home?

Edit: This was senseless and personal it sounds like. Could be a hate crime? I do agree that someone knew that she walked this all the time.. but this case has no value in it. She wasn't robbed, she wasn't raped so it had to be of monetary value.
It seems to me that this is something that was MEANT to perhaps be a rape, or a further assault, and perhaps he was interrupted.

I agree with Cliffie on this, that this is probably the beginning of something, and should be paid attention to in that light. I remember the Tamalpais attacker in SF in the sixties- he laid in wait on trails for people to attack. Could be the beginning of something like that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 02:55 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
13,821 posts, read 18,803,182 times
Reputation: 24495
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
As a woman that regularly hikes, bikes and walks alone, I think its important that women remain hyper-vigilant, but remain out there. Its TERRIBLY important, actually. Fear is a great manipulator and the fewer of us out there, living our lives, the easier it is for other women to be attacked.

We recently had a couple of incidents of joggers being attacked here in Griffith Park, and there was a resounding chorus of people saying, "oh, women shouldn't be out at that hour!" That is the WRONG attitude. We have a right to do our thing, and if we do our thing and someone assaults us, we weren't asking for it. We have to live our lives. We can't be captive to an attacker whether he attacks us or not, because that is basically what we do when we capitulate and stop being out in public, in daytime. Which this attack and the attacks on most women out jogging occur.

I think people should always keep their eye out for others- thank god that guy saw her and called 911. We have to watch out for each other. And women- carry pepper spray. Learn some judo. BUT DON"T LET SOME IDIOT SCARE YOU INTO NOT LIVING YOUR LIFE!
Amen and amen thank you just my point .
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 02:58 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
13,821 posts, read 18,803,182 times
Reputation: 24495
yes ladies if you jog or frequent trails and walk by yourself , learn some self protection and I cannot stress taking some classes for self protection . I myself krav maga and loved it and still do . I love jogging and walking and will not stop .
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 11:12 AM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,523 posts, read 17,750,904 times
Reputation: 30828
I agree with the idea that people should not live by fear, but be aware of surroundings and prepared to avert danger whether that is through self-defense techniques, pepper spray, or the best option, being able to run away and/or seek safety around people and public spaces if possible.

I should also point out that men need to consider this also as men are actually far more likely to be victims of random violence than women and despite walking around thinking, "I am a manly man, I can take care of myself.". Even men are very vulnerable to someone who is out to commit violence when you are just walking around minding your own business and unaware of your surroundings.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top