Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2019, 06:18 PM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times

Advertisements

Not a lot in my town specifically it's mainly just petty crime, but I believe there was a murder here about 20 or so years ago, but before I moved here. The biggest crime I remember was auto theft, they actually caught one of the crooks in my back yard.

....however, the state (Connecticut) does have some infamous crimes. Sandy Hook took place about 20 minutes from me, the Cheshire home invasion was about 30 minutes from me, and this new case of the missing mom is in the same county
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 11:46 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Not a lot in my town specifically it's mainly just petty crime, but I believe there was a murder here about 20 or so years ago, but before I moved here. The biggest crime I remember was auto theft, they actually caught one of the crooks in my back yard.

....however, the state (Connecticut) does have some infamous crimes. Sandy Hook took place about 20 minutes from me, the Cheshire home invasion was about 30 minutes from me, and this new case of the missing mom is in the same county
Don't forget the wood-chipper murder.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:28 PM

1,186 posts, read 102,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Don't forget the wood-chipper murder.
I believe that became the first episode of Forensic Files, how the envelope in her pocket was able to pass through the chipper unharmed and be discovered and traced back to him is quite a happening
got me hooked from the start

Old 07-20-2019, 03:14 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,180,020 times
1978: "ROCKFORD, Ill.--A 46-year-old father was charged Saturday with "silently and methodically" stabbing and beating his six sleeping children to death with a hunting knife and rubber-handed mallet."

The whole story: Mass Murder in Rockford, Winnebago County, Illinois

Pictures: https://www.rrstar.com/photogallery/...505009999/PH/1

Old 07-24-2019, 01:42 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times
About 12 years ago, torture, rape, just the most vile thing the community has ever seen. Details are beyond horrific, viewer discretion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder...stopher_Newsom

Old 07-26-2019, 06:37 AM

774 posts, read 745,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
About 12 years ago, torture, rape, just the most vile thing the community has ever seen. Details are beyond horrific, viewer discretion.

This one haunts me. Barbaric what those thugs did to that young couple. It's still shocking that they didn't get the special "hate crime" label attached. The female has already come up for parole once. Luckily, it was denied.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:03 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Another case was that of Sister Maureen Murphy, who, in the spring of '76, was found unconscious and bleeding profusely in her room at a convent in a suburb of Rochester, NY.

She was transported to the hospital where, upon examination and after passage of the placenta, it was determined that she'd recently given birth. Hospital staff asked the sisters who'd accompanied her to return to the convent and look for a newborn. They did so, and found a dead baby boy stuffed in a wastebasket, with a wad of clothing in his mouth, in Sr. Maureen's room.

She later stated that she was "innocent," had no recollection of giving birth to the baby (full-term, and found to have been born alive), or of having had intercourse--though it was revealed in her '77 bench trial (she waived a jury trial) that Sister Maureen, the director of a local Montessori school, had attended an out-of-state seminar in the summer of '75.

Ultumately, in what was a tough case for the prosecution--and judge--the defense conceded that she gave birth and killed the baby, but that she wasn't legally responsible because she'd lost so much blood and wasn't aware of what she was doing.

The judge found her not guilty on each of the manslaughter charges.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:05 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
https://www.nj.com/camden/2016/07/ra...es_appeal.html

This is the suburb I grew up in. When my sister was thinking of taking instruction, she met with this rabbi! (Did not proceed).

Old 07-26-2019, 12:27 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
This one haunts me. Barbaric what those thugs did to that young couple. It's still shocking that they didn't get the special "hate crime" label attached. The female has already come up for parole once. Luckily, it was denied.
The national news never covered it (of course), and the judge was a pain pill addict so it all got thrown out when that came to light, and they all got new trials.

All these years later it still haunts most Knoxvillians.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:30 PM

2,448 posts, read 893,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post

I recall that sickening case. That is the sort of case that keeps the death penalty alive in our country. It's extremely difficult to convince most people that the "people" who murdered them should not be killed for what they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime