U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 03:58 PM

7 posts, read 3,659 times

Advertisements

The "most infamous killers from each state" got me thinking about more local crimes that were just as notorious locally when they happened, although they may or may not be well-known nationally.

I grew up in Montgomery, IL, a teeny tiny town on the outskirts (at the time) of the western suburbs of Chicago. While no truly infamous crimes took place in Montgomery, the shocking crime of Marilyn Lemak murdering her 3 kids happened in nearby affluent Naperville in 1999. I remember as a teen parents couldn't stop talking about it and it was all over the news for a while.

Also, a year before I was born, in 1983, the young girl Jeanine Nicarico was murdered, also in Naperville. The case was beyond shocking because I believe it took place in a "nice" neighborhood, but also because it spawned a decades-long investigation that involved two innocent men initially being sentenced to death for the crime. In 2009 the actual murderer finally confessed and was given the death sentence.

What are the most infamous crimes from your towns or hometowns? How do you remember local people reacting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 04:40 PM

29 posts, read 45,048 times
Hillside Strangler. Bianchi worked as a Security Guard at the Fred Meyer we shop at.
I know there are others.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:25 PM

619 posts, read 318,927 times
Fritz and Susie

'Bitter Blood' true story of Tom Lynch, Susie Sharp Newsom and Fritz Klenner - Birmingham Movie | Examiner.com

Old 08-17-2014, 07:05 PM

2,384 posts, read 843,119 times
Jesse James and his gang tried to rob the bank. Things didn't go well.

Northfield, Minnesota Bank Robbery

Sometimes, when I'm walking the quiet downtown sidewalks of this college town, full of boutiques and coffee houses, I'll ponder the fact that once upon a time there was a raging gun battle on these very streets that left four people dead.

Strange...

Old 08-17-2014, 07:11 PM

2,252 posts, read 748,002 times
I live in a small town (8300 pop) 30 miles from Wichita Kansas. Around 1982 or 83 (don't recall exact year) a local woman in her late 20's disappeared after working 2nd shift at a local machine shop. Her car was found the next day in front of the local post office with her purse, keys, un-cashed paycheck still in the car. Local police investigated as best they could, eventually calling in the KBI (state police) for help. They had no luck finding her or any solid leads as to what happened to her. There were rumors that her live-in boyfriend had killed her, & he was indeed a suspect. But the authorities never could find any evidence to link him to her disappearance. Sometime in the mid 90's (again, don't recall exact year) skeletal remains were found in a creek bed several miles from town in a sparse rural area. Dental records identified the remains as those of the missing woman. I don't think they could even determine the cause of death, or if so, they never released that information. Haven't heard any more about the case since then, and it remains unsolved to this day.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:11 PM

274 posts, read 254,760 times
I have done a lot of research into my town of 40k and I can't find one crime that is really fascinating. None of the past cases stand out. None of them really got people talking.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:57 PM

7,399 posts, read 7,167,685 times
The most infamous crime around here was committed by Henry Lee Lucas. Lucas claimed to have killed 360 people although he was only ever charged with killing 22. In December of 1982, Lucas drifted through our small nearby town and fatally stabbed an elderly woman as she returned home from church.

I was not living here at that time.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:59 PM

1,333 posts, read 733,907 times
Kingsbury Run Murders in 1930s which was investigated by Elliott Ness while Safety Director of Cleveland.
Marilyn Shepherd murder in Bay Village OH i.e. Dr Sam Shephard Murder trial, the inspiration for "The Fugitive".

More recently the grisly house of horrors on Imperial Avenue in Cleveland where Anthony Sowell murdered 11 women
and buried them on the premises Anthony Sowell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia along with this well known story
Ariel Castro kidnappings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-18-2014, 12:05 AM

173 posts, read 40,553 times
When I was in high school, we were on the way home from my grandparents and heard on the radio about a murder in our small town. It was the first murder than in close to 30 years. A school teacher was murdered and her son, who was about 25 or 26 years old was the main suspect and was eventually arrested and charged with the crime. However, the city police botched the evidence and the crime scene and the state was unable to get a conviction. Now people deal with this guy on a regular basis and believe he's a murderer, but there's nothing the state can do.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:16 AM

7,114 posts, read 3,462,665 times
There was the so called Puponga Pony Poker, in these parts many years ago. I won't go into details, but it was the real deal, conviction and all.

I actually shook the guys hand once. Some one said to me " it's him, the PPP". They should have branded him on the face, so I could have known beforehand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime