Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 02:46 PM

26,712 posts, read 26,776,017 times

Advertisements

What's Your Favorite True Crime Book?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 03:36 PM

427 posts, read 439,970 times
Do you have a specific interest in the crime? For example, serial murder, family murder, spousal murder, murder for financial gain, children who kill, children who are killed by parents or killed by siblings...and so on. I enjoy well written True crime and will try to give you recommendations on books I have enjoyed if you narrow down your preferences.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:47 PM

927 posts, read 968,774 times
I liked,"This is the zodiac speaking" this case has always interested me, so probably not anywhere near the top of a real story list. I liked the crime libraries many, many stories. Too bad this site is no longer functioning.

Last edited by ezrider62; 09-03-2016 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: punctuation correction

Old 09-03-2016, 05:55 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Ann Rule is the queen. I especially liked her book on Bundy since she worked with him and never knew he was a serial killer
I just finished reading that one. I've actually read it twice. Good book.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:57 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyC View Post
Do you have a specific interest in the crime? For example, serial murder, family murder, spousal murder, murder for financial gain, children who kill, children who are killed by parents or killed by siblings...and so on. I enjoy well written True crime and will try to give you recommendations on books I have enjoyed if you narrow down your preferences.
Mainly, crime that has taken place in recent times. Current true crime stories. I'd say anything that has happened over the past 15 years or so. The older stuff isn't as interesting to me right now. For example, I'm looking to read a book about Jodi Arias. This is fairly recent crime. It doesn't have to be restricted to certain types of crimes.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:14 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,176,622 times
I just read book the prosecutor Juan Martinez wrote about Jodi ARias. It was short but interesting. He talked About some behind the scenes stuff about Jodi

Old 09-03-2016, 10:19 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Ann Rule is the queen. I especially liked her book on Bundy since she worked with him and never knew he was a serial killer
Yes I was about to mention that book, "The Stranger Beside Me". Best book on Bundy.

I see OP already read it, and wants books on recent crimes, say 2000 onwards.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:25 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I want to read true crime, prefer to read about more current ones (over the last 15 years). If anyone has a book recommendation.
I have a question. Why do you like true crime books? I worked in the library for years until I retired and for the life of me I could never figure out why anyone would want to read those horrible books. They made my skin crawl. And the people who read them were a very diverse group.

After a few years I could categorize different reading genre but the people who read the true crime books fit no mold. Everything from missionaries to homeless people read true crime. And many of them wanted to discuss the criminals and the details of what they had done which was the last thing I wanted to hear. I ended up on the jury of a murder case that made national news probably because of my lack of interest in crime. I was one of the few people who had not heard about the case because when the news came on I never listened to the crime report.

My statement on the questionnaire sent out by the DA said, "Who shot whom does not interest me." When I left the courtroom after the first day of trial I wondered if when I opened my car door, would it explode? It took a long time after that trial for me to feel safe again and sometimes I still wonder if I am really safe. Murder is not pretty and nice people don't commit murder unless their life is in danger.

Last edited by NCN; 09-03-2016 at 11:03 PM..

Old 09-03-2016, 10:28 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
I can't imagine true crime books based upon more recent events being all that good. In most cases they're expediently published to capitalize on current interest. For that reason I cannot imagine much detail going into hard research on constructing prose.

One author I consistently enjoy is T.J. English. He covers a lot of different aspects of organized crime.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:44 PM

5,573 posts, read 6,498,880 times
The book that got me started into True Crime is "Small Sacrifices" by Ann Rule. *Google Diane Downs. I heard all the female corrections officers talking about it so that piqued my interest. Ann Rule is my favorite True Crime author, by far, but Lowell Cauffiel wrote a True Crime book about an Ohio family that is mind-blowing. Not a "typical" family, that's for sure. That book ranks high up in my list of "memorable" reading. I hate to use the word "favorite" about any crime, just know that I recommend this book. The name of it is "House of Secrets." *Google Eddie Sexton.

There are any number of "memorable" True Crime books written about explosive crimes from the '80's going forward. I also recommend "Little Lost Angel" by Michael Quinlan. *Google Shanda Sharer.

Last, but certainly not least, is "Little Girl Lost" by Joan Merriam. *Google Shirley Wolf.

These 4 books made an impression on me, as I began reading True Crime in my 30's and had no idea the vicious acts that people can do to other people.

Oh, I just remembered another one, one of the first I read..... "Perfect Victim: The True Story of the Girl in the Box" by prosecutor Christine McGuire and Carla Norton. From the '70's, this was unprecedented at the time. *Google Colleen Stan.

*If you "Google" you will learn all about the crime, so I don't recommend it until after you read the books. Google-ing is good for a current update on the perps.[/color]

Last edited by Lodestar 77; 09-03-2016 at 11:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime