Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 10:04 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,829 times

Advertisements

Hard to make any correlation between serial killers and anyone else, except the propensity to commit horrific crimes. FYI, these crimes are almost ALWAYS sexually motivated, and that would be the one lone factor that ties them together. These people who do these things are, first and foremost, perverts. Pure and simple.

If I were heading a major crime unit that was looking for a potential serial killer, i would start with data about sex crimes from the area where victims were found. It could be a broad area, but narrowing down to deviants like this will be a big step. Sure, it's possible our perp has no record or other arrests, but these type of individuals almost always are motivated by some sick fantasy. Found out where these types hang out, what their habits are, and you can find the perp.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:18 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Well, ALL serial killers are hard to catch. Only part of the reason is that they kill the underprivileged. The main reason is that they usually kill strangers without a clear motive.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:10 PM

189 posts, read 275,759 times
Serial killers (and most other criminals) tend to predominantly victimize within their own race. Crimes against minorities are underreported, especially murders and disappearances. (Missing White Woman Syndrome). Ergo, most black serials -- however many may exist -- would target primarily black victims, whose disappearances would be less likely to be investigated thoroughly because of institutionalized racism, lack of family or media pressure, and so on. The murders would go unconnected, and the killers undetected... and even the ones that ARE detected, the media wouldn't give a **** about.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:39 AM

189 posts, read 275,759 times
He was bright enough, but had little motivation to do anything besides drink, commit murders, and try to hob-nob with folks far above his own socioeconomic standing.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:40 PM

26,724 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
ALL serial killers are hard to catch. Only part of the reason is that they kill the underprivileged. The main reason is that they usually kill strangers without a clear motive.
Or that, unfortunately, they just blend into the rest of society.

"In the end, what may be most disturbing about killers like Franklin is how dull they are, how little they resemble the bloodily baroque Hannibal Lecter figure we’ve come to expect. Their demons are lurid but also boring, and so are the lives these killers lead. Maybe that is why they are difficult to spot in the common thrum of humanity."

'The Grim Sleeper' is the story of the South L.A. serial killer and the women who were his victims - LA Times

Old 07-11-2017, 07:34 PM

162 posts, read 199,016 times
From Scientific American:https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...rsist-excerpt/
Reality:
Contrary to popular mythology, not all serial killers are white. Serial killers span all racial and ethnic groups in the U.S. The racial diversity of serial killers generally mirrors that of the overall U.S. population. There are well documented cases of African-American, Latino and Asian-American serial killers. African-Americans comprise the largest racial minority group among serial killers, representing approximately 20 percent of the total. Significantly, however, only white, and normally male, serial killers such as Ted Bundy become popular culture icons.

Although they are not household names like their infamous white counterparts, examples of prolific racial minority serial killers are Coral Eugene Watts, a black man from Michigan, known as the “Sunday Morning Slasher,” who murdered at least seventeen women in Michigan and Texas; Anthony Edward Sowell, a black man known as the “Cleveland Strangler” who kidnapped, raped and murdered eleven women in Ohio; and Rafael Resendez-Ramirez, a Mexican national known as the “Railroad Killer,” who killed as many as fifteen men and women in Kentucky, Texas, and Illinois.

(20% is hardly a majority of Serial Killers)

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-are-all-white

African-Americans comprise the largest racial minority group among serial killers, representing approximately 20 percent of the total. Significantly, however, only white, and normally male, serial killers such as Ted Bundy become popular culture icons.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:59 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
I think people are taking things out of context. Yes, there are or have been african-american serial killers. But there have plenty of cases of white serial killers who remain rather obscure. In light of the biggies (Gacy, et al), the black guy serial killers are likely to become lesser known, along with a host of white serial killers.

So there is not much to conclude here, I think, except that when details touch some fascination or level of "oh my God" reaction, the perpetrator in question gets much more flashback mention.

Berkowitz was getting messages from a dog, after all. Ramirez had a devotion to Lucifer and a love of metal music. Dahmer collected body parts.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:03 PM

876 posts, read 813,124 times
Serial killers are beyond the mind of the average person to grasp, thus our morbid fascination. Everyone is probably capable of murder under the right circumstances, in the heat of passion.

But to kill just to satisfy an appetite that is that like eating or the sex drive is next level creepy. And it can be years between killings, so it never really goes away. Until they get caught, die or become feeble they will continue.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:31 PM

387 posts, read 515,513 times
Well having worked 28 yrs in the NYState Department of Corrections I see several excellent comments on what makes these sociopaths tick.When they're confined they are cooperative, no problem to staff. But when you have to talk & interact with them you can see the character flaws, a bit too friendly, manipulative, trying hard to gain your confidence, insincere yet convincing. The average person not knowing the background is very vulnerable to trust this type of person and sadly it can end badly. I worked in a Admin Seg unit that housed these high profile inmates and had to interact daily with them.They weren't overly big or imposing types, pretty much average in many ways. The crimes they had been convicted of were horrific. I would always remind my wife, Do not take anyone for face value, don't trust a smile from a complete stranger, don't accept a ride or any favor from a complete stranger. She would hint I was paranoid because of my work, I would tell her you're the perfect victim if you trust a complete stranger.They are hunters, just be aware they exist, error on the side of caution is my best advice, report suspicious types....

Old 07-22-2017, 06:28 AM

26,724 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-staten island View Post
I see several excellent comments on what makes these sociopaths tick.
Most serial killers are psychopaths, not sociopaths.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ath-psychopath

"In reality, a psychopathic killer like Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy or Gary Ridgway (the “Green River Killer”), can be anyone — a neighbor, co-worker, lover, or a homeless person on the street. Any one of these seemingly harmless people may in reality be a stone-cold killer who preys on others. Psychopaths are social chameleons who rarely stand out in a crowd. This characteristic makes them unobtrusive and, therefore, difficult to apprehend (1).

Many of the most infamous and prolific serial killers in U.S. history have exhibited key traits of psychopathy, and many have been diagnosed as psychopaths by forensic psychologists following their capture. A cool and unemotional demeanor, combined with a keen intellect and a charming personality, make the psychopath a very effective predator."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...in-plain-sight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime