Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 12:12 AM

7,616 posts, read 8,682,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
When my daughter went to the SS office to report someone has been using her SS # for years, they suggested she does NOT change her SS number. They said a new SS # would be linked to her old one anyway. Does that make sense?
Similarly, I heard a police tell someone that the drivers license number can't be changed, either, even if someone stole it.

My guess is that want to be able to trace everyone's complete history. But if they don't change the numbers, what they should do is to void the validity of the number from the date that the right owner reported it missing, so that if anyone tried to use that number in anyway, such as filling a form to apply for something, then he/she should not be able to go through the application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 08:09 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,820,242 times
Just this week I got a pin number to use when we file our taxes so if that freak tries it again this year..it will be rejected...

Old 01-18-2015, 01:00 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,907,000 times
Went to the local weekend local swap meet (whatever) and picked up a baseball bat.

While sitting in the dark fell asleep and the dog barking woke me at 1:25 AM.....think the guy came back.

Am setting another trap for tonight...something different as this guy seems to be desperate for electrical items so probably will return as weekends seems to be his thing.....will aim for his knee caps....may take a while but from his past MO in the neighbors place I might just get lucky.

This guy just throws things around....takes petty items a kid would take...will show any updates.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:33 AM

849 posts, read 1,698,436 times
What has that got to do with Identity Theft?

Old 01-20-2015, 11:29 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,907,000 times
Well lets see HOW.

Birth certificate (original from 83 yrs ago)
US passport
US citizenship document
Car title and keys
House keys
Documents of property
18 yrs of property tax receipts
CC card info
US cell and info
Laptop (2)
32 inch TV
plus much more to list

Questioned at the border
Questioned at any CC purchase or DECLINED

Have returned one CC and have not received a NEW card yet

Am going to return BB CC as they are the PITTS to deal with re a face to face 3rd degree

Have a broken BathRm window to replace (not just the glass)

Put yourself in my shoes and then ask me again.

This person has turned my life upside down and I'm a young person at 83.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:57 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,632,363 times
My elderly & disabled brother had some checks and his SSN stolen by the boyfriend of a caregiver who worked for Home Instead. They used her former boyfriend's drivers license as ID to cash the checks. Fortunately I monitored his bank account daily because I lived in another State. Ultimately, the credit union covered the roughly $800 in forged checks. The duo also applied for several credit cards using their own address. Again, fortunately, the companies sent confirmation requests to my brother at my address because it was on the credit bureau reports.

I filed police reports on both incidents, and to make a long story short they eventually arrested and convicted the caregiver on the forgery charge. Her boyfriend skipped town. Early on, I notified Home Instead of the theft, and they told me in no uncertain terms that it could not possibly be their employee. During the investigation it became clear that she was involved, and she admitted to me that "someone" came into my brother's house when she was working there. I called Home Instead and they fired her. I have no doubt that she and her boyfriend were doing the same thing to other clients.

The detectives tried contacting the credit card companies for information on the fraudulent applications, but they never responded. They also never responded to my requests for information after I advised them of the bogus activity.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:17 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,632,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
One of my relatives once had a fraudulent charge on his credit card. He had never left his credit card away from his person, but after the investigation he was told that the card was physically swiped--in other words, the perp seemed to have possession of the actual card, not just knew the number. How is it possible to do it?
Anyone can buy portable credit card scanners that record your card information when they swipe it. If you eat in a restaurant, they can scan your card when they take it from the table. Any time you hand your credit card to someone, they can quickly swipe it without your knowledge. There are also people who will attach scanners to gas pumps and ATMs that record your card information when you use them. It's called skimming. The crooks return and remove the scanners at the end of the day.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:27 PM

27 posts, read 23,040 times
Sounds like they are dumb crooks, simbared. To think the dumb@#$% would use their personal identification, but it sounds like its working out for you. We've been dealing with the effects of identity theft too. Me and a couple of my family members were part of some data breaches in another state where we were living temporarily. When we moved out of that state, it became apparent that someone was using that stolen information during the breaches. It's a good thing we did everything we could do to protect our personal information. Immediately, I filed fraud alerts and kept up with the close monitoring of my accounts. 4 years following the breaches, and living in another state, I filed credit freezes--BEST thing I could have ever done! Because--ya know what? The police just busted the identity theft ring right next door to where I was taking my car for repairs! Just this past December, along with 3 mail theft rings.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:40 PM

27 posts, read 23,040 times
With a stolen drivers license, I would suggest going to the dmv and file a report there, because you can do this. I know someone else that did. There is a form that you can fill out too. It witholds personal information, instead of listing the new address. So...while the crooks are driving in a stolen vehicle, it abruptly stops...

Old 02-04-2015, 12:42 AM
YAZ

7,701 posts, read 14,067,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
Anyone can buy portable credit card scanners that record your card information when they swipe it. If you eat in a restaurant, they can scan your card when they take it from the table. Any time you hand your credit card to someone, they can quickly swipe it without your knowledge. There are also people who will attach scanners to gas pumps and ATMs that record your card information when you use them. It's called skimming. The crooks return and remove the scanners at the end of the day.
Yep.

And they then put your card info on another card and go shopping. Happened to me three years ago.

Online banking is a wonderful way to keep daily tabs on your accounts. Don't "autofill" your username and password though. Just in case someone breaks into your home and steals your PC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime