Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 07:56 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,213,418 times

Advertisements

I live just down the road from the first two, and my friend just down the road from the third.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaumo..._disappearance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taman_Shud_Case

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowtown_murders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 04:18 PM

10,807 posts, read 14,872,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
I lived about 3 km away from Paul Bernardo, Canadian serial killer whose wife, Karla Homolka, was a big help in luring teenage girls.
This one I still get get my head wrapped around.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:48 PM

764 posts, read 1,416,389 times
Growing up in the SF Bay Area in the 70s and 80s I remember several high profile murderers. The one that hit closest to home though was the murder of Marcy Conrad. I kind of knew her in that we went to the same school but she was a year or so behind me. I remember the horrific media frenzy and all the teens in the area being tainted with the same brush as the murderer - we were compared to those who did nothing to help out in the Kitty Genovese murder in NYC in 1964. The media said we (meaning the teens of Milpitas) were just as guilty as those who committed the crime.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:57 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,139,818 times
My vinyl supplier used to sell vinyl to Angelo Bono the hillside strangler. He went to the murder house many times because it was connected to his shop. He said he was just a ordinary guy but I heard Angelo hated women and was fine to men. He actually tortured his victims.

One of my workers was arrested for murder. He was in a gang and strung a guy up from garage beams and beat him to death. He was super nice to me and even brought cookies he did steal a power drill though I never got back.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:36 PM

1,104 posts, read 914,557 times
Not a famous murderer sadly. But one time I was living some place, one day a wife had an altercation with her husband and he ended up running her over with a car. There were journalists and photographers out there for a while.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:32 PM

88,139 posts, read 84,005,514 times
When I was a kid I would go over to my cousin's house in Mahwah, NJ, to play. Back then there was a cemetery down the street from their house, and behind the cemetery was a sandpit we were told not to go to because "a girl was murdered in there". Years later I realized it was the brutal 1957 murder of 15-year-old Victoria Zelinkski by Edgar Smith, who was sentenced to death, became a jailhouse lawyer, wrote a book Brief Against Death proclaiming his innocence, and got the conservative author William Buckley on his side

Buckley wrote about Smith, defended him, convinced people he was unfairly convicted, and helped Smith get his release after 14 years in prison. Smith was out for about five years and had moved to California, when he kidnapped and attempted to kill another woman, who managed to escape and get away with her life. He's still alive, in his 80s, and in a California prison.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:26 AM

759 posts, read 630,433 times
Not that I know of...

... but I do drive by the Green River on a daily basis as well as many other places where bodies were dumped.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Ridgway

Old 06-22-2016, 03:05 PM

3,847 posts, read 7,923,181 times
I have not but my aunt was lucky enough to be one of the very few lucky ones to escape being killed by the infamous Son of Sam in the Bronx.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:09 AM

6,401 posts, read 8,930,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
My relative's friend was killed by the Night Stalker Richard Ramirez.
One of my co-workers is from LA. Before he moved to Phoenix he worked with a woman that was killed by Ramirez.

I also know a guy that was a close friend with John Wayne Gacy's nephew and met him and Pogo on many occasions. He said he felt so terrible for the friend who was treated horribly by other kids at school after JWG was captured.

My hometown, Coldwater, MI, had a killer that had 15 minutes of fame, Dennis Depue. He murdered his wife in '90 and went on the lamb. His story was aired on Unsolved Mysteries and my friends' dad appeared on the show because he was the sheriff's deputy that initially investigated the crime scene. DePue killed himself in '91 in Mississippi after cornered by police.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:51 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,299,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrider62 View Post
I like this thread!

As a youngster I lived in the neighborhood location at the time of one of the "Gypsy Hill Killings", not the actual killer himself.

When I grew up I moved to Sonoma county and was looking into the number one Zodiac Killer suspect, Arthur Lee Allen, well, he happened to live directly across the street about 20 years earlier. When I found this out, I just could not believe it, but it is true.
Arthur Lee Allen was a suspect straight out of Central Casting. If you were producing a murder mystery movie, Allen is the type of suspect you would use — because he checks so many of the guilty boxes (and also looks the part) yet nothing substantive evidence wise sticks to him. But man — so much circumstantial evidence points to Allen being the Zodiac, right down to his wearing a Zodiac wristwatch to him just happening to be swimming at Lake Berryessa on the day that Zodiac knifed those two picnicking on the shoreline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime