U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread
Old 03-13-2015, 01:12 PM
434 posts, read 548,809 times

In the past, I have lived close to both John Wayne Gacy (albeit decades after the fact) and James Holmes. Have you ever lived close to either the residence of a well-known killer or the scene of their crimes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 01:14 PM
26,985 posts, read 19,288,863 times
No but Gacy did molest and murder a child I knew when I was in High School.
Also a friend of mine dated a guy for a while and a couple years after they broke up he murdered a Nurse who stopped to help him by giving him a ride on a very cold wintery day when his vehicle broke down on the highway.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:56 PM
327 posts, read 527,184 times
No, but a co-worker of mine went into a rage (I guess) and almost decapitated his wife. Something like 50 stab wounds, at home, with his 3 young children in the house. And this was a guy that you HONESTLY would never, ever think w/b capable of such horror. Just like those interviews on TV..."he was such a gentle soul, so mild mannered...". So true!

Really so very sad. He had to have just snapped. He loved his family, worked 2 jobs to try to provide a good life for them. He pleaded guilty to avoid the heartbreak of a trial. His father was briefly jailed for some kind of obstruction...an old man that just didn't do well in jail. Another part of the travesty. And her family kept his kids away from him. He lost everything. So sad.

You really never know what goes on behind closed doors.

(I guess he was famous locally only!)
Old 03-15-2015, 02:05 PM
183 posts, read 109,090 times
The Hillside Strangler (Kenneth Bianchi) worked security where my husband worked. He also was a security worker at the Fred Meyers we shopped. He murdered two of his coworkers in a home about five miles away from wher we live. Close enough.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:40 PM
234 posts, read 100,376 times
I like this thread!

As a youngster I lived in the neighborhood location at the time of one of the "Gypsy Hill Killings", not the actual killer himself.

When I grew up I moved to Sonoma county and was looking into the number one Zodiac Killer suspect, Arthur Lee Allen, well, he happened to live directly across the street about 20 years earlier. When I found this out, I just could not believe it, but it is true.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:34 AM
7,197 posts, read 7,213,051 times
Both the Hillside Strangler and The Night Stalker.
Anyone remember the "Night Stalker"?
Old 03-16-2015, 08:48 AM
4,945 posts, read 2,045,505 times
Famous to who? This person wasn't famous as in celebrity, but I knew him quite well. My sister divorced her husband, the father of their now 8 year old son, a few years ago. In 2013, her ex-husband rode a bicycle over to his then girlfriend's house. Upon finding the gf in bed with another man, he stabbed her to death with a long kitchen knife, and attempted to repeat this process with the male visitor, but only succeeded in wounding him critically instead. Police were immediately called after hearing the loud commotion at the home, and he was quickly arrested and charged. My sister heard the news right away. She was horrified. Although she wasn't fond of her ex, she never suspected he would do this, nor did I. I knew him pretty well, but I guess he isn't the type to forgive and forget in matters of love After a protracted length of time languishing in jail, the defense attorney did a plea deal with the DA this last January: 30 years without parole.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:16 PM
11,547 posts, read 9,184,274 times
the zodiac in the bay area of ca. eddie kemper in santa cruz ca area. both put a big fear into the local population at the time.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:39 PM
930 posts, read 521,081 times
In 1997 I was living in Miami beach close to where Andrew Cunanan killed Giani Vercase.

Andrew Cunanan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 03-21-2015, 11:17 PM
11,038 posts, read 6,010,562 times
I don't live all that far away from where Anthony Sowell killed 11 prostitutes and buried them in his back yard, and had body parts in buckets in his basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime